Hopper and UPS Autoshutdown...

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
My area has been having high winds and a "lovely" wintery mix so of course a few times we've lost power here. Once for about an hour and a few more times for anywhere from a couple of minutes to about 10 seconds.

Does anyone know if the Hopper has drivers and/or software installed which allows it to work with a UPS for automatic shutdowns?

Regardless, it's a good idea to get them on a UPS so that brief power outages don't take their toll on the internal hard drive.

Ive had my DVR's on a UPS for about 6-7 years now.
I'd be willing to wager that they've never gracefully shut themselves down before the batteries ran out on the UPS.

For those not familiar with robust disk filing systems, this might be a big concern. As it is, even with writing several sessions at once, it isn't really a concern at all.

I've also had my DVRs on UPS for years. Don't care about the shutdown, but it's great for the cases (too frequent here) of losing power for just a few seconds/minutes.

I just keep mine on a UPS for short power issues and for recording stability. My current is good for about 2.5 hours, as far as a long term outage if Im at work or out of town, I could care less if it gives out. Once a year is a lot better than once a month.

Too bad, that would be a nice feature to include at little to no cost. It may be more of an issue with the use of the MIPS CPU than anything else.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)