Hopper 3 Remote is Awful

Your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or ARC store is good place to pick up a 40.0 remote if you aren't in a real hurry. I regularly see them there for $2-4, and you can return them if they don't work. I have two 40.0 remotes that I picked up at my local Goodwill.

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks n0qcu. I have kept most of the old remotes thru the years. I still have 5.3, 6.3, 6.4, 20.0, 21.0, and 32.0 old remotes. I never had a 932 DVR, but DISH sent me the 32.0s one time by mistake when I had ordered 40.0 remotes. I used the 32.0s for a while when I had HWSs. DISH told me to just keep them. Haven't been with DISH that long to have remotes prior to 2007, but I do remember an odd ball number remote when I had a 925 DVR for a shot while. The installer took it

Seeing your list of remotes you've saved over the years, I thought you might like this. I found this one the other day while cleaning out one of my office storerooms. A NOS Limited Edition Collectable remote. ;)

Limited Edition Remote.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
First thing I did when I got my hopper 3 was order a bunch of 40 remotes on ebay.

By the way, all of those older than 40 remotes will work with a hopper 3 - in the same room, with IR enabled on the hopper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
First thing I did when I got my hopper 3 was order a bunch of 40 remotes on ebay.

By the way, all of those older than 40 remotes will work with a hopper 3 - in the same room, with IR enabled on the hopper.
Yep, I use four 21.0s with one of my Hopper 3s.

I saw some posts on here but not a solid support group for users dealing with the transition from their old Hopper w/ Sling remotes to the new short Hopper 3 (52?) remote... less buttons and non-intuitive placement.

So I'm griping here. I'm hoping someone will direct me to the best place to cry and/or give me tips on dealing with the transition.

After years of users asking for a backlight on a remote, they moved all the buttons around and made them smooth and indistinguishable. Good look finding anything in a dark room.
The side source buttons are ridiculous. Completely non-intuitive, at least they put a front light for those. Odd as it is.

Is there a way to make one power button TURN OFF all devices? I have the Hopper3, the TV and my Audio Receiver. If I want to turn all three off, I have to search for a side button.

I also really miss the STOP button. :(

I haven't returned my old Hopper2s yet. Is there any reason I shouldn't keep the old remote to use with my new Hopper3? As you probably know, the Joey 4Ks I got last month still came with the old style remote, which we like.

Thanks.
I still prefer the old 40.0 but the newest (I think it's a 54.0) Voice Remote is backlit and has 2 programmable buttons as well - selling for $20 from Dish.

Reactions: pattykay
I still prefer the old 40.0 but the newest (I think it's a 54.0) Voice Remote is backlit and has 2 programmable buttons as well - selling for $20 from Dish.
The 54 is pretty nice. I've been using 1 for a few days now. Got it programmed for On Demand and Open Apps. Still keep hitting the wrong button when i want back, though lol

The 54 is pretty nice. I've been using 1 for a few days now. Got it programmed for On Demand and Open Apps. Still keep hitting the wrong button when i want back, though lol
It's so nice to have a quick enable/disable key for "CC" again as I tend to use that feature quite a bit - the programmable buttons and backlight (I'm a TV night owl) make this new remote much more usable IMHO :) Now I just need to bite the bullet and figure out how to use the voice option (altho that's more for the day time - unless I want to watch in another room)

It's so nice to have a quick enable/disable key for "CC" again as I tend to use that feature quite a bit - the programmable buttons and backlight (I'm a TV night owl) make this new remote much more usable IMHO :) Now I just need to bite the bullet and figure out how to use the voice option (altho that's more for the day time - unless I want to watch in another room)
You have to have your Hopper connected to your internet, hold the voice button down and say, for example, go to espn, or turn to channel 140 or search for Tom Hanks movies, etc. Pretty easy

You have to have your Hopper connected to your internet, hold the voice button down and say, for example, go to espn, or turn to channel 140 or search for Tom Hanks movies, etc. Pretty easy
You can actually simply say ESPN, or channel 140, or Tom Hanks and it will do the same thing without words like go to or turn to or search for...

Reactions: HipKat
I usually only use mine for “cc on”. My 5 year old on the other hand uses it to find his cartoons if I’m sleeping or busy.

Thanks for that - I'm just now getting around to trying the voice feature of this particular remote. It sounds like it may have some possibilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay and HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts