Hopper 3 with dish 500 for temporary fix?

zevs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
After many faithful years of service, my 622 is finally biting the dust. I'm a DIYer and mostly used it for locals and recording ample SD shows for my kids, so it just has a dish 500 with a DPP LNB pointed to 119 and 110, and I get most of my HD programming off of a Roku.

Since the 622 is dying, I'm looking at a Hopper 3 to consolidate everything. I think I need to upgrade to a 1000.2 dish, but just to get going quickly for the Olympics, will it pick up 119 and 110 with my current setup, or can I swap out the LNB on my 500 until I have time to set up a 1000.2?

The hopper 3 will only work with a dph lnb designed to fit in a 1000.2 yoke. Never tried what your suggesting but 99.9% sure it won't work.

After many faithful years of service, my 622 is finally biting the dust. I'm a DIYer and mostly used it for locals and recording ample SD shows for my kids, so it just has a dish 500 with a DPP LNB pointed to 119 and 110, and I get most of my HD programming off of a Roku.

Since the 622 is dying, I'm looking at a Hopper 3 to consolidate everything. I think I need to upgrade to a 1000.2 dish, but just to get going quickly for the Olympics, will it pick up 119 and 110 with my current setup, or can I swap out the LNB on my 500 until I have time to set up a 1000.2?

Currently a Hopper 3 must have a Hybrid LNB that only fits the 1000.2 dishes. That might change if/when a Hybrid switch is released but for now that's the way it is.

Currently a Hopper 3 must have a Hybrid LNB that only fits the 1000.2 dishes. That might change if/when a Hybrid switch is released but for now that's the way it is.

Okay, well if I go ahead with switching to the 1000.2 with a hybrid LNB Western Arc, I should be able to pop it on my existing pole the 500 was using and at least adjust it to get 119 and 110, correct? I don't know if I have line of sight to 129, but it should be a pretty safe bet I can get the other two without having to move the pole, shouldn't it?

Okay, well if I go ahead with switching to the 1000.2 with a hybrid LNB Western Arc, I should be able to pop it on my existing pole the 500 was using and at least adjust it to get 119 and 110, correct? I don't know if I have line of sight to 129, but it should be a pretty safe bet I can get the other two without having to move the pole, shouldn't it?

Yes, the 1000.2 fits the same size pole as the D500 and if you saw 110 and 119 before then you should see them again. I don't know how it will work without 129 but it should be fine at least temporarily.

You need 129 for software download.

Even if H3 updates should happen to only come from 129 on the WA, the H3 should be fairly usable out of the box, shouldn't it? So even if it's a week before I can move the pole, wouldn't it be minimally functional?