HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I plan on getting a couple of them just to try them. I haven't even upgraded the TV that I use the most to 4K yet, I am waiting to see what 2016 models and pricing hold. I just want to try the 4K Joeys for the speed, size, and the few extra features.
I wouldn't doubt them going up on the fee in the future, but I bet they will keep the fee the same for "grandfathered" customers.
If you think you might want 4K Joeys, you might want to go ahead and get them, remember the Hopper fee increase.
It's one of those "to each their own" things. Me personally, if I upgrade to 4K, then it will likely be one tv, and I'll have the H3 so I am good. I don't use pip so I am good there too.

I plan on getting a couple of them just to try them. I haven't even upgraded the TV that I use the most to 4K yet, I am waiting to see what 2016 models and pricing hold. I just want to try the 4K Joeys for the speed, size, and the few extra features.
I wouldn't doubt them going up on the fee in the future, but I bet they will keep the fee the same for "grandfathered" customers.
If you think you might want 4K Joeys, you might want to go ahead and get them, remember the Hopper fee increase.

Speed was the main reason I was wanting all 4k's. The Joey 1.0's I have at home stink.

Speed was the main reason I was wanting all 4k's. The Joey 1.0's I have at home stink.

That may be but you won't be using the Joey 1 when you upgrade to the Hopper 3, you would get a Joey 2 witch is faster. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the Joey 2 speed. I have a Wireless Joey and I know that works great, no speed issues at all.

That may be but you won't be using the Joey 1 when you upgrade to the Hopper 3, you would get a Joey 2 witch is faster. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the Joey 2 speed. I have a Wireless Joey and I know that works great, no speed issues at all.

Ok, thanks. Is the joey 2.0 and joey 4k the same speed? Or do we know yet?

Last edited:
I wonder how well 3 WJs operating simultaneously would work.

We "expect" the 4K to have a faster processor, pretty much a necessity with the increased pixel count, etc, and "hope" that will also translate into faster operation.

Ok, thanks. Is the joey 2.0 and joey 4k the same speed? Or do we know yet?
Pretty sure that they're not. The Joey 2 has in fact been around since early 2014 (they are calling it "new" now though but only because they seem to be clearly labeling them as "2.0" models). It has a 900mhz processor. A wireless Joey or maybe it's the SuperJoey, which have been out for about the same amount of time, have, as I recall, a 1300mhz processor and 2x the RAM. The chipset in the 4K Joey is even newer. That doesn't mean it runs at 2ghz or anything, but 1.5ghz or a bit higher wouldn't be out of the question.

Reactions: bobvick
Pretty sure that they're not. The Joey 2 has in fact been around since early 2014 (they are calling it "new" now though but only because they seem to be clearly labeling them as "2.0" models). It has a 900mhz processor. A wireless Joey or maybe it's the SuperJoey, which have been out for about the same amount of time, have, as I recall, a 1300mhz processor and 2x the RAM. The chipset in the 4K Joey is even newer. That doesn't mean it runs at 2ghz or anything, but 1.5ghz or a bit higher wouldn't be out of the question.
It may be worth the $200 for the 4 joeys then. Thanks

Reactions: charlesrshell
A question of semantics...

I know we are supposed to wait for Scott to give the OK for us to contact DIRT...

I was wondering if maybe a single specific thread could be started for all interested members to post a single note to DIRT requesting contact from DIRT about upgrading.
Then DIRT could just go down the list one at a time.
The downside would be expecting members to post only once on the thread.

I'm assuming that's why there haven't been any updates given to retailers since in the last week.

Did you see on there someone stated the h3 will support 7 joeys and the answer was marked correct by dish. Lol, my confidence is slowly dwindling.

Actually, I was thinking of a thread, specifically for contacting DIRT, for upgrading to a Hopper. It appears to be gone now though....

Folks no reason to argue, I know for a fact that what is listed on the employee site isn't always the most accurate information. Its always been that way with DISH and I don't know why but its quite normal for them to be the last to know whats going on at their company. I don't blame BDWAGSTER for sticking to his guns as that is the information provided to him, and that's admirable that he wants to get accurate information out there. :)

I have never figured out why DISH Employees are always the last to know things, but in doing this for almost 15 years I have come to accept the fact that this is the way DISH does things.

I can attest to that, as someone who sells dish as a partner; you were bringing information a week before I had accurate information. It was correct as well.

Rule of thumb... Trust Scott. He knows more than any of us, when it comes to their policies. As was mentioned, techs and CSRs are the very lowest on the totem pole. I have gotten more information from this site and Scott than I ever did in the many hours per month training at Dish. Hell, this site is partially why I was as good as I was. That is why I have no problem throwing money at Scott to "keep the lights on". Even if someone doesn't wanna be a pub member, I recommend donating a small amount just for the info we get and offers available through here.

That shouldn't be an issue. It's just going to cost you a $50 upgrade fee.

I think it will be a worthwhile investment. I don't think I will be upgrading day 1 though as a lot of others seem to be ready to do. If the rollout goes well I'll probably join in. I waited almost a year before jumping on the Hopper bandwagon. My wife is very intolerant of not ready for primetime tech and I take the heat. One time a dying Hopper caused her to miss a recording of one of her shows and she had to watch it on the CBS website using our Dish credentials. She HATED it and I heard about it for a while. So in the interest of family harmony I must be patient. I don't blame people who jump immediately, but in my situation I don't think it is wise. As of right now my family has no idea about a H3 so there is no pressure at all. I of course will be living vicariously through all of the early adopters.:)

A question of semantics...

I know we are supposed to wait for Scott to give the OK for us to contact DIRT...

I was wondering if maybe a single specific thread could be started for all interested members to post a single note to DIRT requesting contact from DIRT about upgrading.
Then DIRT could just go down the list one at a time.
The downside would be expecting members to post only once on the thread.

When the time comes Scott will create a sticky thread for requesting contact from DiRT for Hopper 3 upgrades.

I think it will be a worthwhile investment. I don't think I will be upgrading day 1 though as a lot of others seem to be ready to do. If the rollout goes well I'll probably join in. I waited almost a year before jumping on the Hopper bandwagon. My wife is very intolerant of not ready for primetime tech and I take the heat. One time a dying Hopper caused her to miss a recording of one of her shows and she had to watch it on the CBS website using our Dish credentials. She HATED it and I heard about it for a while. So in the interest of family harmony I must be patient. I don't blame people who jump immediately, but in my situation I don't think it is wise. As of right now my family has no idea about a H3 so there is no pressure at all. I of course will be living vicariously through all of the early adopters.:)

Being a retailer and the type of guy who loves to share info on new equipment I have always installed Dish's new equipment on day one. I've never had a major issue. Sometimes things can be a little buggy but I've always been able to watch TV when I wanted to.

Reactions: bmetelsky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts