Hopper 3

It’s usually based on dish’s secret credit system but usually you can get a better receiver for an upfront upgrade cost. But I will list all the receivers available to new customers.

DVR’s:

Hopper 2000(original- very very slow)

Hopper With Sling(2nd gen Hopper - sling built in - bearable if coming from cable)

Hopper 3 with Sling( newest Hopper DVR - faster than all competitors DVR’s - can output 4K)

Joeys( for additional TVs in Hopper system)

Joey 1(no longer installed in new setups)

Joey 2(default Joey used for new installs)

Joey 3(newest and fastest but only available upon request and if your local installer has them in stock)

Joey 4K (only Joey capable of 4K content)

Non DVRs

Wally (now has two satellite tuners - can add external HDD with one time $40 fee to have recording capabilities)

Hopper Duo
Hopper Duo is a DVR, bro

Interestingly enough, if you go to the Dish website tonight to sign up for new service, they aren't offering you the ability to get a Hopper 3 through the web sign-up page. Only the Duo for exceptional, good, and average credit, and either the Hopper 1 or HWS (they don't seem to specify) for those building credit. Wonder what's up with that.

Interestingly enough, if you go to the Dish website tonight to sign up for new service, they aren't offering you the ability to get a Hopper 3 through the web sign-up page. Only the Duo for exceptional, good, and average credit, and either the Hopper 1 or HWS (they don't seem to specify) for those building credit. Wonder what's up with that.
There's still a shortage of Hopper 3's possibly. I wouldn't ever sign up for service through a web site anyway. I'd always want to talk to someone - American preferably - to make sure I get all my questions answered

Reactions: blatimer1983
I read somewhere on the internet (googled things may be obsolete by 2020) that hard drives may become obsolete moving on to cloud storage. I’m concerned about this because the internet is not fast enough in some areas. Hopefully, the internet will be a lot faster by 2020.

I wasn’t exactly sure if it was DVR capable. So it’s basically a 722k with the new interface(and faster hardware of course)?
No. It Looks like a wally, has the new CUI and uses a Joey (Any kind've Joey) at the 2nd TV. Hooks up like a Hopper with a Hybrid Solo Hub, and uses DPP OR Hybrid LNBF and has a 500GB HDD

I read somewhere on the internet (googled things may be obsolete by 2020) that hard drives may become obsolete moving on to cloud storage. I’m concerned about this because the internet is not fast enough in some areas. Hopefully, the internet will be a lot faster by 2020.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Spinning hard drives still have a lot of life left in them. Capacities continue to grow, but not as fast as SSDs, but SSDs that can be re-written constantly like a hard drive are very expensive. Where I work, we still buy about a petabyte of spinning disk drives every year since we do not need the speed, just the capacity. Right now, we are buying 10TB drives, but I expect we will move to 12TB or larger by the end of the year.

I suspect the article you read suggested hard drives may be obsolete in your laptop/desktop computer by 2020, and I would agree with that. I would say they are obsolete now IMHO. For a DVR though, hard drives are the best solution available for the foreseeable future, especially given the downsides of cloud DVRs and simple fact that so many people do not have good high speed Internet access across the world.

If it’s not a April fools joke already it’s a good day to release a new hopper . We can change things around . The new receivers will have more pastel colors and hop on down the bunny trail. Just hope it doesn’t lay a egg

I remember my first 1 GB hard drive. There was a special jumper setting to make it look like two 500 MB drives so DOS could see it. I have been build pCs since before MS DOS and haven't used a spinning hard drive for a boot drive for at least 5 years.

I have been wanting a larger hard drive since my first Hopper arrived. I filled the drive in a couple weeks. My 2 TB drives have been full ever since and I have a collection of external drives. Right now I think 8 TB is the sweet spot.

The red light no longer makes sense with PTAT. But I miss it too.

The chart shows that the Hopper3 will support 71 TV's. Is that correct?
Would that be used for apartment complexes? How would that be wired? With only 16 tuners + PTAT + OTA not all 71 TV's could view independent content.

The chart shows that the Hopper3 will support 71 TV's. Is that correct?
Would that be used for apartment complexes? How would that be wired? With only 16 tuners + PTAT + OTA not all 71 TV's could view independent content.

That's 7 TV's. The little 1 is for a reference to a footnote that apparently isn't on that page of the chart.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)