HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

Well wouldn't it be wise to call DIsh, put it on record you want the new hopper when released to be locked in NOW for the $12 fee vs waiting till then?
Doubtful that that would work. Their system will base the charge on when the receiver was activated, not "requested".

Logically jumping from 3 to 16 tuners should require a 5X increase in allowed timers - but who knows?
Logic isn't involved, 'memory' is. At least that is what Dish has indicated in the past... It's a software restriction that limits the maximum # of timers.

Hey, its a new box, they should have planned ahead, added more memory.

Software restrictions don't exist, just re-write the code.

Well wouldn't it be wise to call DIsh, put it on record you want the new hopper when released to be locked in NOW for the $12 fee vs waiting till then? I mean they are normally good to work with and with it on the account that you asked now would go a long way.

I'm going to upgrade one of mine but not the other, at least not right away since I prefer to have two hoppers in case of a failure of another so I can still watch something. I want that 4K for future TV upgrade soon.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. It will be based off the first available day to be stored in the system, which can almost be guaranteed to be after the increase. You can have it notated 100 times, and still won't make a difference until it's available in the Dish system. Also, you'd have to upgrade both, as Hopper3 is the only thing allowed on the account, besides Joeys. I believe I heard you can still keep your 211for RVing, but I'll let someone else confirm that. The H3 Max's the tuners on the DPH, and the system will not allow two hoppers on an H3 account.

Hey, its a new box, they should have planned ahead, added more memory.

Software restrictions don't exist, just re-write the code.
According to Scott, they started this box 2 years ago. Coming out with what they have, is pretty much thinking way ahead of the industry already. Honestly, most people probably won't need more, but to answer the complaint, there has been no factual statement on how many timers one can have. It is all speculation so far.

So let me understand correctly, what is the criteria for upgrading to a H3? Is there a charge? My parents desperately need more tuners, but don't have the cash to dole out $200-300 to upgrade. They have a HWS + Super Joey + 2 Joeys right now and are still within their initial 2 year commitment (I think they're about 12-14 months in right now)

So let me understand correctly, what is the criteria for upgrading to a H3? Is there a charge? My parents desperately need more tuners, but don't have the cash to dole out $200-300 to upgrade. They have a HWS + Super Joey + 2 Joeys right now and are still within their initial 2 year commitment (I think they're about 12-14 months in right now)
It will be a free upgrade to qualifying accounts. Won't know what exactly qualifies until reps have access to upgrades.

It sounds like a lot of us will be asking ourselves - is it worth giving up the $ 12 'grandfathered' DVR rate for a $ 15 rate going forward - $ 36 / year in additional fees for the new H3? Love the transfer option to preserve old recordings (HWS to H3) but not crazy about the DVR increase - I would gladly lock in at another 2-year contract if they could keep my equipment fees the same.

The conspiracist in me makes me wonder if they planned to make sure the fee increase was out there (mid-Jan) before the H3 was available (late-Jan).

I personally do not care if it's free, $99, $199, or $299. I'm moving to a H3, activating my owned Joey, adding a RAID unit and doing away with Dual HWS's ASAP.

Reactions: bobvick
The conspiracist in me makes me wonder if they planned to make sure the fee increase was out there (mid-Jan) before the H3 was available (late-Jan).

That's not even a debate, the new Hopper IS the reason the fees were announced the way it was. You can't possibly think a Receiver like the H3, with all the development costs, manufacturing costs, advantages, and high demand would cost the same per month as the older versions. No different than the higher fees for a Hopper than the previous VIP series.

I think they left money on the table. Let us hope it was a good move for customer loyalty. And let us hope most of hose of us that think they qualify actually DO. Or it could backfire on them.

Reactions: Tampa8
I'm looking forward to details on this Hopper to Hopper direct transfer of recordings.

Transfer over home network? Direct wire and no home network needed?

How can they do this with a not yet installed H3? Install the H3 and have the old Hopper remain semi-functional for a day or so? Tech gonna leave without the old Hopper? Coming back for it? We mail it in?

It would take some faith. I'd be more comfortable moving it all to EHD before the swap.

Reactions: TheKrell
If I can replace my two H2's ($24) with one H3 ($15) & add another Joey ($7) for the 2nd tv, isn't that going to actually be a little cheaper? Am I looking at this wrong? Of course, that's assuming I qualify to upgrade for free . . . . .

Reactions: gregleg
So it's really a no-brainer for those that qualify (new 2 yr contract is not a big deal for all the advantages). Actually makes the $5 package increase easier to accept!
The biggest disadvantage is going to be going from 4TB to 2 TB, but that can be easier handled with an External, which is nice since it may boost EHD sales as well. It is a win win for people that want to do whatever set ups. Those that want more, pay more and do not get subsidized by those not needing as much.

Reactions: dare2be
So it's really a no-brainer for those that qualify (new 2 yr contract is not a big deal for all the advantages). Actually makes the $5 package increase easier to accept!
Actually, with no UHDTV and a preference for redundancy, I suspect many of us will stick with the 2 (or more) Hoppers that we have today, at least for a while.

Reactions: Stargazer
I can see this enticing a lot of ViP users to update, making Dish's job of completing a WA migration to MPEG-4 all the easier.

Now- when HEVC is brought into the sat world, will Dish be producing the H4? Or does the 3 have all but the software to handle the transition?

Reactions: dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)