Hopper Causing internet connection issues with router?

I run an Airport Extreme feeding multiple switches with 2 dozen wired devices and a half dozen wireless with two Hoppers and everything is default setup using DHCP. If you are entering IPs, it's not going to work with Hoppers as they only support HDCP.

Sometimes using your router and assigning static DHCP IPs does make things simpler. Instead of using multiple APs to control if traffic is routed either through my VPN or directly through my local ISP I use a router that makes that decision based on the connected device's IP. Based on my Dish receiver's MAC address the receivers are assigned a static IP which always connects to my local ISP. If the router didn't do this then DISH, based on the IP that they were seeing when my receivers called home, might think that one night the receivers were in Miami, the next Stockholm or perhaps London. (I'm not sure DISH really pays that much attention as according to the IP they were using for a month the receivers appeared to be in Sweden. Sometime I will order a PPV movie with a Swedish IP and see what happens.)

The computer in my home office is set up to always connect using the VPN through my router to protect sensitive account information. This is simpler than having to start a stand alone VPN program on the computer. If I want more speed on the computer for a big download I just change my Ethernet adapter's MAC address on my computer and I am directly connected to my local ISP.

Everyone's requirements are different. For those of us who understand how to use our routers and their firmware we can bend technology to our needs.

After the initial switching on/off with it on a separate network, it smoothed out has been stable for the past few days. Our conclusion: security cannot be on for the Hopper. It has to be on an unsecured network to have internet or it causes problems. Once it was off our primary network, the primary network has been flawless.

I don't know if the Hopper has caused other issues, but we are now into week 3 of a lot of Internet connectivity and speed issues that we did not have prior to the Hopper connection. Our ISP has been out twice and cannot seem to find a problem. We have disconnected the Hopper and it is better (although not back to normal) the speed was slow enough that we could not use the features with the Hopper anyhow. I don't see this working for us. We are rural and have only been able to achieve decent Internet speed with this WISP PoE set up. Not sure what to do from this point.

After the initial switching on/off with it on a separate network, it smoothed out has been stable for the past few days. Our conclusion: security cannot be on for the Hopper. It has to be on an unsecured network to have internet or it causes problems. Once it was off our primary network, the primary network has been flawless.

I doubt that, it sounds like a port issue to me. If the Hopper can't get to the correct port, then it is going to do something crazy until it can get out and make whatever connection it needs to make. You may want to try to find port requirements for Hopper/Joey configurations and set your router to forward those ports only to the Hopper/Joey. Or, you can the put Hopper and Joeys into the DMZ portion of the router and that way it is separate from the rest of the network while still allowing it to connect to the other Joeys. This type of configuration will allow the rest of the network to maintain security while allowing the Hopper and Joey a little more internet freedom.

Shorty

Ever since the my hopper/joey/network adapter was installed, I have been experiencing the same problem. Other computers on my network are constantly dropping their internet connection. Unplug the network interface and everything returns to normal. Any suggestions on the best way to fix this??

Most routers can set a port to be a certain address or via the MAC set an ip for that address and the unit being plugged in is simply in a auto mode to use whatever ip it is given.

One note that I haven't seen. It is not unusually for a router to have issues with the additional load of other devices, in particular if you are plugging a ethernet cable into it's built in router. It seems every company these days is using inferior wall warts for their devices which are often unable to deliver sufficiently steady power. One of the effects of this low power can be failure of internal processes, like connecting to your isp, or the internal router failing. One way to watch this is find a wifi channel that is pretty clear and then use a tool like inSSIDER which allows you to monitor your WIFI signal strength over time. Start a logging session with inSSIDER and then use another machine to transfer some data across your wireless network.

Watch the signal strength. As the data flows across antennas, more power is needed to maintain power levels on them. As router power needs grow, if it is unable to find enough power, you will see issues with the wifi signal. Normally it should be almost a flat line over time at a set strength. When there is an issue with power, you will see the flat line have jaggies, or even times when the signal completely goes away.

Ever since the my hopper/joey/network adapter was installed, I have been experiencing the same problem. Other computers on my network are constantly dropping their internet connection. Unplug the network interface and everything returns to normal. Any suggestions on the best way to fix this??

