Hopper DNLA preferred settings, formats, servers

J0YKER

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Orange Country CA
My hopper install has given me renewed interest in ripping my dvd collection to digital format, but I now want to choose a format that the Hopper system will play. Ideally I want to use my new Neatgear router with a built in Readyshare DNLA server to stream without a PC. I thought others might have some advice or want to know this as well. Particularly my questions are: Has anyone else had success with handbrake or any other file conversion programs? Did they find any settings that worked (and any that didn't work)? Also what DNLA servers and transcoding options worked best? Below are what settings, conversion programs, and DNLA servers I have tried. Thanks for the input.

DNLA servers (all with stock options):

1. Readyshare (hosted on router): MP4 and MKV files appear and are usually playable (depends on the conversion program). Other formats like avi have a “?” symbol and are not playable.
  2. PS3 Media Player (hosted on windows PC): Seems to play same files as Netgear Readyshare. Anything in transcode folder is unplayable.
  3. Serviio (hosted on windows PC): Hopper hangs after selecting "Serviio" from the home media screen (green dots). Tried multiple times and on both my hoppers. Requires a full reset for Home media to display any servers again.
DVD/Media Conversion programs and settings:

1. Handbrake
- MP4 wrapper: Files appears playable, but return to the home media menu after a few seconds at the loading (green dot) screen. I used the Normal Regular setting, High profile setting, Universal ios settings (MP4 wrapper, m4v format, Constant framerate, Default profile resolution, Quality at RF 19-20, both Web optimized option turned on and off). File size was about 900mb to 1.6 gb. Tried renaming mkv format to mp4, and files still not playable.
- MKV wrapper: Files play, occasional static or blank screen flashes on screen (need to test more files). Used Normal Regular setting, Quality RF20, mkv format, constant framerate, Default profile resolution. File fast forward and rewinds well at 4x-60x. Freezes at 300x and sometimes need to exit and restart

1. Slysoft DVDm obile
- Generic MP4 profile. Files play fine. File fast forward and rewinds well at 4x-15x. Freezes occasionally at 60x-300x. Audio sometimes gets out of sync after 60x-300x fast forward. Used Generic MP4 profile, MP4 file format, RF 10 and RF 20 quality, 720x480 resolution, file size 780 mb to 1.3 GB
(PS why is the word m o b i l e banned from being posted in a thread. Wasted 15 min figuring that out)

I don't use this feature much so I can't help with the programs to use but here are the officially supported formats for 922/Hopper DLNA playback.

Images – JPEG only all sizes (thumbnails use PNG)

Video – Containers MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, MKV, MP4 with combination of Video codec H264/AVC, MPEG2 and audio codec, AAC, AAC PLUS, AC3 and MPEG audio

Audio – MP3 , AAC , ALAC, FLAC, AC3, WAV, LPCM

I am using a program called Any Video Converter Ultimate to rip my DVDs. When I am done with the DVDs I will research a program to rip my Blu-Ray discs.
I've ripped almost 200 discs using the MP4 format. I have not had any problems playing them back with the Hoppers.
My camcorder records in the m2ts format and they play back fine with no converting.

Video: MP4 x264, Bitrate 4000, frames 30.
I never could get the MKV format to work.

On my media server I am using the program TVersity. I have 4 folders setup. One for movies, one for pictures, one for mp3 and one for Camcorder recordings. Transcode is set to Never.
For the MP3 folder I had to not include the cover art images. If I select an album and just let it play, the hooper would lock up on the images. Set TVersity to only show MP3s in the Music folder and fixed the problem.

I have played back many movies, mp3s and quite a few pictures with no problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)