Hopper EHD Error Code 1003

Bowtie41

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Hello,
I posted this over at DBSTalk a couple days ago,and have had no replies,so I thought I would try here too,even though several members belong to both:
Hello,and Thank You for letting me become a member of your forum! I am having an issue with my Hopper and spent the last couple days pouring over the posts and can't find a similar problem,so here goes:In March we switched from Directv to Dish so we could get the Hopper system.At that point we had to lose all of our DVR recordings from Directv.When we had the Hopper installed(and 2 Joeys),at first it had the "normal",lol lockups and reboots,but the last couple months have been fine.Then,a couple weeks ago,the DVR started showing "no programs available to view" in the PTAT,but all the other DVR scheduled recordings are still recording and playing fine.I double checked all of the settings to make sure the wife or grandkids didn't turn it off.It was all fine.I contacted Dish,and after going through a couple of tiers of Tech,they wrote a ticket,and said the would ship a replacement Hopper.At that point,I ordered the Western Digital AV EHD,to back up what I have now,to transfer to the new unit.As far as the Tech goes,it's been 2 weeks without a response.When the EHD arrived,I followed the instructions,and got the error 1003"This feature is not available".I contacted tech again,and they said they would update the ticket.When I explained I only had so many days to return the old Hopper(still using old,the new one is just setting here,until Tech replies),or be charged,she said she would take care of any charges to my bill until Tech. could make a decision,which she said could be 3-10 days(Very nice of her!).I have done several reboots,repowers of both Hopper and EHD,but get same error.I asked CS if I could get permission to remove HD from Hopper and do manually,since the unit has been deemed defective,but she couldn't do that.I used to repair & install C/Ku systems,done reinstalls of Dish/Directv for family/friends after reroofing,and build my own PC's,as well as being a machinist and electrician on the side for 25+yrs,so I'm very capable.I just don't want to lose all of our programs like I had to do with Directv,especially after buying a new EHD.Any ideas?Thank You in advance for any help!

Hello,
I posted this over at DBSTalk a couple days ago,and have had no replies,so I thought I would try here too,even though several members belong to both:
Hello,and Thank You for letting me become a member of your forum! I am having an issue with my Hopper and spent the last couple days pouring over the posts and can't find a similar problem,so here goes:In March we switched from Directv to Dish so we could get the Hopper system.At that point we had to lose all of our DVR recordings from Directv.When we had the Hopper installed(and 2 Joeys),at first it had the "normal",lol lockups and reboots,but the last couple months have been fine.Then,a couple weeks ago,the DVR started showing "no programs available to view" in the PTAT,but all the other DVR scheduled recordings are still recording and playing fine.I double checked all of the settings to make sure the wife or grandkids didn't turn it off.It was all fine.I contacted Dish,and after going through a couple of tiers of Tech,they wrote a ticket,and said the would ship a replacement Hopper.At that point,I ordered the Western Digital AV EHD,to back up what I have now,to transfer to the new unit.As far as the Tech goes,it's been 2 weeks without a response.When the EHD arrived,I followed the instructions,and got the error 1003"This feature is not available".I contacted tech again,and they said they would update the ticket.When I explained I only had so many days to return the old Hopper(still using old,the new one is just setting here,until Tech replies),or be charged,she said she would take care of any charges to my bill until Tech. could make a decision,which she said could be 3-10 days(Very nice of her!).I have done several reboots,repowers of both Hopper and EHD,but get same error.I asked CS if I could get permission to remove HD from Hopper and do manually,since the unit has been deemed defective,but she couldn't do that.I used to repair & install C/Ku systems,done reinstalls of Dish/Directv for family/friends after reroofing,and build my own PC's,as well as being a machinist and electrician on the side for 25+yrs,so I'm very capable.I just don't want to lose all of our programs like I had to do with Directv,especially after buying a new EHD.Any ideas?Thank You in advance for any help!

Which USB port are you plugging the EHD in? Removing the HD on the Hopper will void the warranty.

