Hopper 3 with no joeys

RTCDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
San Jose, CA
Pardon me if this has already been covered, but I didn’t find anything in the searchs.

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my VIP722 to a Hopper 3. I already have a DishProPlus LNBA on the western arc. If no Joeys are going to be used, is a Solo/Duo node required? Instead, can the Hopper 3 be directly connected to the LNBA?

Thanks.

Pardon me if this has already been covered, but I didn’t find anything in the searchs.

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my VIP722 to a Hopper 3. I already have a DishProPlus LNBA on the western arc. If no Joeys are going to be used, is a Solo/Duo node required? Instead, can the Hopper 3 be directly connected to the LNBA?

Thanks.
You will need a 42 switch to continue to use that DishProPlus LNBA with a Hopper 3. Or, you can change out the existing LNBA to hybrid LNBA. That said you can do without the hub (not node) with a Hopper 3 only configuration.

OK, just so I understand… This setup guide shows configurations where Solo/Duo nodes are connected directly to a DishProPlus LNBA without a switch 42 (it doesn’t claim that the LNBA is a hybrid). In these configurations is the Solo/Duo node providing the functionality that a switch 42 would provide?

Later configurations show using a switch 44 when trying to combine a VIP211z and a Hopper 3 into the same system.

Attachments

• HopperJoeySystem_JobAid.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 89
OK, just so I understand… This setup guide shows configurations where Solo/Duo nodes are connected directly to a DishProPlus LNBA without a switch 42 (it doesn’t claim that the LNBA is a hybrid). In these configurations is the Solo/Duo node providing the functionality that a switch 42 would provide?

Later configurations show using a switch 44 when trying to combine a VIP211z and a Hopper 3 into the same system.
Those are Hopper Slings, or Hopper 2's. Those work off of DPP or DPH technology. We haven't used DPP tech for those receivers for a few years so your guides are WAY outdated.

A Hopper 3 will not work with a Node. You need DPH technology by either replacing your DPP LNBF with a DPH LNBF and Solo HUB (Not needed in a single Hopper-only install, but recommended) or add a 42 switch with one cable per satellite coming from the LNBF to the switch.

Attachments

• dp5.png
    dp5.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 107
Yes, I’ve been out of this game for several years now. So I haven’t been keeping up to date with Dish equipment.

I recently got that pictorial guide from the SolidSignal web listing for selling a Hopper 3. However, if I had looked more carefully I would have seen that the Hoppers in the guide are labeled either just a Hopper (1) or a Hopper 2. So it seems their info is also stale.

Is there a current pictorial guide like this using a Hopper 3 that anyone can pass along?

Yes, I’ve been out of this game for several years now. So I haven’t been keeping up to date with Dish equipment.

I recently got that pictorial guide from the SolidSignal web listing for selling a Hopper 3. However, if I had looked more carefully I would have seen that the Hoppers in the guide are labeled either just a Hopper (1) or a Hopper 2. So it seems their info is also stale.

Is there a current pictorial guide like this using a Hopper 3 that anyone can pass along?
I have one in a folder on my computer, I’ll be home in about half an hour or so and I’ll upload it for you

A crucial question to know how to proceed on this transition from a VIP722 to a Hopper 3.

Will Dish allow a VIP722 and a Hopper 3 to be activated on the same account? It appears that a VIP211z is allowed, but I don’t know about VIP7xx series receivers.

Sorry man, I got distracted when I got home and forgot. In this image, the single LNB is only there to show how one would be installed if needed. It's an option that almost never happens
full-7-855-hopper_3_diagram-1024x790.jpg

Most likely, you'll only find the newer Slimline LNB's which means you'll need a new LNBF Bracket to go with it
71KCtrQGeTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks.
If you haven't already set things in motion you might call Loyalty(number in my sig).
You might get a free install ,package discounts and fee discounts. Don't know until you try.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry man, I got distracted when I got home and forgot. In this image, the single LNB is only there to show how one would be installed if needed. It's an option that almost never happens
full-7-855-hopper_3_diagram-1024x790.jpg

Most likely, you'll only find the newer Slimline LNB's which means you'll need a new LNBF Bracket to go with it
71KCtrQGeTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
No problem, Just the diagram I was hoping for. Thanks!