I have 1H/2J and when the hopper is directly connected via Ethernet to my DLink Di-524 Wireless Router, the hopper fails to get any broadband connectivity. When I go to the network settings screen, and ethernet is plugged in, I cannot select the other connections--it defaults to MoCa and I can't change to either ethernet connection. When I connect the Netgear Wireless USB adapter to the Joey and connect to my router via WiFi, I can get a connection, but it's intermittent. Watching ONDemand frequently buffers and then eventually fails to buffer at all, forcing me to stop play. The OnDemand menu then says the download failed for whatever I was watching. I have to delete the episode and start it over from the beginning.

There is obviously something wrong with the hopper itself or it's firmware as I'm not the only one who has this same problem, with the exact same equipment no less. My Vip722 did not have this issue.

There is obviously something wrong with the hopper itself or it's firmware as I'm not the only one who has this same problem, with the exact same equipment no less. My Vip722 did not have this issue.
probably a software issue. report it all to DIRT...

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

I was able to remedy this issue myself somewhat. I had a wireless Dlink bridge that connects via wireless to extend my wifi network. It has one ethernet port on it that i connected directly to the hopper. After a hard reset it connected and seemed to STAY CONNECTED. I took the netgear usb adapter from dish and plugged it into the joey, configured the wireless, then still had to do a hard reset of the joey, and then that joey was online as well. Using the moca connection on the joey did not work and i couldn't reset the moca network from the hopper either. So now I have one more joey that needs a wireless adapter to get OnDemand....

So connecting via ethernet to a bridge to my router works with the hopper but ethernet directly to router with the hopper does not. MoCa connection doesn't work at all for joeys but using wireless usb does work.

And I know what I'm doing...i'm an A+ certified, N+ certified, software developer.

So now I have one more joey that needs a wireless adapter to get OnDemand....

ondemand streams from the Hopper as that's where the hard drive is. The only reason to network connect a joey is for DLNA and even then you can just enable bridging on the hopper.

If all you want is ondemand, you only needed to connect the one hopper.

I had a similar issue and had to change from a D-Link router to a netgear n600 and the problem was solved.

ondemand streams from the Hopper as that's where the hard drive is. The only reason to network connect a joey is for DLNA and even then you can just enable bridging on the hopper.

If all you want is ondemand, you only needed to connect the one hopper.

I would have thought the tech would have enabled bridging on the hopper so that I could get onDemand on the Joeys via MoCa. I'm going to double check this setting when I get home and see if this is actually the case. If so, i should be able to remove the wireless adapter from the joey.

I would have thought the tech would have enabled bridging on the hopper so that I could get onDemand on the Joeys via MoCa. I'm going to double check this setting when I get home and see if this is actually the case. If so, i should be able to remove the wireless adapter from the joey.

ondemand should work on the joey regardless of whether bridging is set since it's all coming from the hopper. Bridging would only get you DLNA on the joey.

DLNA and ondemand are two different things. Techs usually won't enable bridging in single hopper installations since so few people need DLNA.

Last edited:
I have these same ISSUES many devices on my Network, Wired and Wireless. Soon as i have HOPPER, it all has issues (Hopper takes over other devices IP addresses) I need to find a fix for this..

I am cross posting from another thread on the web (THIS SITE wont let me post the URL)

my POST...

I too am having DHCP and IP Conflicts. Hopper is to blame for all my issues.
I have 3 macs for example on my network. Some connected Ethernet some Wifi,. Hopper is connected by Ethernet too. Along with xbox 360, OUYA, Google TV, and more.
what happens is.. suddenly my mac computers will pop up saying "Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address" and boots my MAC computer off.

The mac address of the IP conflict lead to one of 3 mac addresses so far of the Hopper.
I cant resolve the issue yet.

