Hopper 3 with HDMI splitter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Glen T

Original poster
Feb 20, 2017
Wintergreen Va
i bought a different motorhome and when hooking up my Hopper3 in it, I ran into a problem. The RV has 4 TVs that receive signals from a 1x4 HDMI powered splitter in the basement. When connected via HDMI the video and audio signal drops out for a couple of seconds every 10 to 15minutes. I can also connect via component cables and that connection has no problem except for reduced video quality.

My best guess is that the HDMI splitter is not up to the task. I also tried connecting my Apple TV to the HDMI input and got nothing on the screen. I had previously used a vip211k receiver with a different dish and it worked fine on HDMI. For the Hopper I had to install a different dish - 1000.2 equivalent.

Does my analysis seem correct? If so, is there a different HDMI splitter that I can use that will work with the Hopper and Apple TV?

Glen

Yes.
I have been using this with my Joey 2 for about a year with no problems.
I hooked up a second one to my H3 recently to split the signal to a new TV Nd sound bar. I discovered a better way to do this so I am no longer using the second splitter.

I use a Joey for the Bedroom TV and another Joey for the Exterior TV. The Hopper 3 drives the Mid TV and the front TV.

HDMI Splitter units came with the Bounder but I did replace one with a HDMI Splitter from Amazon. I had no signal from the defective unit.

Sounds like a non-powered splitter. I would only use a powered one.

Current splitter is powered. Brand is Triplevision which is same brand r view monitor so I expect it’s a rebranded model from someone else. Since this RV is a 2011 model, the splitter may not support more recent HDMI specs.

I split my HDMi output on my AVR to go to two tvs in other rooms. I tried a passive two way splitter and only received a signal on one tv. I purchased a powered splitter from Monoprice and it works great.

I had a similar experience and it turned out not to be the splitter's fault. Turns out every time the air conditioner would kick in, the picture would drop out very briefly. I traced it back to a faulty HDMI cable. Once replaced, the drop-out's stopped. That being said, your problem MIGHT be the splitter going bad. But maybe try a different HDMI cable first.

I had a similar experience and it turned out not to be the splitter's fault. Turns out every time the air conditioner would kick in, the picture would drop out very briefly. I traced it back to a faulty HDMI cable. Once replaced, the drop-out's stopped. That being said, your problem MIGHT be the splitter going bad. But maybe try a different HDMI cable first.
That sounds like a possibility but very hard to try. The HDMI cables go down through the wall to the basement to the splitter then back to the TVs. Don’t think fishing another cable through there would be doable.

That sounds like a possibility but very hard to try. The HDMI cables go down through the wall to the basement to the splitter then back to the TVs. Don’t think fishing another cable through there would be doable.
For test purposes, can you just run a cable across the floor and try to run it as directly as possible without fishing it thru the wall?

For test purposes, can you just run a cable across the floor and try to run it as directly as possible without fishing it thru the wall?
Not too hard to connect to TV but very hard to reach the splitter in the basement. If I connect direct to the tv I won’t know whether it’s the cable or the splitter.

Not too hard to connect to TV but very hard to reach the splitter in the basement. If I connect direct to the tv I won’t know whether it’s the cable or the splitter.
I would still try it... Then you will know that it is either the cable or splitter. Maybe you can disconnect the splitter and connect it to the test cable to trace the problem further. Or, you can try eliminating the splitter in the basement and temporarily replace it with a barrel connector to see if the cable to the TV is OK.

I would still try it... Then you will know that it is either the cable or splitter. Maybe you can disconnect the splitter and connect it to the test cable to trace the problem further. Or, you can try eliminating the splitter in the basement and temporarily replace it with a barrel connector to see if the cable to the TV is OK.
What I might try is a female to female adapter and put it place of the splitter so one tv gets a signal straight from the Hopper. If that works fine, I will know it’s the splitter which is easiest item to replace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)