Hopper 3 upgrade

Siggy131

Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
PA
I did a chat today, probably my first mistake, to upgrade from a Hopper Duo to a Hopper 3. I bought a 4K OLED tv about 3 months ago then bought a 4K Roku. Explained to the rep I wanted to upgrade my receiver to see if I could be less dependent on my roku. I was told it would be a $150 upgrade fee plus a credit card hold. I told her I was already a Dish customer and was upgrading, I asked if I was buying or leasing the receiver. She told me I would be leasing the receiver. She also told me I was costing dish $$ by upgrading and the $150 was about half of what it was costing dish to accommodate my upgrade. I asked the rep, through chat, why would I not just save a bunch of $$ by cancelling dish and getting YouTube TV through my Roku? She told me if I had an issue with an upgrade fee of $150 I should call dish on the phone there was nothing she could do. I am baffled.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It’s like they don’t care if they’re bleeding customers. Makes me wonder what I’m going to go through come 4/2020 when our 2-yr contract runs out. What’ll make it harder is I really love the Hopper3/Joey3 combo. 16 tuners and the UI interface makes all the difference to me. Had DT for 12 years prior. Won’t go back there.

I’ve been a customer for years. Would like to get the latest technology.

She told me if I had an issue with an upgrade fee of $150 I should call dish on the phone there was nothing she could do. I am baffled.

I suspect the chat representative has no way of passing you over to retentions. So the recommendation to call was to get you to a CSR who could transfer you. They will give you the best deal possible. I hope.

It’s like they don’t care if they’re bleeding customers. Makes me wonder what I’m going to go through come 4/2020 when our 2-yr contract runs out. What’ll make it harder is I really love the Hopper3/Joey3 combo. 16 tuners and the UI interface makes all the difference to me. Had DT for 12 years prior. Won’t go back there.
Just call Loyalty. They dropped my bill $38.00 when it went up. I had to sign a new 2yr, but I'm not going anywhere

I did a chat today, probably my first mistake, to upgrade from a Hopper Duo to a Hopper 3. I bought a 4K OLED tv about 3 months ago then bought a 4K Roku. Explained to the rep I wanted to upgrade my receiver to see if I could be less dependent on my roku. I was told it would be a $150 upgrade fee plus a credit card hold. I told her I was already a Dish customer and was upgrading, I asked if I was buying or leasing the receiver. She told me I would be leasing the receiver. She also told me I was costing dish $$ by upgrading and the $150 was about half of what it was costing dish to accommodate my upgrade. I asked the rep, through chat, why would I not just save a bunch of $$ by cancelling dish and getting YouTube TV through my Roku? She told me if I had an issue with an upgrade fee of $150 I should call dish on the phone there was nothing she could do. I am baffled.
My upgrade from Hopper to Hopper 3 was free. I am not sure, why some Dish Customers can get the upgrades free, and why some are charged for wanting to upgrade. Yesterday, I did Facebook Chat, and wanted Dish to know, that I am interested in possibly upgrading from a Joey to a 4K Joey. To me, the CSR did not want to help me. There was no follow up. Maybe, you should go to Dish.com to see if you can get another answer, where it could be a free upgrade. I will probably do the same with my equipment upgrade. Good Luck

My upgrade from Hopper to Hopper 3 was free. I am not sure, why some Dish Customers can get the upgrades free, and why some are charged for wanting to upgrade. Yesterday, I did Facebook Chat, and wanted Dish to know, that I am interested in possibly upgrading from a Joey to a 4K Joey. To me, the CSR did not want to help me. There was no follow up. Maybe, you should go to Dish.com to see if you can get another answer, where it could be a free upgrade. I will probably do the same with my equipment upgrade. Good Luck
There are variables, I assume, like if you're currently in contract. Payment history, which receiver you have currently, length of time as a customer, et al

Reactions: joewhite57
There are variables, I assume, like if you're currently in contract. Payment history, which receiver you have currently, length of time as a customer, et al

I’d include channel package you have. We had switched to flex before upgrading and paid $150 to go from 722 to H3. Well worth it IMHO.

Reactions: HipKat
It’s based on overall profitability of the customer on a per account basis. Let’s just call it equity. A lot of people think because of what they pay, they are profitable. It is not. Being a long time customer also does not mean you are profitable. Hope that helps.

I also called Dish Loyalty/Retention phone number--I received all brand new equipment, pay about $30 less than I did before I called, and received free MultiSport package for a year for NFL RedZone … I had to agree to a 2-year contract, but I too am not going anywhere ...

I also called Dish Loyalty/Retention phone number--I received all brand new equipment, pay about $30 less than I did before I called, and received free MultiSport package for a year for NFL RedZone … I had to agree to a 2-year contract, but I too am not going anywhere ...

So, how do you get to Dish Loyalty etc. What number did you call or who did you ask for?

Reactions: les.warden

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts