Hopper 3 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thepick48

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Arizona
I am looking to switch to Dish and get a hopper 3. Just had a few questions.

First what remote comes with it? Is it radio controlled so I don't need a line of sight for it? Assuming the 4K joeys comes with the same remote. I really need to buy 2 or 3 more for it. What remote would you recommend?

Is the HopperGo really a good product? I see them on eBay for about $75. I travel a lot on planes and when I do family trips figured it would be great to hook up to my 5 year old's kindle so he can switch his shows on car rides. Assuming it doesn't matter if they are used, it is not tied to the account is it? Probably will just buy a new one but just in case.

Does Dish run coax into rooms that do not have them? Is it included in a basic install? I really don't want to use the wireless Joey. I am okay if they need to run the wire into the side of the house. I know they probably don't go down the wall in the basic install.

Any speed issues if I decided to use the "Hopper Internet Connector"? My Hopper maybe at the edge of my WiFi connection. I figured I would just have it wired and if I don't like it I can always hook it up to the WiFi. Assuming that won't be an issue. Do they usually get the internet connector for free during install or do I have to request it?

Sorry about all the questions. I asked the rep on the phone but to be honest he sounded clueless. Assuming he is new the job of sales. Or maybe sales has no training in the technical side.

You guys are the best!

I believe, but do not know for sure, that the H3 remote you will likely get does both IR and RF. I use Harmony remotes and highly recommend them. One remote can control your entire HT.

What little I've heard about the Go was good. But you can download a few programs onto a tablet using Dish Anywhere and not have to buy/carry another gadget.

Dish will run coax, within reason. I always run my own. I fish walls. The Dish installer probably won't.

HICs are good, if you really need one. I believe you need to reque$t it.

The Dish CSR knows how to answer the phone. Cough cough. There can be a lot of buttons on a fancy phone system....

First what remote comes with it? Is it radio controlled so I don't need a line of sight for it? Assuming the 4K joeys comes with the same remote. I really need to buy 2 or 3 more for it. What remote would you recommend?

Is the HopperGo really a good product? I see them on eBay for about $75. I travel a lot on planes and when I do family trips figured it would be great to hook up to my 5 year old's kindle so he can switch his shows on car rides. Assuming it doesn't matter if they are used, it is not tied to the account is it? Probably will just buy a new one but just in case.

Does Dish run coax into rooms that do not have them? Is it included in a basic install? I really don't want to use the wireless Joey. I am okay if they need to run the wire into the side of the house. I know they probably don't go down the wall in the basic install.

Any speed issues if I decided to use the "Hopper Internet Connector"? My Hopper maybe at the edge of my WiFi connection. I figured I would just have it wired and if I don't like it I can always hook it up to the WiFi. Assuming that won't be an issue. Do they usually get the internet connector for free during install or do I have to request it?

Sorry about all the questions. I asked the rep on the phone but to be honest he sounded clueless. Assuming he is new the job of sales. Or maybe sales has no training in the technical side.

You guys are the best!

The Hopper 3 comes with a 52 remote, the 4kJ comes with a 40. I prefer the 40 but after install you can decide for yourself.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I really am looking forward towards the new setup. You all are much more educated then the sales staff on the phone.

Sorry one more question, if I have 3 remotes assigned to the Hopper 3 or Joeys and hit the find remote button, will it make all three remotes beep?

Sorry one more question, if I have 3 remotes assigned to the Hopper 3 or Joeys and hit the find remote button, will it make all three remotes
No, just the remote that was last used when you hit the Locate button at the Hopper. Also if you hit the Locate button for a particular remote in the Diagnostics menu.

Reactions: pattykay

You guys are the best!
Who are you switching from? Just curious.

You guys are the best!

IMHO, I only think the Hopper Go is worth it if you don't have much storage capacity on your tablet/phone to transfer the recordings directly to the device(s), or you want to share the same recording(s) with multiple devices. Other people really like them though, so "grain of salt."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)