Hopper 3 not coming out of standby without front panel reboot

JAF

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Everyday last week when I went to turn on the Hopper in the evening I would see a green light on the front of the unit but no signal was being sent to the TV. No moving screen saver, just a blank screen. Each time I would hold down the front panel button and the unit would come back on and be normal the rest of the evening. When the hopper was in this state, each of my Joeys had an error message that they were unable to communicate with the Hopper but once the Hopper was rebooted they too worked as they should. I called Dish twice about this and they are sending a tech out on Saturday to look things over and probably replace the Hopper. In the mean time I'm spending the rest of the week moving my recordings over to an external hard drive. It's a little frustrating in the fact the Hopper seems to work just fine and I've never had problems with it but it doesn't want to wake up from being in standby mode. The two people I talked to at Dish said they never heard of this. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have seen it and I agree, time for a new Hopper or a factory reset. Something is causing it to feeze up, just like a computer can, occassionally. A memory leak/error, most likely.

A Factory reset could help. Once you get things transferred, if you want to give it a shot, and I do mean if - may or may not have the desired results - do a Factory reset in the Tools Menu on the Diagnostic screen.
Once it's done, let it sit for about 30 minutes.
This will probably delete the Joey Software, which shouldn't be an issue, because your Joeys already have software, but just for the sake of trying, after that 30 minutes, try to do a Update Software in that same tools menu and see if it d/l's all the software.

Now, before you do anything, also in the tools menu, backup settings to your remote, just in case you need to restore them.

Then see how it goes while you're waiting on a tech

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, it figures. Darn thing has worked just fine everyday since I called in and made an appointment. I see no reason now to have a tech show up, if it's still working tonight, I'll cancel. Of course now I'm stuck paying the $8.99 month protection plan for the next six month because the rep talked me into it. Funny how that works. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts