Hopper 3 U313 fixed OTAs in channel lists

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I pulled my ota module and rescanned this morning. Haven't had any dropouts yet watching the Indy 500. Interesting....

Tried to watch OTA recordings made before 313 and each fast forwarded to the end with plain black screen and a small upper right box showing a live channel. Mysterious.

Hopper 3 U313 fixed OTAs in channel lists.
Added OTAs to custom list
And they stuck.

WooHoo

I thought something looked different in the guide today. Good.
Let me ask another question... I JUST had the Dish repair tech out today to solve a problem I've been having ever since I got the Hopper 3.
Playback on some recordings is jumpy and pixelized every couple seconds. Audio drops out too.
Between the two of us, we figured out the root of the problem... somehow most of my timers were set to record from OTA instead of the Dish channels.
1) I did not think I had selected OTA, and couldn't figure out how that happened. But that was definitely the common theme on all the bad recordings.
2) Why are timers using OTA?? I figured that out too. There is a BUG in the Dish search tool. For shows where there is a duplicate (for instance, Big Bang Theory is available on Dish channel or OTA channel) only the OTA result shows up in the search results!!! No wonder my timers are all set to OTA. Grrr!!
3) Is it just me? or do other people have poor playback of shows recorded with OTA? Live OTA viewing is perfect.
4) for anyone who has experienced the bad playback of OTA recordings - Have you tried a new OTA module? Did it help?

3) Is it just me? or do other people have poor playback of shows recorded with OTA? Live OTA viewing is perfect.

You are not alone. This bug is in the H3 software and is widely known and reviled by all of us using OTA on our H3. Like you found, Live OTA usually works fine (for most of us), but recordings are almost always junk. Dish is aware of the issue, but it is unknown when we might see a resolution. This new release supposedly had a fix included in it, but it didn't actually fix the recording problem.

OH...and Welcome to SatGuys! :D
:welcome

Reactions: D. Manley
I thought something looked different in the guide today. Good.
Let me ask another question... I JUST had the Dish repair tech out today to solve a problem I've been having ever since I got the Hopper 3.
Playback on some recordings is jumpy and pixelized every couple seconds. Audio drops out too.
Between the two of us, we figured out the root of the problem... somehow most of my timers were set to record from OTA instead of the Dish channels.
1) I did not think I had selected OTA, and couldn't figure out how that happened. But that was definitely the common theme on all the bad recordings.
2) Why are timers using OTA?? I figured that out too. There is a BUG in the Dish search tool. For shows where there is a duplicate (for instance, Big Bang Theory is available on Dish channel or OTA channel) only the OTA result shows up in the search results!!! No wonder my timers are all set to OTA. Grrr!!
4) for anyone who has experienced the bad playback of OTA recordings - Have you tried a new OTA module? Did it help?

Did you happen to set he timers from the dishanywhere.com web site. I have found that if I set timers from that it shows only the OTA channel when both are available.

Reactions: Bobby
Still can't delete unwanted OTA channels.
Still can't just manually add a weak channel and have to run a new scan each time, which erases the previous list completely and overwrites it.
Why on earth can a new scan not just leave what was there before like on the ViP receivers and just add others? The whole OTA concept sucks on the H3.

The biggest reason I use Dish is for the OTA included in the guide and an extra tuner. This is terrible. Wish I never upgraded to the Hopper 3.

Hey, the hopper 2 had the same issues with the ota not working at first back in 2014. I used an older 211k with an external hard drive to make it a dvr , just to record ota shows while I waited for the ota to get fixed. But it will get fixed ,eventually. I need to get another external hard drive to turn my old 211k back into a dvr for this summer , while I wait for the hopper 3 ota issues to get fixed. My wife has certain shows only ota will fill. Luckily I can just change the a/v receiver with a simple push of the button to see the 211k on another input and she will be set.

Hey, the hopper 2 had the same issues with the ota not working at first back in 2014. I used an older 211k with an external hard drive to make it a dvr , just to record ota shows while I waited for the ota to get fixed. But it will get fixed ,eventually. I need to get another external hard drive to turn my old 211k back into a dvr for this summer , while I wait for the hopper 3 ota issues to get fixed. My wife has certain shows only ota will fill. Luckily I can just change the a/v receiver with a simple push of the button to see the 211k on another input and she will be set.
You will need a second dish and lnb to that 211 for it to work with an H3 system. You can't mix VIP receivers with H3....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)