Hopper 3 picture quality versus other receivers

fmj77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Western North Carolina
Can anyone tell me if I'll get better picture quality with the H3 versus my VIP 722k? Been thinking of upgrading to the newest and finest that Dish offers if it'll improve the picture on my Sony Bravia 4k TV.

I don't have a Hopper but have access to one since begining of the year. I have a VIP receiver like the 722 and my opinion is perhaps a little sharper looking but not night and day difference. Of course the Hopper 3 can do 4K and DISH has a 4K channel so that would give you (at least theoretically and as of now in reality) a better picture.

I was able to use my own TV when we set up my Daughter's Hopper so I could see - or not see - any differences. I had to change the sharpness some and a few other settings with the Hopper 3. Though not side by side I feel confident what I saw was a slightly better picture but again not night and day.

Hopper 3 definitely will have a much newer chip set than the older receiver. So the picture quality will be better for regular Sd ,HD, and of course 4K.

Is the picture quality of the H3 the issue or is it Dish's compression and/or frame rates or whatever else they do? Put simply, is the problem with Dish and not the equipment? The other day I watched a relatively popular horror movie that was on MGM (385). I remembered that I recorded this particular movie years ago when it was on Monsters HD (VOOM), so I played the recorded movie on my H2 (it was originally recorded off of my 622) and it was obvious that it was a much sharper an crisper display. A noticeably better picture.

I got the H3 because some people raved about a better picture but I can't see the difference between 211k and H3. Maybe this is because my TV's do a good job upconverting signal already. Its really not about resolution but bitrate when it comes to PQ, how soft or sharp the image looks. I don't think a new chip can fix missing data (bitrate).

Until Dish stops sending HD lite it will always have a somewhat softer image and playing second fiddle to streaming services that send full bitrate for specific resolution. IE Netflix, HBO, Amazon and even Sony's Vue with full 720P 60fps, 5200 bitrate looks as good for 1/2 the price and my main TV feed. I only use the 211K for Welcome Pkg. primarily my missing local networks and now MLB EI subscription while the H3 is currently unsubscribed.

Reactions: pattykay
Is the picture quality of the H3 the issue or is it Dish's compression and/or frame rates or whatever else they do? Put simply, is the problem with Dish and not the equipment? The other day I watched a relatively popular horror movie that was on MGM (385). I remembered that I recorded this particular movie years ago when it was on Monsters HD (VOOM), so I played the recorded movie on my H2 (it was originally recorded off of my 622) and it was obvious that it was a much sharper an crisper display. A noticeably better picture.
IF you recorded that Voom Monsters HD movie when they first came on DISH ,then yes you got full hd resolution before DISH went to HD lite. So yes the picture would look better than today ,where DISH puts 8 hd channels on one transponder and in hd lite.

IF you recorded that Voom Monsters HD movie when they first came on DISH ,then yes you got full hd resolution before DISH went to HD lite. So yes the picture would look better than today ,where DISH puts 8 hd channels on one transponder and in hd lite.
It's amazing what we can get used to. You don't realize how much better until you see the same content in full HD.

Reactions: MikeD-C05