I set as many of my Devices, Computers, Xbox 360, Ouya, Google TV, Imac, mac power book, imac G5, macmini, etc, Win machines all on STATIC IP addresses.
Then i also set my Cable Gateway Router (Motorola SBG6580) to only hand out DHCP from like 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.30 and left the rest of the IP as NON DHCP.

that seems to not fix.
when my Mac computer says "Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address" (which i had my Mac compute set to 192.168.1.70) i would go into network prefs and change my Static IP to 192.168.1.71 or 72 or 73. any my GOD
soon as i do, the IP conflict keeps saying "Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address" no matter what i put in . then i need to unplug HOPPER Ethernet, or power cycle Router. then it always comes back.
I am experimenting with my ROUTERS option to RESERVE IP's
but i tried that and been having mixed results.

in my routers config... if i simply RESERVE mac address to IP address and name it "iMac" i would assume the IP would never be taken by any other device.
i will TRY again, for earlier it didnt seem to work.
HELP.
I am thinking of completely turning off DHCP, but i think some devices NEED it.

I have these same ISSUES many devices on my Network, Wired and Wireless. Soon as i have HOPPER, it all has issues (Hopper takes over other devices IP addresses) I need to find a fix for this..

I am cross posting from another thread on the web (THIS SITE wont let me post the URL)

my POST...

I too am having DHCP and IP Conflicts. Hopper is to blame for all my issues.
I have 3 macs for example on my network. Some connected Ethernet some Wifi,. Hopper is connected by Ethernet too. Along with xbox 360, OUYA, Google TV, and more.
what happens is.. suddenly my mac computers will pop up saying "Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address" and boots my MAC computer off.

The mac address of the IP conflict lead to one of 3 mac addresses so far of the Hopper.
I cant resolve the issue yet.

I set as many of my Devices, Computers, Xbox 360, Ouya, Google TV, Imac, mac power book, imac G5, macmini, etc, Win machines all on STATIC IP addresses.
Then i also set my Cable Gateway Router (Motorola SBG6580) to only hand out DHCP from like 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.30 and left the rest of the IP as NON DHCP.

that seems to not fix.
when my Mac computer says "Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address" (which i had my Mac compute set to 192.168.1.70) i would go into network prefs and change my Static IP to 192.168.1.71 or 72 or 73. any my GOD
soon as i do, the IP conflict keeps saying "Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address" no matter what i put in . then i need to unplug HOPPER Ethernet, or power cycle Router. then it always comes back.
I am experimenting with my ROUTERS option to RESERVE IP's
but i tried that and been having mixed results.

in my routers config... if i simply RESERVE mac address to IP address and name it "iMac" i would assume the IP would never be taken by any other device.
i will TRY again, for earlier it didnt seem to work.
HELP.
I am thinking of completely turning off DHCP, but i think some devices NEED it.

I used DHCP reservation to reserve IP addresses for my Hoppers and Joeys and the MoCa network on my home network. Basically you take the MAC address of a Hopper enter it into a field in the router software and then assign it an IP address. I think I originally did this because something on my network was slow to assign an IP address and it was causing problems on my home network. I'm not sure if it was the Hopper/Joeys or a WiFi-Printer.

UPDATE:

My Cable Modem Gateway Router (Motorola SBG6580) has WIFI split into Primary (192.168.1.X) and Guest Networks. (192.168.0.X)
I pretty much unpplugged the ETHERNET from my Hopper and tell it to connect to my GUEST WIFI.
Everything seems GOOD. My Modem/Router is Wireless N, so its faster.
I even tried accessing my DishNetwork Anywhere with my Nexus7 Tablet (Connected to Primary WIFI) and it worked great accessing my Hopper (Connected to Guest WIFI) I was surprised, thinking the 2 (Primary and Guest) would be seperate. seems to work.
I hardly have anything on my Guest WIFI so hopper can grab and steal any IP's on that side all it wants.

I will post any further issues. I hope to eventually get my Hopper Hard wired into Ethernet some day too. Seems there is some ISSUE with hopper and taking over other IP addresses.

Last edited:
Another guy on a diff FORUM has this solution..

What I actually do that is easier is in my DHCP device, which happens to be my router, I do DHCP 'reservations'. I just get the MAC address of the Hoppers and other things I want to make 'Static' and setup the reservations on those 4-5 devices and let all other things remain DHCP. That way the offending devices are always given the same IP address via DHCP. It's like a static IP, but done through DHCP based on the requesting device's MAC address. Works like a charm! - Chris Colotti

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts