HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I just had an SJ installed yesterday. The LNB was swapped to the new Hybrid LNB and the wiring changes. If I were to buy the H3 myself could I just unhook the hopper and SJ and install the H3 without any wiring changes? Not sure how the wiring is done now with the new LNB
No! First, you now have a hybrid node and that would need to be changed out to a hybrid hub. They are different. Next, The Super Joey would have to be changed out to a regular Joey or Joey 4k. If you only have one TV, you could connect the coax going to port 1 of the hybrid LNB directly to the coax going to the Hopper location. You eliminate the hub entirely.

No! First, you now have a hybrid node and that would need to be changed out to a hybrid hub. They are different. Next, The Super Joey would have to be changed out to a regular Joey or Joey 4k. If you only have one TV, you could connect the coax going to port 1 of the hybrid LNB directly to the coax going to the Hopper location. You eliminate the hub entirely.

If he now has a DPH lnbf, he already has a Hybrid Hub. Question is, can he use just 1 host port and 1 client port of a Duo hub for a Hopper 3/Joey install

I took the plunge and ordered the H3 from DishDepot. I got to thinking about it and I will be out of contract in 3 or 4 months, and I decided I would just do the upgrade myself. I got a DPH WA LNBF, a solo hub, and Holland HFS splitters for the Joeys. The website says they should ship on the 19th.

I do t know how they can have them in stock when there has been no release date yet? Dish had release no information to retailers yet.

Let's say they do have them in stock and ship you one, I can't imagine you'll be able to call and activate it. The Hopper 3 is not in the system yet from what I can tell.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
I am very interested in this. I currently have a HWS and understand it is not a plug and play upgrade, so what do I need to do the upgrade? I think my current dish should be okay, but what do I possibly need to change out and what other equipment must I order? I am technically inclined, so it's more just getting what I need them I can make it happen. Thanks!

EDIT: what gives me interest on this is because I would like to avoid a new contract as I will be moving within the next year and may not be able to bring dish with me, so I want to avoid the hassle of negotiating cancellation fees
Consider this: If you qualify for the free upgrade and can last at least a year, you could save the $279 upfront cost and pay at most $240 in early cancellation fees ($20x12mos, or is it $10 for an upgrade ETF?). When you do move, depending on where you go, you might be able to take advantage of Dish Mover and not lose your ETF at all.

I do t know how they can have them in stock when there has been no release date yet? Dish had release no information to retailers yet.

Let's say they do have them in stock and ship you one, I can't imagine you'll be able to call and activate it. The Hopper 3 is not in the system yet from what I can tell.
It's probably a "pre-order" and they will finalize it and ship later

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Consider this: If you qualify for the free upgrade and can last at least a year, you could save the $279 upfront cost and pay at most $240 in early cancellation fees ($20x12mos, or is it $10 for an upgrade ETF?). When you do move, depending on where you go, you might be able to take advantage of Dish Mover and not lose your ETF at all.
Good idea. I went ahead and placed the order. I also ordered the Hybrid LNB and Hub with 2 day shipping. That way, I can get that installed and working, then when the Hopper 3 gets here, plug, call and play.

I'll ask Mark from DishDepot. He said they would ship on the 19th so perhaps that is the date? I assume they might just drop ship from the distributor.

Dish sets up the external as encrypted so there shouldn't be

Internal, decrypt, transfer, external, encrypt

steps. Correct?

I claim they do not expose un-encrypted program streams on USB or Ethernet, because it's so easy to sniff. The Sling Adapter security was (to me) jaw-dropping. Reports here stated that the internal program stream was encrypted, sent over USB to the Adapter where it was transcoded and then re-encrypted before going back to the receiver and then re-streamed out via the network.

I'll ask Mark from DishDepot. He said they would ship on the 19th so perhaps that is the date? I assume they might just drop ship from the distributor.

Dish said in the chat that retailers would have the equipment three days before it was available to the public. So far there hasn't been any release date info to retailers. It still just says end of January on the portal. I haven't heard anything from my distributor either.

I took the plunge and ordered the H3 from DishDepot. I got to thinking about it and I will be out of contract in 3 or 4 months, and I decided I would just do the upgrade myself. I got a DPH WA LNBF, a solo hub, and Holland HFS splitters for the Joeys. The website says they should ship on the 19th.
I've currently got a 2H/2J setup that was installed in March 2012. I keep a fairly high monthly pkg with autopay and pp and am oocontract so I think I should be eligible for an early install. If Dish does it and I cancel on day 1 it's $480 for etf, right? If I may ask how much is your setup costing you out of pocket? Big brains will be put into action to figure the most cost effective solution for me. Prolly go with the install if offered since I'm getting too old and lazy to do it myself anymore.

I've currently got a 2H/2J setup that was installed in March 2012. I keep a fairly high monthly pkg with autopay and pp and am oocontract so I think I should be eligible for an early install. If Dish does it and I cancel on day 1 it's $480 for etf, right? If I may ask how much is your setup costing you out of pocket? Big brains will be put into action to figure the most cost effective solution for me. Prolly go with the install if offered since I'm getting too old and lazy to do it myself anymore.
Well the Hopper3 is $279
JOEY is around $90 for Joey2,
4K Joey is $150
Hybrid LNB is $50
HYBRID splitters are $10 and $16 depending on which one you need.

So you are looking at a Minimum $520 retail.
And that if you hook it up yourself.
Dish will install it for you for I believe another $100 even if it's owned.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: oldengineer
Dish said in the chat that retailers would have the equipment three days before it was available to the public. So far there hasn't been any release date info to retailers. It still just says end of January on the portal. I haven't heard anything from my distributor either.
He said they ship tomorrow to them, would arrive Tuesday and then they would ship to consumers. He stated that Dish would activate. The man has been a Dish dealer for 19 years, and he has given me a good deal on equipment, I have heard similar accolades about them from other folks, so I have no reason to doubt him.

He said they ship tomorrow to them, would arrive Tuesday and then they would ship to consumers. He stated that Dish would activate. The man has been a Dish dealer for 19 years, and he has given me a good deal on equipment, I have heard similar accolades about them from other folks, so I have no reason to doubt him.
Seemed Plausible to me .

Like I said it's not uncommon to pre buy electronic equipment before it officially launches

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hmmm. That's interesting. I believe that he's telling the truth but just seems odd. There has not been any news of this released to retailers yet.

Maybe since he's such a large scale national retailer he gets equipment sooner and has closer connections with Dish. I'm not a huge fan of this since retailer contracts state that we are all to be treated equal. Oh well.

I know it's subjective. But. From the 622 to the 722 to the Hoppers. The picture quality seems have gotten better/cleaner with each new device. Has anybody seem the picture quality of the Hopper 3? On the Hopper with Sling you have choices up to 1080P/1080I. I would guess that the added 4K will be there. But is the default resolution going to be 1080P. Always looking for an edge. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)