Hopper 3 pixelation and picture freezing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jaredbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Indiana
I have a Hopper 3 with an OTA adaptor. The past week or two, the picture has started to pixelate while watching an OTA channel and then eventually the Hopper reboots itself. I can, occasionally, change the channel and then return to the channel but that has seemed to stop working.

I’m also getting pixelation on the Joeys again. I had this issue several months ago but it seemed to eventually disappear. Not sure if the two are related.

This is getting old Dish!

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

There is a stickey thread with all the latest software revisions for Dish receivers.

Could someone tell me which software version is the latest for HWS. Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread just for this.
Yes. This is why I started the sticky thread linked above, and is also why I requested that the moderators edit that thread's title, so that everyone could see the latest versions at a glance without having to ask or look too far to find that information. Apparently, the moderators still haven't gotten the message, or gotten around to implementing it. To save you the trouble of going to that thread, the latest HWS version is U740.

Looks like I have U935 and when I try to update, it says my software is updated. Is there a way around that?
IF U936 is actually available for your receiver yet (Dish does the rollout slowly over several weeks) then there are other ways to force it, some of which we are not allowed to discuss here. One way that we are allowed to mention (if I remember correctly) would be to press Info, then Recall, while you are on the Diagnostics screen. This would walk you through the Setup Wizard again, which would also force a new software download. Keep in mind that with this option, you would then need to go through the Menus and re-do all of your settings from scratch. So, it may not be worth it, especially if all you end up with is just another fresh download of U935, instead of U936.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes. This is why I started the sticky thread linked above, and is also why I requested that the moderators edit that thread's title, so that everyone could see the latest versions at a glance without having to ask or look too far to find that information. Apparently, the moderators still haven't gotten the message, or gotten around to implementing it. To save you the trouble of going to that thread, the latest HWS version is U740.
Thanks!

Sent from my cheap phone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
Just updated from 935 to 936 . I hope that does it. I've been having to reboot my H3 every couple of days to play back any recorded OTA shows. I was about ready to ditch OTA and go back to locals on the dish, even if it did cost me $10 a month. Strange how only OTA recorded shows were affected.

Last edited:
Just updated from 935 to 936 . I hope that does it. I've been having to reboot my H3 every couple of days to play back any recorded OTA shows. I was about ready to ditch OTA and go back to locals on the dish, even if it did cost me $10 a month. Strange it only does that with OTA recorded shows.
Locals are now $12 a month...

I have a HwS with OTA, Super Joey, and 2 Joeys. Before the software update, I would have to channel up / down to correct the the pixelization issue about once or twice a day. Its been two weeks since the updates and have not seen any pixelization on any of my Joeys. Happy camper!!

I've had an H3 for 3 or 4 years and just recently went to the dual OTA adapter on the H3 and added two 4k Joeys. I saw the pixelation problem a few times after adding the OTA adapter. However, it went away about two weeks BEFORE the U936 update.

One thing I did that might have helped is that I added a length of USB extension cable to the cable that was already part of the white AirTV adapter, which allowed me to get the adapter and the antenna connection farther away from the H3 and farther from the coax connected to the H3. It has been solid since I did that, and it has stayed solid since the software update. Might be worth trying.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hopper 3. Sound works fine but the screen pixelates and freezes. You have to channel up or down before it corrects itself.
I have seen the same thing occasionally on my Hopper Duo. I had chalked it up to just an unreliable OTA signal from that particular station. It was working perfectly fine last night, though. I did not add the OTA adapter until after the last software update, so I do not know if it would have had the same issue with the previous software. It does make me wonder if maybe Dish sends software updates for the OTA adapter drivers independently of any updates to the overall software. So, it may not show up as a new "U" version, but there still could be some sort of update to help deal with OTA issues. That would explain the different timing of why some people see the issue go away before the main receiver software version gets updated.

Makes me wonder if this is a way for Dish to get back that monthly $12 fee.
Not likely. Dish seems to be relying on switching customers to OTA for their locals, to keep them satisfied. It was posted recently that the local channels that were dropped due to a dispute, in many major markets across the country, are likely to stay off Dish, since customers have other ways of receiving them:
The stations that went black 3-4 months ago are likely to stay black since those customers have found other sources of supply. ...

Hopper 3. Sound works fine but the screen pixelates and freezes. You have to channel up or down before it corrects itself.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
The original issue that we were experiencing that seems to be fixed with the latest software update was dealing with pixelation on the Joeys only, wired or wireless. Before the update, was your H3 affected like this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)