Hopper 3 - Please wait refresh in progress

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some kind of impedance in the cabling that's causing this period maybe a leftover DirecTV splitter, or a cable that's been crimped or has gotten water infiltration through a connector that's not tight or something along those lines

Reactions: dweber and pattykay
A typical surge protector uses a component called a metal oxide varistor (MOV). When the voltage spikes, the surge protector effectively diverts that extra voltage to the MOV component. This component degrades when it’s exposed to either a small number of large surges or a larger number of smaller surges. The additional energy doesn’t damage your devices — it stays in the surge protector, where it degrades the MOV.

In other words, your surge protector can only absorb so many surges before it stops functioning as a surge protector and starts functioning as a dumb power strip that’ll let everything through to your devices.

Reactions: sktrus
Well.. less than 5 hours after my call this morning, I have had to call back once again. I turned the hopper on to watch TV at lunch. It came on fine, no messages or anything, but when I pressed the guide and tried to change the channel, it would not respond. Was able to get into Diagnostics > Check status > and tried to run a check, but it got to 20% and would not go any further. I was on the phone with advanced tech support (thats all I ask for when I call now) and he said he was going to submit a ticket for this issue, then we got disconnected. Figured he would call back since he had all my info, but guess I'll be calling back again next time it happens.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I think I would be upset with your technicians because the first guy came out and replaced the hopper but did not check any cabling or did not check for signal, as she stated then he came back and blindly said that it was your OTA adapter. The only thing it can be is either the lnb or something in the cabling as I posted earlier. When you get another tech out there, I would absolutely demand and not stand for anything less than a full sweep, end-to-end, 100% of your system. Every connector, every wall plate and replace the lnb and replace the solo hub.

your experiences sounds awful. strange it continues to act up even after replacement. prior to dish i had directv. they also told me a few times to bypass a surge protector and plug directly to the wall. of course i thought that was crazy and i never did that. i have used APC battery backups/surge protectors for years. i have all my dish/tv/computers plugged into them. never once had a problem. i replace them about every 3 years or as needed. it comes in handy when the power flickers during a recording or watching something good :)

whenever a tech came out for me the first thing done was check the lnb and splitters & go from there. i hope it gets worked out. i know stuff like this is very aggravating. i am curious as to what they find to be the issue....

fwiw, about 10yrs ago i had a intermittent "searching for satellite signal" that would pop up at random times on my directv system. it would wipe out the buffers and prevent channel changes and menu access for as long as it was showing. tech replaced the genie, splitter and the lnb. finally they ran all new cables under the floor and that fixed the problem. those same wires are being used today with my dish system.

i have used APC battery backups/surge protectors for years. i have all my dish/tv/computers plugged into them. never once had a problem. i replace them about every 3 years or as needed.
Now you've got me worried. I have 2 APC SmartUps which I have had for so many years, I've lost count. I think I've replaced the batteries in those backups 4 times. Does some other component (a MOV?) fail in there like it does on surge protectors?

I will try with the Hopper plugged directly into the outlet for a few days and see how it reacts. The tech that came out again Saturday morning plugged some type of tester into my surge protector and said it was fine to him. I know equipment needs to be replaced after time, and I know I have had cheaper power strips where a single outlet will go back and quit working when the rest are still ok.

On the phone with Dish again this morning.. same error message I've had for almost a month now "please wait, refresh in progress"!!! :mad:

They are sending a tech out between 12-5 CST today. I had left the hopper on and did not rest it, hoping that it was still showing the refresh in progress message, but I just went to check on it and it seems to be working now. There is still something wrong, It should not be doing this and I should not have to reset the hopper every morning before watching TV.

No EHD is plugged into the hopper. I only have a network cable and HDMI cable connected currently, and the hopper is still plugged into the wall outlet.

Now you've got me worried. I have 2 APC SmartUps which I have had for so many years, I've lost count. I think I've replaced the batteries in those backups 4 times. Does some other component (a MOV?) fail in there like it does on surge protectors?

I think it takes a lot to kill a good ups. only once I've had one die completely. few years ago i had a lightning strike near by (very near by). I thought I was gonna die it was so loud lol ..but anyway, I had blue sparks coming from my ac vents and tv speakers. one ups was fried but the equipment connected to that & other ups devices throughout my house were not affected. I have a lot of tech gadgets in my home. I find replacing the units every 3yrs or so is cheap insurance. I could replace the battery but I have frequent surges in this area and it gives me peace of mind to just replace the whole thing just in case the "sizzle" it makes during a surge may have damaged it.

if you have the means to replace those apc units, I definitely would. its possible they may still be good but I would find it hard to trust them. I have my ups plugged into an apc wall outlet surge protector also. overkill? perhaps. but it does give me peace of mind :)

• Sad
I did run the check status again when I noticed the hopper was not showing the error any longer, but it has been at 60% since the last 1 1/2 hours now, and the circle on the System Status box is still spinning so something is still off. I took a picture to show the tech when he gets here.

Surge protectors do definitely go bad. I was having a terrible time with my cable internet constantly going up and down, and Comcast finally did some remote diagnostics and told me there were major fluctuations in the power and signal detected. They scheduled a tech. So I went into the basement to check all the cables again and noticed the surge protector the modem was plugged into had a Green Ready and a Red Bad light. The red light was lit up. I unplugged the surge protector and all my issues went away and I canceled the tech.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish tech just left, replaced the connector at the dish and the HUB in the attic. He said the signal from the hopper to the dish was a little off. He went out and tested the signal at the dish itself, and said it looked good, so that it must be something between the 2. Hopefully this has resolved the issue finally!

Dish tech just left, replaced the connector at the dish and the HUB in the attic. He said the signal from the hopper to the dish was a little off. He went out and tested the signal at the dish itself, and said it looked good, so that it must be something between the 2. Hopefully this has resolved the issue finally!
Hmmmm, I'll keep my fingers crossed

Back to square one, hopper was replaced yesterday afternoon and have same error again this morning. Dish support is no help, just tell me to rest it and call back if it happens again.

Is there another number besides the 1-800-333-3474 number to call for this? (I have this number memorized by the way) :(
Did this ever get resolved ? Same thing happening to me. February 2022. gbfanken@charter.net. Thank you.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Did this ever get resolved ? Same thing happening to me. February 2022. gbfanken@charter.net. Thank you.
Same problem for me. Dish support was useless, they say they can only help when it is in failure mode. Personally, I think it is a hardware problem with the hopper and when they swap them out, they are just swapping a unit that has already been returned for problems that they can't find so the mark it as "No trouble found" and send it out again.

I've been fighting this same issue for the last few weeks. I replaced the my DPH42 hybrid switch thinking this was the problem, but the problem still occurs at random times. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, other times it can be a couple days between events. I have not called Dish about it figuring this is my issue since I own all the equipment. In fact I just ordered another Hopper 3 to replace this one thinking it must be the problem. Now I read this thread and I don't know what to think anymore. I guess I'll see in about a week when I swap over to the replacement.

Reactions: HipKat