Now for the last detail for upgrading from a 722 to a Hopper 3.

I have over 100 timers on the 722. I would want those same timers on the Hopper 3. However, in all of my research I’ve not found any way to transfers timers from the 722 to a Hopper 3 other than reentering them one-by-one by hand (copying them through a Dish remote didn’t happen until the later 722k version).

Does anyone know of any method to transfer timers (and preferences for that matter) from a 722 to a Hopper 3 other than manually?

Now for the last detail for upgrading from a 722 to a Hopper 3.

I have over 100 timers on the 722. I would want those same timers on the Hopper 3. However, in all of my research I’ve not found any way to transfers timers from the 722 to a Hopper 3 other than reentering them one-by-one by hand (copying them through a Dish remote didn’t happen until the later 722k version).

Does anyone know of any method to transfer timers (and preferences for that matter) from a 722 to a Hopper 3 other than manually?
Yes!! Actually, give the Hopper about a day to settle in, then hit the home button 3 times to get to the Diagnostics Screen. Drop down to Tools. And I THINK it's in the section named Technician Tools (Or something like that) You'll see a Tile named Transfer TImers. That is specifically for copying the timers to the Hopper from a 20.x series (VIP) Remote. I've never actually done it myself, so it may or may not work.

When I made the move, I took photos of the timers. Printed them. Had to write in some information on each timer that did not appear on the main screen.

I’d still do this, as a backup, in case the above suggestion doesn’t work.

And you might consider deleting a bunch of no longer valid timers. I remember finding lots of timers for shows that will never run again.

Yes!! Actually, give the Hopper about a day to settle in, then hit the home button 3 times to get to the Diagnostics Screen. Drop down to Tools. And I THINK it's in the section named Technician Tools (Or something like that) You'll see a Tile named Transfer TImers. That is specifically for copying the timers to the Hopper from a 20.x series (VIP) Remote. I've never actually done it myself, so it may or may not work.
That method only works with VIP722k versions and beyond. My recorders are the original VIP772 that do not support remote transfer of timers. They have means to transfer the timers to the remote. I wish they did as this process would be trivial.

When I made the move, I took photos of the timers. Printed them. Had to write in some information on each timer that did not appear on the main screen.

I’d still do this, as a backup, in case the above suggestion doesn’t work.

And you might consider deleting a bunch of no longer valid timers. I remember finding lots of timers for shows that will never run again.
That’s pretty much along the same lines as what I was thinking of doing if no better method exists.

In fact, the problem is even worse since you also have transfer over all of your preference and the Channel Favorites lists too.

I’ve never understood, when Dish wants people to upgrade to Hoppers, why they didn’t just put a “Save Configuration” option in older recorder’s FW to an EDD. That’s how transfers done on Hopper to Hopper transfers (plus you get to keep Configuration backups on the EDD too). I know folks that are hesitant to upgrade simply because it’s too hard and they think they will lose everything. Using an EDD would have made upgrading from older records trivial and removed the “hardness” and fear barriers.

I guess the only silver lining is that I will only ever have to this once.

Current equipment allows saving to the remote and reloading to new. Sorry, I don’t remember which STBs this works with.

That’s pretty much along the same lines as what I was thinking of doing if no better method exists.

In fact, the problem is even worse since you also have transfer over all of your preference and the Channel Favorites lists too.

I’ve never understood, when Dish wants people to upgrade to Hoppers, why they didn’t just put a “Save Configuration” option in older recorder’s FW to an EDD. That’s how transfers done on Hopper to Hopper transfers (plus you get to keep Configuration backups on the EDD too). I know folks that are hesitant to upgrade simply because it’s too hard and they think they will lose everything. Using an EDD would have made upgrading from older records trivial and removed the “hardness” and fear barriers.

I guess the only silver lining is that I will only ever have to this once.
Because it's 1% of customers who care about timers. Not a priority. Besides, transferring timers (and especially recordings) doesn't always work.