You will never get permission to remove a hard drive from your hopper or even to open the box itself. If memory serves me correctly I believe there is even a safety seal on the hard drive and where it's connected so you can't remove it. If there is any thing you wish to save you have to back it up to an external hard drive thru their software if possible. I'm sorry I tried this once and they are extremely touchy about anyone opening one of those boxes. You could always try and hope you don't get caught. The tech themselves really don't open boxes and swap drives they in my experience only switch out boxes so I can't imagine them being a help with what you want to do. Did you make sure you tried every USB port with your EHD? One other you could call dish and see if they send another hit to activate the EHD feature. And did you pay the $40 to activate EHD?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Thank You for the replies!

ZachS,I have the EHD plugged into the eSATA port,the only thing I have in the available USB ports is my Sling adapter.

keckge,I figured they wouldn't give me permission,but it was worth a try.It would be a lot simpler than all the trouble I've had so far.I didn't try the drive in either USB port,as the 1st tech. said I had to buy a eSATA drive to be compatible with the Hopper,so I bought the one listed on Dish website.I "assumed",lol,being a eSATA drive,it had to go to the eSATA port.No tech. or CSR ever mentioned a $40 fee to activate a EHD.If that's the case,it may be the problem,and really makes me angry after spending all the money on a EHD,just to have to pay more to use it.Again,I just "assumed" that there was no fee,and it should just work.

There is no fee, and it should just work after formatting by the Hopper. But... I didn't realize the eSATA was enabled as yet. :eek:

TheKrell,
Well,I just switched from the eSATA cable to the USB,and the Hopper recognized it,and is currently formatting it.Hopefully,I will at least be able to back up the DVR,even though the PTAT isn't working.Thank you ALL for the help!! I'll post back later about whether the shows actually went to the EHD and later to the new Hopper.God Bless!

Well,after staring at the screen saying it was formatting for an hour,(read in another post it should've been like 15 min.),I decided it wasn't going to happen,so I unplugged the USB,gave it a minute to stop,and powered down everything.Letting set for 10-15min.,and keeping fingers crossed.:confused:

So now after fighting this setup for over 5hrs due to errors with getting new Hopper authorized,downloading updates,and getting Joeys paired,the EHD won't transfer saying it is linked to another account.The tech just apologized and said the new Hopper had updated software and that's why it wouldn't work.I asked why in the H#LL the tech didn't tell me this before I dropped $130 on a EHD,and wasted 15 hrs transfering?I am so mad!!!Now the Joeys are missing 1/2 the channels,no locals,Com Central,nothing,and the Sling isn't working.What a crock of wasting time and money.I asked the tech if they could roll back the software for me to transfer,but he didn't seem like the brightest bu;b in the box.Any Hope or ideas?Thanks!!!!!

So now after fighting this setup for over 5hrs due to errors with getting new Hopper authorized,downloading updates,and getting Joeys paired,the EHD won't transfer saying it is linked to another account.The tech just apologized and said the new Hopper had updated software and that's why it wouldn't work.I asked why in the H#LL the tech didn't tell me this before I dropped $130 on a EHD,and wasted 15 hrs transfering?I am so mad!!!Now the Joeys are missing 1/2 the channels,no locals,Com Central,nothing,and the Sling isn't working.What a crock of wasting time and money.I asked the tech if they could roll back the software for me to transfer,but he didn't seem like the brightest bu;b in the box.Any Hope or ideas?Thanks!!!!!

Can you please send me your account information? Also what happens when you try to go to a missing channel?

Well,read a post on dbstalk that let me relink Joeys easily.I tried what RayC posted elsewhere about plugging/unplugging AC and MoCA in sequence,but after several tries I still couldn't get it to work.So I went to each Joey which were apparently trying to relink to the old Hopper(by the # shown) still,and hit Menu/Settings/Network Setup/Whole Home,clicked on the Hopper,the status went from red(unlinked)to green(linked)and bang it was done!Hope this helps other newbies.Still no Sling or able to load the new Hopper from the EHD,but I'm makin' progress!:D