Hopper 3 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skyking69

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Honey Grove, TX
Hi all,

Long time 922/722 user that just upgraded to a Hopper 3 yesterday. I have some questions I hope will be simple, even though I have had trouble finding answers when I searched here and elsewhere on the Internet.

1. My configuration is one Hopper 3 and three Joey's. Each came with one remote. I have configured two iPhones to also control the Hopper and I have ordered three additional remotes (We like to have them scattered all over the main room.). Is there a limit to the number of remotes that can be paired to a Hopper 3? What about a Joey?
  2. I moved a 1TB external drive over from one of the old boxes. Somewhere I read when you connect an external drive you lose the internal drive. Is this true or not? What is the maximum capacity of an external HDD? Any reason you cannot use an SSD?
  3. When I went to bed last night The Weather Channel channel was on and I just turned the TV off. Just like I previously did with the 922. When I woke up this morning and turned the TV on it said no signal. Sure enough, no lights on the Hopper, so I pushed the Hopper power button on the remote. A green LED came on, but still no signal. After 5-10 minutes I tried turning both off and back on again with the same (no) result. I then did a red button hard reset on the Hopper and all is well. When I went to Dish and did a chat: A) It was clear they were working off a script., B) They had no clue., C) They said to see if it does it tomorrow and if so they would schedule having it replaced. I read lots of comments about this same problem all over, but nobody has posted a solution that I have seen. Does anybody here have any idea?

4. How do you configure the guide to only show your HD channels. In other words, the ones you are subscribed to and only the HD offerings. This was easy using a drop down list on the 922, but I can't seem to figure it out with the Hopper.
Thanks all!

Phillip

Hi all,

Long time 922/722 user that just upgraded to a Hopper 3 yesterday. I have some questions I hope will be simple, even though I have had trouble finding answers when I searched here and elsewhere on the Internet.

1. My configuration is one Hopper 3 and three Joey's. Each came with one remote. I have configured two iPhones to also control the Hopper and I have ordered three additional remotes (We like to have them scattered all over the main room.). Is there a limit to the number of remotes that can be paired to a Hopper 3? What about a Joey?
  1. the limit is 8 remotes each
    [*]I moved a 1TB external drive over from one of the old boxes. Somewhere I read when you connect an external drive you lose the internal drive. Is this true or not? What is the maximum capacity of an external HDD? Any reason you cannot use an SSD?
    2TB is the official limit however 3TB works for some
    [*]When I went to bed last night The Weather Channel channel was on and I just turned the TV off. Just like I previously did with the 922. When I woke up this morning and turned the TV on it said no signal. Sure enough, no lights on the Hopper, so I pushed the Hopper power button on the remote. A green LED came on, but still no signal. After 5-10 minutes I tried turning both off and back on again with the same (no) result. I then did a red button hard reset on the Hopper and all is well. When I went to Dish and did a chat: A) It was clear they were working off a script., B) They had no clue., C) They said to see if it does it tomorrow and if so they would schedule having it replaced. I read lots of comments about this same problem all over, but nobody has posted a solution that I have seen. Does anybody here have any idea?
    Someone else will need to answer this one
    [*]How do you configure the guide to only show your HD channels. In other words, the ones you are subscribed to and only the HD offerings. This was easy using a drop down list on the 922, but I can't seem to figure it out with the Hopper.
Thanks all!

Phillip
This is not an option on the Hopper, you can set to hide the SD duplicates but all the subscribed SD will show in the guide unless you create a favorites list.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Losing the internal drive with an EHD is a DirecTV issue. You can have 3 EHDs active on your Hopper3 at any one time. SSDs are not supported. You need powered EHDs or a powered USB hub for the EHD(s).

Reactions: charlesrshell
navychop,

The four remotes I received appear to operate as RF, not IR. I did not know there were any IR remotes available. Since each remote is paired to its respective device I don't really see the point of IR. So, maybe someone can also illuminate me on that aspect of this new box, and tell me how to identify the differences between the remotes? The 722 and 922 both had RF and IR remotes, but that was because the STB might be in another room from where the TVs were. With the Joey's being paired...

Thanks,

Phil

navychop,

The four remotes I received appear to operate as RF, not IR. I did not know there were any IR remotes available. Since each remote is paired to its respective device I don't really see the point of IR. So, maybe someone can also illuminate me on that aspect of this new box, and tell me how to identify the differences between the remotes? The 722 and 922 both had RF and IR remotes, but that was because the STB might be in another room from where the TVs were. With the Joey's being paired...

Thanks,

Phil
I prefer to use Harmony remotes to control my HT. They are IR.

Reactions: DWS44 and Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)