Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

There's no way Dish is sending out HDR meta data.
It is.

I am no novice and took ISF training before I ran my own Home Theater company from 1999 to 2010. (which is how I became a Dish dealer in 2000. I hated putting in $7000 TV's and running a crappy Motorola cable box through it)

I am NOT saying the Hopper is converting programming to HDR standards, but is, without a doubt, tripping the LG's HDR tag.

I attribute the X-Files picture quality improvement to the newer Broadcom chip, not any HDR finagling.

Should be some pretty good arguments in the days to come. :biggrin

Reactions: Tron2012
It is.

I am no novice and took ISF training before I ran my own Home Theater company from 1999 to 2010. (which is how I became a Dish dealer in 2000. I hated putting in $7000 TV's and running a crappy Motorola cable box through it)

I am NOT saying the Hopper is converting programming to HDR standards, but is, without a doubt, tripping the LG's HDR tag.

I attribute the X-Files picture quality improvement to the newer Broadcom chip, not any HDR finagling.

Should be some pretty good arguments in the days to come. :biggrin

After I sent that I thought... it COULD/MUST be dish doing it... but incorrectly for sure... maybe they are adding empty meta data for future implementations incorrectly? It's weird they'd do it with Fox, which should just be an uplink of the local affiliate. And only HEVC should have this meta data I thought? Sounds like a software bug in the H3.

I hear you on those Moto boxes. That's what switched me to Dish. I had a rental with a 211 installed. I moved and just couldn't go back to TWC's 30GB HDDs and windows XP looking SD menus. Then the 922 came out and I fell in love.
I'm gonna get one of these H3's in the next week, even though I'm thinking of switching to Direct for the PQ improvements. Waiting for their new reverse band stuff to fully release though.

Yes. But I don't like that it greys out the Contrast and OLED Backlight. I can understand why they do that for most people, but I think they should allow those adjustments in the isf expert mode. We wouldn't be there if we didn't know what we are doing. :biggrin

My thinking is that is an easy software fix for either the TV or the Hopper.

Could be but this looks to be more of a function of the LG TV, not anything Dish is doing to affect the TV's settings beyond sending HDR data to the TV. I don't see Dish ever playing around with trying to enable or suppress specific TV functions, if even possible at all. Saw online that there were others with the same situation as you, where HDR content turned off those two settings. Might not be your TV but still LG TVs and their way of handling the HDR content.
https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-65ef950v-ef950-ef9500-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tv-review.12014
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-ef9500/

Either way, I see your frustration.

Last edited:
Are you sitting at proper 4k viewing distance to the TV? (You're way too close for Dish if so).

Uncompressed DVD 720x480 won't look too far off from super-compressed Dish 1440x1080 especially with dish's variable bitrate that is crammed in per transponder... Ever more so if you are watching a 720 channel.

VOD should look great and very near Blu-Ray quality when watching a 1080p stream. I VOD Star Wars Rebels from Disney XD an it looks very good. (I think it may even be 720p, but the VOD master could be 1080p? Which is what their Blu-Rays list for video. But they could just be mastering in 720p and up-scaling for blu-ray release.)

Pause what you are seeing and take a picture for us. Attach it here, we should be able to replicate especially if you choose a popular show/network :)
Haha, yes I will try to get a couple images this evening and post them. As far as I know unless it is pay per view though it is maxed at 1080i not 1080p. Obviously will not be able to tell much of a difference, but lets put it this way my girlfriend could care less about audio and video and 99.9 percent of the time has no clue I made pic calibration changes though I will see a significant difference. Well needless to say she even agreed right away it looks bad where normally she will get annoyed and ignore me...

It is not channel specific, it is the Hopper box itself that is sending the tag.

Doesn't matter if its the Guide, Home Menu or whatnot....whenever the LG sees the Hopper, the HDR kicks on.

Trust me- there is NO HDR Metadata coming out of the H3 with normal programming that would switch your TV. Now if the H3 down the road is technically capable of passing 4K HDR content then that may present you with a problem that you have a defective H3. HDR at this point is only on a limited amount of 4K programs such as streaming from Amazon (Red Oaks, Mozart in the Jungle, etc.), there are 4K clips available on Youtube also and maybe a couple other places..
Gerry

I do not have a 4k set, but I think in a technical standpoint I believe the Hdmi cable has to be version 2.0 + to match the 4k port

No such thing. The testing requirement for 4k certification has been adopted, but they are still working out how to test for compliance. Right now HDMI cable are tested for 10.25 Gbps for 1080p. The certification will require 18 Gbps. But there aren't any, to knowledge, as of yet on the market. Best Buy a couple of weeks ago tried to pull that one on my parents. The cables were "4k ready".

The other part of this is, I don't believe and correct me if I'm wrong, the Hopper3 and Joeys will not be supporting 10 or 12 bit color. Which means, the current status quo cables of today, will be just fine.

No such thing. The testing requirement for 4k certification has been adopted, but they are still working out how to test for compliance. Right now HDMI cable are tested for 10.25 Gbps for 1080p. The certification will require 18 Gbps. But there aren't any, to knowledge, as of yet on the market. Best Buy a couple of weeks ago tried to pull that one on my parents. The cables were "4k ready".

The other part of this is, I don't believe and correct me if I'm wrong, the Hopper3 and Joeys will not be supporting 10 or 12 bit color. Which means, the current status quo cables of today, will be just fine.
Well the cables out now can support 4k resolution, but no more than 24 Hz where as the 2.0 cable will support 60 Hz @ 4k with 32 audio channels and additional color space I think. The specs are out to manufacturers, but I am not sure about the cables now that I did further research

Trust me- there is NO HDR Metadata coming out of the H3 with normal programming that would switch your TV
I don't know how many times I have to tell you. As soon as the TV sees the Hopper 3, the "HDR Is Now On" banner pops up and as soon as I shut off the Hopper or go to my Amazon Fire TV or go to my Chromecast or go to the PS-4, the "HDR Is Now Off" banner is shown.

If you're near Braselton, Georgia, come on over to my house. :biggrin

I don't know how many times I have to tell you. As soon as the TV sees the Hopper 3, the "HDR Is Now On" banner pops up and as soon as I shut off the Hopper or go to my Amazon Fire TV or go to my Chromecast or go to the PS-4, the "HDR Is Now Off" banner is shown.

If you're near Braselton, Georgia, come on over to my house. :biggrin
Just take some pictures if no one believes you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Testing, 1,2,3......
Hopper 3 guide.jpg Hopper 3 guide.jpg Hopper 3 HBO.jpg HDR Off LG.jpg

Now that I think of it. I believe that has been weirdly triggered on my TV once or twice. I don't remember with what though.

Amazon content the HDR is noticeable. Do the whites on the menus look ridiculously bright? That is the other thing I noticed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts