Hopper 3 Randomly Pausing On DVR Content... Sluggish When Skipping Forward Too

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
For the last month, my Hopper 3 will randomly pause for a 1-3 seconds when playing back a recorded show.

It also will become semi unresponsive, I do a 30 second skip and it pauses for up to 5 seconds before the skip happens.

No real issues with live TV, just the DVR. It's many years old, so I am suspecting a failing hard drive.

I just ran a software update and this doesn't happen *all* the time

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Did you try a power cord reboot? Pull the plug and wait about a minute and plug back in . This should be done so often and after a software update is complete. Works a lot of the bugs out when you do . If still doing it you need to call and get a replacement with DISH.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Did you try a power cord reboot? Pull the plug and wait about a minute and plug back in . This should be done so often and after a software update is complete. Works a lot of the bugs out when you do . If still doing it you need to call and get a replacement with DISH.
Yes, that was my first move, then I ran software update from the technician window and let it redownload everything and a fresh guide.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Seeing the same thing. Also lags just between on-screen (like on the DVR program list) when I bring up a recorded show, and you have the two Watch and Delete buttons. It's on Watch, I can press the down arrow multiple times and nothing happens. I get out of screen, go back in and magically it works.

Never had it happen before H316. There are other non-explained lags that it looks like the software goes to lunch every once in a while. Happens on a real 54 remote and also an I/R Harmony One. So it's not the remotes

In addition to the black screen on cold start up I ve been having I have also noticed the random pausing when trying to skip forward. Seems like some major bugs were included in 316. We hopefully cannot all be having hard drive problems,

Reactions: ferl
In addition to the black screen on cold start up I ve been having I have also noticed the random pausing when trying to skip forward. Seems like some major bugs were included in 316. We hopefully cannot all be having hard drive problems,
To follow up on this a little, we just returned home today after being gone for about a week. Was using dish anywhere almost every night and it worked well except for some lip sync problems. When I turned the tv on for the first time today I got nothing but sound, no pic. Waited a few seconds and shut it all off. Restarted it again and same results so I shut it down again. Restarted it the 3rd time and the screen finally came on. Fast forward a few hours and went to the DVR to watch some of our shows. The DVR shows we have 5 episodes of NCIS LA yet when I click on the pic I get nothing but the green boxes lighting up for over a minute with nothing loading! I had FBI showing 2 episodes that took over 10 secs to load but at least they are still there. The DVR shows we had 4 episodes of Bull available but when I click on the pic i get 10 secs of searching and the “No episodes available” comes up. I’m guessing this hard drive is on its last legs. (Forgive the rant please. Just did a hard reset and things seem to be back to normal again. Will know better when I fire it up in the morning).

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Thank all of you for that.

I do need to add that I experienced this on the version prior (I forced the update to H316 myself, hoping it would cure it).

I'll hang tight on the receiver, since some of you are seeing this too and wait for the next software.

I will contact the Twitter team and report it, though, when I ran diagnostics, it passed every test, including the hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)