Hopper 3 Shutting Off

vttvwatcher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
in a house
On my old 722, I had the "Inactivity" option on the receiver set to 4-hours -- so, when I turned the TV off, the receiver would stay on -- therefore, if I came back and turned the TV back on a half-hour later the receiver was still on and I could rewind the channel it was on.

With the Hopper 3, I also have the "Inactivity" option set to four hours -- however, the receiver shuts itself off shortly after I turn the TV off. It does this regardless of whether I use my 52.0 remote, or turn the TV off manually with the button on the TV.

Not very convenient when, for example, you're watching a show -- you turn the TV off because someone comes to the door, and then when they leave you turn the TV back on and can't rewind the show you were watching because the receiver turned off with the TV.

It's also frustrating when I set an AutoTune timer: I set the timer for Channel 6 at 9am ... I turn the TV on at 9:05 and Channel 6 is the first channel that comes on the screen after pressing the select" button, but I can't rewind the show because the receiver had just turned on.

Any suggestions?

On my old 722, I had the "Inactivity" option on the receiver set to 4-hours -- so, when I turned the TV off, the receiver would stay on -- therefore, if I came back and turned the TV back on a half-hour later the receiver was still on and I could rewind the channel it was on.

With the Hopper 3, I also have the "Inactivity" option set to four hours -- however, the receiver shuts itself off shortly after I turn the TV off. It does this regardless of whether I use my 52.0 remote, or turn the TV off manually with the button on the TV.

Not very convenient when, for example, you're watching a show -- you turn the TV off because someone comes to the door, and then when they leave you turn the TV back on and can't rewind the show you were watching because the receiver turned off with the TV.

It's also frustrating when I set an AutoTune timer: I set the timer for Channel 6 at 9am ... I turn the TV on at 9:05 and Channel 6 is the first channel that comes on the screen after pressing the select" button, but I can't rewind the show because the receiver had just turned on.

Any suggestions?
Turn off hdmi cec. Currently it is most likely on so when you turn off your tv it tells your hopper it is off and when the auto tune fires it can tell the tv is not on. It is either under tv or power in the settings on the hopper

I wonder if HDMI-CEC is turning the Hopper3 off when it senses that the tv is shut off.

You can shut off HDMI-CEC under Remote Control Settings under Advanced. That will prevent the interaction between the Hopper3 and the TV power.

I recently got the Wally for my parents and they complain that this happens on their tv. When my mom turns off the tv in the living room and the sat receiver they will go into their bedroom to watch the same sat receiver that is mirrored in SD by an av transmitter. When they turn on the tv in the bedroom and the sat receiver it will turn the tv in the living room back on. So I turned off the HDMI-CEC setting on their Wally. This single issue has been driving them crazy for the last two weeks.

They previously had a 722k receiver and my Mom said she misses the tv 2 output that could watch a different show , even though they are always in the same room watching the same thing, but their ota CBS channel that had always given them problems on the 722k dropping out and causing a yellow screen to pop up and then sat sign to say lost signal has stopped. The dual ota tuner is more stable and works better to keep a lock on that channel. So I told them: Look you traded a $7.00 dvr fee for NO dvr fee and a tv 2 output for a stable ota, channel that my dad insists on watching for news. This one issue has been their main complaint the entire 7 - 8 years that they had the 722k. So I said weigh the good things you now have with the bad things you hated about the 722k. But older people in their 70s seem to not like changes even if their is a resolution to some of their previous complaints. They will adjust.

I wonder if HDMI-CEC is turning the Hopper3 off when it senses that the tv is shut off.

You can shut off HDMI-CEC under Remote Control Settings under Advanced. That will prevent the interaction between the Hopper3 and the TV power.

Yes -- it appears turning the HDMI-cec off has done the trick -- thank you both!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)