Hopper 3, one Joey, four TVs?

ViewFromSpace

Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
CINCINNATI
I'd like to send the 2nd TV HDMI out from the Joey (from a yet 2b ordered Hopper
3 s/u) thru a cat5/6 distribution with a dedicated net switch. Plan to use a Cable Matters HDMI Extender to send and multiple Cable Matters receivers on the other end of the switch. Any flaws in my plan?

I'd like to send the 2nd TV HDMI out from the Joey (from a yet 2b ordered Hopper
3 s/u) thru a cat5/6 distribution with a dedicated net switch. Plan to use a Cable Matters HDMI Extender to send and multiple Cable Matters receivers on the other end of the switch. Any flaws in my plan?
Not really, as long as "dedicated net switch" means a dedicated 1X4 type HDMI distribution product and not an Ethernet switch. HDMI over cat6 is not HDMI over Ethernet.

I have roku's on my non dish tv's so when the kids want to watch the hopper they use dish anywhere and screen mirror phone to roku.

I also just added slingbox to joey so both kids would be able to stream to tv. (Didn't feel like running all that wire.)

Just a thought.

Thanks for both or your replies

I'd not though of/considered the alternative, Roku, etc means.

I pulled over a mile of cable while we were building and, dammit, I'm determined to use it! Really ... this looks like a very economical and reliable means and, rather than add another subscription, think I'll via lighting some unused cable. (The goal = have Dish on 4 TV's w/out paying the $168/yr to rent Joey's for TV's 3 & 4)

This is what I have in mind - the last pic tells the tale

Amazon product ASIN B00OZV04BK
It rates good. Looks like an easy system to expand, just add another receiver

Amazon product ASIN B00VTT0YE8
I was just curious to know if there was some means Dish built-in to thwart those like me from implementing. I assume the Joey HDMI output is pedestrian but better to ask B4 the credit card is engaged. I was really hoping there'd be someone here who has had success running the same set-up.

...It rates good. Looks like an easy system to expand, just add another receiver...

This hardware will not work the way I think you intend it to work, you cannot just add another receiver and share the signal.

This is a one to one device, meaning you connect the transmitter to the HDMI output on your box (Hopper or Joey), then run a cat6 cable to directly to the receiver (not via your Ethernet network), and connect the receiver to your TV via an HDMI cable.

This hardware will not work the way I think you intend it to work, you cannot just add another receiver and share the signal.

This is a one to one device, meaning you connect the transmitter to the HDMI output on your box (Hopper or Joey), then run a cat6 cable to directly to the receiver (not via your Ethernet network), and connect the receiver to your TV via an HDMI cable.

Not so sure and believe this has evolved to do what has been described

From their website (not allowing link post)
Cbl Mtrs net switch.jpg

>>Add up to 8 Displays
Connecting up to 8 displays is as simple as connecting additional Receiver Boxes (sold separately) for the HDMI Extender Transmitter through an unmanaged, dedicated network switch. Each display can be located up to 300 feet from the Transmitter box. <<

I think the pivotal, operative word is "dedicated" switch. They sell additional receivers separately. Curiously, sold on Amzn but not found on their own website

Reactions: RicknTX
Not so sure and believe this has evolved to do what has been described

From their website (not allowing link post)View attachment 114542

>>Add up to 8 Displays
Connecting up to 8 displays is as simple as connecting additional Receiver Boxes (sold separately) for the HDMI Extender Transmitter through an unmanaged, dedicated network switch. Each display can be located up to 300 feet from the Transmitter box. <<

I think the pivotal, operative word is "dedicated" switch. They sell additional receivers separately. Curiously, sold on Amzn but not found on their own website

I stand corrected. That is awesome and I may need to look into this myself.

thanks

A few things to think about before you purchase.
First, this does not look like it will transmit 4K video. If you didn't care about 4K then no big deal.
2nd, Will it cooperate with copy written material. HDMI can be pretty finicky due to copy protection. I believe the latest standard is HDCP 2.2.
Most HDMI Matrix switch configurations I have seen that do 4K and play nice with HDCP 2.2 are upwards of $4-5K.
For reference, check out the Atlona HDMI Matrix switches on Amazon.
If the solution you are proposing works, Please let us know because that is an excellent price point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)