HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

They don't have a number. They are an internet based team. Stands for Dish Internet Response Team. They are the same agents that run the Facebook page, Twitter, and the main Dish Forum amongst other tasks.

I see, thanks for the info. This place is awesome btw, I've been looking on here for the last 4 years, but just now became a member. I would love to help out anyway I can(7 year dishtech 4 , shs, dishnet, dishcoach) and also learn all the updates that we don't get very fast from our office. I love it when new stuff comes out and trying to figure out all the bugs and trick!!! excited for the months to come. hopefully I can get my hopper3 soon so I can start the fiddlin

Reactions: TheKrell
It has been posted, by Scott, that the Joey 1 does indeed work with the Hopper 3 but it is slow.

My statement was in regards to how dish will build a work order for a new customer account for a hopper 3. I guess my comment shouldn't have been made in comparison to your quote as a existing customer...just a new customer. The official dish documents state Joey 1.0 isn't compatible. This could be because it will be slow and not provide the best experience to the customer. Could it still work? Sure, but that doesn't mean dish will support the use of a Joey 1.0 as a standard. There are lots of things that "work" in a dish system like 3 hoppers on one dish antenna but dish doesn't provide technicians with an "official" wiring diagram to do such an installation. Are there diagrams out there? Yes, but you won't find one on dish networks official installation portal. They will prob need to remove the Joey from the account activate the the hopper 3 and reactivate the joey after the work order is closed. Hopefully the agent will allow this and not be difficult. Best case like I was saying maybe they will do the clean swap...your 1.0 for a new 2.0.

The official dish documents state Joey 1.0 isn't compatible. This could be because it will be slow and not provide the best experience to the customer.
It's for "user experience" reasons, is the impression given before. They don't want customers with a blazing fast Hopper 3 also using a dog-slow Joey 1. It just gives a bad impression.

To make sure it happens, Dish is setting up their systems to take out any chance of anyone allowing it to happen. A (new) technician gets a work order that can't include a Hopper 3 and Joey 1. That can cover new installs or upgrades.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: NLOS
I just checked and my system is currently 1 Hopper with sling and 2 Joey 1.0's , does this mean that when i upgrade the Hopper with sling to a hopper 3 I will ALSO have to upgrade the two joey 1's (as these TV's will remain 1080P ones for now) and will this be included in the upgrade, or will i pay more for it???

I just checked and my system is currently 1 Hopper with sling and 2 Joey 1.0's , does this mean that when i upgrade the Hopper with sling to a hopper 3 I will ALSO have to upgrade the two joey 1's (as these TV's will remain 1080P ones for now) and will this be included in the upgrade, or will i pay more for it???
If they swap them out the Joeys will cost what joeys regularly cost. :)

I have an owned Joey "1" on an SDTV in our exercise room.

OK, we haven't exercised in a while. But I tested it today, batteries died while I was working it, and had a bit of difficulty getting the remote to work after installing new batteries.

But I don't find it too slow. Good enough for my purposes.

PS- 80+ hours to go on my transferring to EHD. And that's less than half the stuff on the DVR.

Reactions: Foxbat
I see, thanks for the info. This place is awesome btw, I've been looking on here for the last 4 years, but just now became a member. I would love to help out anyway I can(7 year dishtech 4 , shs, dishnet, dishcoach) and also learn all the updates that we don't get very fast from our office. I love it when new stuff comes out and trying to figure out all the bugs and trick!!! excited for the months to come. hopefully I can get my hopper3 soon so I can start the fiddlin

Xinstaller here.... you should go to the installer zone. I can't believe you are still there after all this time, you must be inhouse and treated much better than the RSP's treat their techs.

Hey, I'm new here and I know my questions will probably sound repetitive, but I'll ask just in case.

So, once we are able to schedule upgrades, we can actually sign up to upgrade here? How does that work?

2nd question, for transferring recordings from our old hopper, will the tech be staying around for that, come back later, or will we have to mail it in? If the latter, will postage be prepaid by dish or will we have to pay? Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to keep my recordings.

Thanks for the help!

