Hopper 3 Remote (54) Loses IR Commands

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Electrojim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Brea, CA
In a previous thread, I thought that the Hopper remote had lost sync with the sat receiver and TV, but now it seems that what's actually the problem is that the remote simply forgets the coding for the IR command for just the TV. The on-screen remote programming guide still shows the pairing code for the TV, but the remote power button no longer turns the TV off. The TV's remote works fine, and the IR command for the soundbar (AUX) works, but not for the TV. I have to go into the programming routine, clear the code then re-enter the model number of the TV in the appropriate spot. The routine then shows the same pairing code but it now works. Anyone else with this? What could it be?

When the remote is not working to control the TV, does the "TV" light at the top of the remote light up at all when you press the Power button? If it does light up, is it only a faint brief flicker, or does it light up fully? This may be an obvious question, but have you installed fresh batteries in the remote? Sometimes, especially with these 54-series remotes, weak batteries will still allow you to control the Hopper just fine, but the TV functions will stop working until you change the batteries. In some of these cases, the remote battery strength indicator on the Diagnostics screen is unreliable. So, you could still see this issue, even if that bar still shows as green, with "good" battery strength.

When the remote is not working to control the TV, does the "TV" light at the top of the remote light up at all when you press the Power button? If it does light up, is it only a faint brief flicker, or does it light up fully? This may be an obvious question, but have you installed fresh batteries in the remote? Sometimes, especially with these 54-series remotes, weak batteries will still allow you to control the Hopper just fine, but the TV functions will stop working until you change the batteries. In some of these cases, the remote battery strength indicator on the Diagnostics screen is unreliable. So, you could still see this issue, even if that bar still shows as green, with "good" battery strength.
Yeah, I thought about batteries, but discounted that as a problem because the on-screen indicator said OK, and re-programming the TV code in the remote fixed it. However, this morning the TV wouldn't turn on with the remote, AND I didn't see the "TV" light even flash momentarily. So I took the two Duracell 'OEM' batteries out and tested them: 1.45V. Then I grabbed two new Costco alkalines, which measure 1.59V and put them in the remote. Now, not only does the TV go on and off just fine, but both 'SAT' and 'TV' remain lighted as long as the power button is held down.

This just proves what Sherlock Holmes said: "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Many thanks for your simple and accurate diagnosis!

Atta boy! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts