HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I'm looking forward to details on this Hopper to Hopper direct transfer of recordings.

Transfer over home network? Direct wire and no home network needed?

How can they do this with a not yet installed H3? Install the H3 and have the old Hopper remain semi-functional for a day or so? Tech gonna leave without the old Hopper? Coming back for it? We mail it in?

It would take some faith. I'd be more comfortable moving it all to EHD before the swap.

You take an Ethernet cable hook it to your old hopper plug it in your new hopper and set it to go.

I can see this enticing a lot of ViP users to update, making Dish's job of completing a WA migration to MPEG-4 all the easier.
ViP equipment is already MPEG-4 capable

Now- when HEVC is brought into the sat world, will Dish be producing the H4? Or does the 3 have all but the software to handle the transition?
I think this is what Scott was referring to (also related to the lack of 4K YouTube) but no, it isn't simply a software update that can enable this. This HVEC stuff is done at the chipset level and the chipset doesn't support it.

I'm a ViP user. I have a 722 that I own and a leased 622 in the boy's room. How would my fees change if I go Hopper/Joey?
Currently you pay $7 DVR fee and $17 second receiver. If this is just two rooms you need tv in, it would be $15 DVR fee, and $7 Joey fee, effectively saving you $2/month or $24/year.

Currently you pay $7 DVR fee and $17 second receiver. If this is just two rooms you need tv in, it would be $15 DVR fee, and $7 Joey fee, effectively saving you $2/month or $24/year.
Thank you for the info. Now, they wouldn't let me install this by myself, right?
I mean I actually installed the current setup by myself, meaning that back in the day after the installer left, I moved the dish and the cabling, because I put new siding on my house and put a wing dish up to 61.5. So I am no newbie to this, and looking at the diagrams of a simple Hopper install, that is even easier than what I got now.

I imagine the install to be mostly simple, but the only way to install yourself is to purchase the equipment from an outside source.

It sounds like a lot of us will be asking ourselves - is it worth giving up the $ 12 'grandfathered' DVR rate for a $ 15 rate going forward - $ 36 / year in additional fees for the new H3?
Hey, at least you aren't going from a $7 DVR fee to a $15 WHDVR fee. THAT will be a hard sell as we're trying to reign in spending, even if the upgrade and Tech visit is free.

Reactions: osu1991
If you do your own install, remember that only port 1 on the new LNBF works with the new Hopper.

ViP equipment is already MPEG-4 capable

I think this is what Scott was referring to (also related to the lack of 4K YouTube) but no, it isn't simply a software update that can enable this. This HVEC stuff is done at the chipset level and the chipset doesn't support it.
Yes, I meant to say ViP and earlier equipment.

I doubted that the H3 could support HEVC, but thought I'd give it a chance. Too much to expect. Hopper 4, next year.

Stinks they dont have HEVC on board, Broadcom must be behind the curve like MediaTek.

Oh well, only concerned about HEVC once they implement it with channels.

I have 2 questions and I apologize if they have been addressed elsewhere:
1) Is OTA supported on the Hopper 3? Will it use the same USB Module that the previous Hopper models use?
2) What happens with the Super Joey? If someone has a Hopper/SJ setup, can they just swap out the Hopper or would the Super Joey need to be replaced as well?

1) Is OTA supported on the Hopper 3? Will it use the same USB Module that the previous Hopper models use?
2) What happens with the Super Joey? If someone has a Hopper/SJ setup, can they just swap out the Hopper or would the Super Joey need to be replaced as well?
Yes to both questions.

1) Yes. Yes.
2) You will not be able to use the Super Joey with the Hopper 3. You would replace the Hopper with a Hopper 3 and the Super Joey with a regular Joey, and you would save a few dollars.

Stinks they dont have HEVC on board, Broadcom must be behind the curve like MediaTek.

Oh well, only concerned about HEVC once they implement it with channels.

Press releases show that the Hopper 3 supports H.265 (HEVC). Youtube 4k doesn't use HEVC. Google/Youtube use VP9 codec for 4k

Technical Specs

Hopper 3 is powered by a Broadcom BCM7445 quad-core ARM application processor at 1.5 GHz, 21K DMIPS. It contains a two TB hard drive for up to 500 hours of high-definition recording (or 2,000 hours of standard definition recording). For 4K viewing, the Hopper 3 can decode and output 60 FPS and 10-bit color. It supports H.264 and H.265 and is compatible with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. It is the first DVR to support USB 3.0. Hopper 3 is compatible with HDR10/BDA 2.0 encoded streams.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/Cable/Cable-Set-Top-Box-Solutions/BCM7445

Press releases show that the Hopper 3 supports H.265 (HEVC). Youtube 4k doesn't use HEVC. Google/Youtube use VP9 codec for 4k

Technical Specs

Hopper 3 is powered by a Broadcom BCM7445 quad-core ARM application processor at 1.5 GHz, 21K DMIPS. It contains a two TB hard drive for up to 500 hours of high-definition recording (or 2,000 hours of standard definition recording). For 4K viewing, the Hopper 3 can decode and output 60 FPS and 10-bit color. It supports H.264 and H.265 and is compatible with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. It is the first DVR to support USB 3.0. Hopper 3 is compatible with HDR10/BDA 2.0 encoded streams.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/Cable/Cable-Set-Top-Box-Solutions/BCM7445

Ah, thanks. I thought we had confirmed it, but then I saw the recent posts I thought it had changed again. This thread moved pretty fast.

Nothing of concern for me then because my internet sucks...

No problem. The tech isn't going to be free because of the replacement, but that isn't saying the tech visit wouldn't be free. If you have the protection plan, the tech visit is $10, and in some cases can be waived. Without the proplan, you would be paying $95. I am guessing they are not really proactively waiving tech visits because of how stormed their techs are going to be, but also remember, Dish takes care of their best customers without hesitation. The cost part is hard to answer since each account is different.

Sounds good that it's $10 for the visit as I do have the protection plan. Am i reading the specs correctly that the hard drive is still the same capacity 2TB as the Hopper 1 I have since with 16 tuners, wouldn't they have increased the capacity or is the usable capacity increased? Am I correct that I can transfer all the recorded stuff on the Hopper 1 to a external hard drive and then being able to watch it on the Hopper 3 and can I transfer it from the external hd back to the Hopper 3? Thanks!

You are correct. You can transfer your recordings from you Hopper 1 to an EHD and then watch them on your Hopper 3. It is not necessary to actually transfer them to the Hopper 3, you can watch them directly from the EHD. But, yes, you can transfer them if you wish...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)