DustNavy, I don't know if my situation will be comparable to yours, but here it is.....

I have a HWS that is crammed over 90% with recorded movies, series episodes, SiriusXM music, etc. My HWS was subsequently found to have a bad hard drive and Dish is giving me a new one. I will be trying to request a Hopper 3 and see what they say.

In the meantime, I had to spend $99 for a WD MyBook 2 TB external hard drive. I got it on Friday and I already have my Hopper down from that 90 to 23% as I've been transferring like crazy all weekend. I should have it all done in the next couple days. When the Hopper is empty, I'll notify Dish and they said they will be shipping a new Hopper to me. They will probably also send me a pre-paid shipping box with which to send the old Hopper back to them.

Of course, I'm going to ask about the Hopper 3, although it looks like this will also require a new dish and connecting module (I'm not being very technical here), so I don't know if they will agree. Seems like having a defective original machine -- plus paying over $99 to save my recordings -- should offer enough of an argument for me to ask for a Hopper 3 installation at no charge. They'll probably say no, but it never hurts to ask. LOL

Good luck with your situation.

2nd question, for transferring recordings from our old hopper, will the tech be staying around for that, come back later, or will we have to mail it in? If the latter, will postage be prepaid by dish or will we have to pay? Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to keep my recordings.

Dish can provide a 1TB external for $99. In the event this is purchased or a customer has their own external and would like to transfer recordings there is documentation given to the customer with return instructions as well as a return address label. Every tech is supposed to have this in the paperwork tote. That is the current process. I would imagine it should be the same or similar with the hopper 3.

I'll notify Dish and they said they will be shipping a new Hopper to me. They will probably also send me a pre-paid shipping box with which to send the old Hopper back to them.

Of course, I'm going to ask about the Hopper 3, although it looks like this will also require a new dish and connecting module (I'm not being very technical here), so I don't know if they will agree. Seems like having a defective original machine -- plus paying over $99 to save my recordings -- should offer enough of an argument for me to ask for a Hopper 3 installation at no charge. They'll probably say no, but it never hurts to ask. LOL

If dish mails you a hopper replacement you will use the same box to return the old hopper. The reverse side of the mailing label will have a new return address sticker to place on the box that will be shipped back. Insert old receiver tape up the box and go.

As for the upgrade the rumor is it's a free upgrade because dish really wants to get this spread out. I can't confirm nor deny that though as I haven't heard an official statement. I don't believe it was this way with the original hopper day 1 but we will soon find out.

Either way a tech visit will be needed to change your lnbf...remove your node...install a hub...so on and so on.

Hey, I'm new here and I know my questions will probably sound repetitive, but I'll ask just in case.

So, once we are able to schedule upgrades, we can actually sign up to upgrade here? How does that work?

Thanks for the help!

1. Scott will create a sticky post for upgrades (much like this one) and you can post to it. DiRT will PM you for your Account number (don't post it public) and your PIN, and you will be on your way.

2. Scott has stated that the tech will leave your old Hopper and a box, you can transfer your files then ship it back. In the past this has been prepaid.

Last edited:
As in, you can put an Ethernet cable between the two and move your programs directly from one to the other. But it would be faster to dump to an EHD. 2TB going for around $90.

As in, you can put an Ethernet cable between the two and move your programs directly from one to the other. But it would be faster to dump to an EHD. 2TB going for around $90.
As has been mentioned in various other threads, the External USB HD is the way to go for transferring programs from your old Hopper to a new Hopper 3:
  1. Vivek indicated that the Hopper-to-Hopper 3 Ethernet transfer is a beta feature so it may not be available at launch.
  2. Hoppers prior to the newly announced Hopper 3 have 100 Mb/s Ethernet (the H3 is Gigabit Ethernet). USB 2.0 is up to 480 Mb/s, so the maximum transfer rate over USB is almost 5 times that of the built-in Ethernet.
  3. You can start offloading your Hopper now instead of waiting for the Hopper 3 to arrive. This takes some time, so doing so now gives you something useful to do while you're waiting for the Upgrade to become available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)