Hopper 3 two lan ports?

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
The installer wasn't sure what the second LAN port is for on the back of the Hopper 3. Many years ago, might have been DTV I was using at the time, the 2nd port was a 'pass through' to connect another network device. Is this the case for the second port on the Hopper 3? Does it matter when port is used?

The installer wasn't sure what the second LAN port is for on the back of the Hopper 3. Many years ago, might have been DTV I was using at the time, the 2nd port was a 'pass through' to connect another network device. Is this the case for the second port on the Hopper 3? Does it matter when port is used?
My Hopper 3 top Lan port connects to the Joey WAP. Lower port connects to my router. I don't think it makes any difference which Lan port is used, but not real sure.

Can an unused port be used to provide wired internet to my tv?
No. There is no passthrough. Both LAN ports act as Ethernet inputs, the bottom port is also designed for incoming Signal over IP connections. Meaning that type of connection, which is only used in specific applications will not work in the top port.
I typically use the bottom port for Internet via Ethernet connections an the top port for Wireless Joey WAP Connections

Oddly enough I plugged in my now "old" Tivo Roamio into the 2nd LAN port and I have internet on it. I double checked, the wireless is off so I'm getting internet to the Roamio on the 2nd LAN port. I'll take it. :)