Hopper Audio Question (NEW)

iamretired911

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
United States
I have a question for the group.
Is it possible to have the audio out on the hopper go to different sources?

What I am trying to to do is this;
currently I have my Hopper connected to a sound bar, however when I want to watch movies, I would like to use my Logitech sound system.
Can I use a
RCA Audio / Video Splitter Adapter (Y-Splitter) (RCA Male to 2 RCA Female)
[RCA_Y_Splitter]

Yes, you can split the audio out of the back of your satellite receiver and send it to multiple sound/speaker systems. You'd need two of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12475707

and any cable with male RCAs on both ends like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3449311

You could also use something like this to split the outputs: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3450791

You may have other options for delivering audio to your Logitech sound system. See if has optical digital audio input. If so, you could benefit from surround sound or at least better quality audio than the RCA splitter approach.

Thanks very much for the choices.
I have notice that there is an optical port on both the Hopper and my Logitech system, so now I guess the question is can I leave the current sound with the RCA jack going to my sound bar for regular TV watching and then maybe I can use the optical connection with my Logitech system for the movies? SO in essence, can I use the audio with the RCA jack and also the optical or will one disable the other?

If you audio system has fiber input, then the clear choice is to use Toslink to connect to that from the Hopper.
This gives you a second connection so no need to rewire, to split or anything else and you get 5.1 DD.
Red and white is only stereo. Whoops hadn't seen you came to the same conclusion.
-Ken

Why not use the optical to Logitech system all the time? Surely you get better audio than from the soundbar. And DD5.1 is not limited to just movies.

Thanks very much for the choices.
I have notice that there is an optical port on both the Hopper and my Logitech system, so now I guess the question is can I leave the current sound with the RCA jack going to my sound bar for regular TV watching and then maybe I can use the optical connection with my Logitech system for the movies? SO in essence, can I use the audio with the RCA jack and also the optical or will one disable the other?
Yes you can leave the RCA cables connected to your sound bar and add optical to the Logitech. Both will work at the same time.

Like KAB, I also wonder why you'd want to use the Logitech system only on movies. I've been running TV audio into my stereo system for several decades and would never consider listening to TV through anything less. I didn't even unpack the speakers that came with my Pioneer plasma TV.

Additional Hopper Audio Out Question

I have a HDMI run to my Onkyo TX-NR818 and in order to be able to listen to the Hopper on my outside speakers though the receiver's Zone Two I believe I have to run either an Optical or Component cable to the receiver. Obviously I would prefer the Optical - is the Optical port active if I am also using the HDMI port?

Thanks

I have a HDMI run to my Onkyo TX-NR818 and in order to be able to listen to the Hopper on my outside speakers though the receiver's Zone Two I believe I have to run either an Optical or Component cable to the receiver. Obviously I would prefer the Optical - is the Optical port active if I am also using the HDMI port?

Thanks

Yes, it works.

Thanks
While all outputs of the satellite receiver are active simultaneously, the Onkyo receiver will not route HDMI or other digital audio to zone 2 or 3. From the manual:

"Only analog input sources are output by the ZONE 2/3 LINE OUT ... Digital input sources are not output. "

This means you'll need to run the left/right analog signals from the satellite receiver to the Onkyo.

While all outputs of the satellite receiver are active simultaneously, the Onkyo receiver will not route HDMI or other digital audio to zone 2 or 3. From the manual:

"Only analog input sources are output by the ZONE 2/3 LINE OUT ... Digital input sources are not output. "

This means you'll need to run the left/right analog signals from the satellite receiver to the Onkyo.

I am a little confused on this point. Page 21 of the manual says:

- With connection 4 (Coaxial/Optical) you can enjoy Dolby Digital and DTS. (To listen in Zone 2/3 as well, use 4 (Coaxial/Optical) and 6 (Component.))

- With connection 6 (Component), you can enjoy audio from eternal components while you are in Zone 2/3.

The first bullet seem to me to be saying you can use the Optical. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have an Onkyo as well and only analog audio can be heard through zones 2/3. It's hidden in the troubleshooting section of the manual. Also know, that if you are running speakers for zones 2/3 directly from the receiver (not to another amp) your main zone only outputs 5.1 when those zones are enabled. Not a huge deal, I just disable the zones when not in use. (an extra step though, so a little annoying)

Here's the bit from the manual.

Screen shot 2013-04-22 at 1.52.47 PM.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)