Hopper 3 U500 Update now I can't get any OTA channels!

MitchDeerfield

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Florida
This is progress? Until today's Hopper 3 software update to U500 , I got all of my OTA channels perfectly. Now my Hopper will let me watch ota channels one time and then it won't show them at all. I have to reboot the Hopper and it takes about 15 minutes to reboot. Then I can watch one program, as soon as I switch to a satellite channel, I can no longer watch OTA, unless I do another reboot.

Doesn't anyone at Dish test these software updates before making all of us be inconvenienced while they figure out what they did wrong?

This is progress? Until today's Hopper 3 software update to U500 , I got all of my OTA channels perfectly. Now my Hopper will let me watch ota channels one time and then it won't show them at all. I have to reboot the Hopper and it takes about 15 minutes to reboot. Then I can watch one program, as soon as I switch to a satellite channel, I can no longer watch OTA, unless I do another reboot.

Doesn't anyone at Dish test these software updates before making all of us be inconvenienced while they figure out what they did wrong?
When I got the "U" update on my Hopper with Sling, my loss was the size of the files both in-disk and on the external drives. BTW I loss 3 HD to the in-use on another device message with 17 total drives--this is a chunk of the alphabet as most are stored that way. I appreciated the improved Menu>Settings>TV Settings>Adjust Screen and a number of others listed below.
I must say the OTA list is hard to find. I know I had it but it escapes me this minute.

Major rewrite.

Picture much sharper. It now is like the Internet sharpness.

Recordings > Hopper with Sling
+ Identifier: Den or whatever on that page.
+ Sort type sticks vs. reverting.
+ Sources moved to position 3 vs extra menu.
+ Fullness percentage shown.
+ New flag on each recording.
- Less icons per page 2.5 rows vs. unknown (can't go back).
+ Short description shown. Longer in selected tile.

Schedule
+ Control: Scheduled, Conflicts, Skipped

Timers
+ Full info.
+ Position sticks.
? Show if any timers scheduled to skip look.
? Change DVR to Seek and vv.
+ Icons for shows available
+ Timer list in click > Timer schedule.
- All say Hopper and none set from Joey. Used to, maybe?
- First aired shown as 1/1/03 for rerun.

Guide
- Turn off the Notification Banner line for a ninth program line, please.
- Loss of 3 hour guide to 2.5. Channel icons do not help this.
- No size listing, cannot judge which is smaller of copies.
Important to archivists.

Missing
- Year of recording, if not current year. Important.

Nice
+ Screen Adjust interaction.
+ Closed Captioning menu.
+ Pause shows time in minutes and seconds.

Need
Way to search any block e.g. HBO, without scanning all.
Change recording channel to other or all or any block.
A menu go-back or retrace. Cancel move is excessive sometimes.

Sorry, if this more than you wanted to know. -Ken

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am not having problems with OTA's either, got both tuners both watch and record fine. Except the usual not having some OTA guide info.:oldmad

Same here no problems and I was pleasantly surprised when I turned it on this morning and I usually have to watch my ABC station on the Satellite delivered locals because Metv ota channel is recording a couple of old shows around that time, and I could tune into my ota ABC station and it didn't tell me there was a conflict. But then I confirmed it here that the software had downloaded ,checked my software version and jumped for joy and then tested it out and it WORKS with no problems. In fact the software seems to have corrected a frequent flaw in my signal on Metv where the picture will randomly go black and then return. I haven't seen it happen today on any of the shows I recorded. Hopefully it is fixed. :bigok

Thanks all for checking. The problem with my OTA module is that the Green LED power light goes on for a short period of time and then goes off and pretty much stays off. If I reset the Hopper, the Green LED power light will again go on for a while, but then stays off. Shouldn't it be green at all times, or is it supposed to turn off and on?

Thanks all for checking. The problem with my OTA module is that the Green LED power light goes on for a short period of time and then goes off and pretty much stays off. If I reset the Hopper, the Green LED power light will again go on for a while, but then stays off. Shouldn't it be green at all times, or is it supposed to turn off and on?
It should stay lit at all times. Maybe you could try to plug it in to a different USB port.

I have been having problems with the new software update. OTA dual tuner won't lock on to 5 local channels anymore. I had them rock solid before the update. Waiting for a fix. Did the reboot, unplug and rescan twice. Deleted channels and reinstalled on a different USB connection. Not working. Won't even find the CBS local. Anyone else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts