Hopper enough to satisfy? I say yes!

glowrdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I've thought about cable cutting for a few years, and it just isn't feasible (read: wife won't let me get rid of Bravo). I know in the world of contracts, I'm generally itching to get the next best thing, and I'm held back by a contract. Cell phones are a good example. I always get a new phone every year (now every 2 since it's a Verizon iPhone)

I actually think the Hopper might be my end-all of set top boxes. I can see myself keeping this for quite a few years and staying contract free in case I get the itch to say the heck with it all and cancel. Anyone else found a happy place with the Hopper? I read all kinds of complaints on here, but I'm not sure if it's power users complaining, or some people that aren't "techy" and are getting confused by these new fangled electro thingys. Granted, things can always be better, or work differently. But so far, the Hopper is the best setup I've had ever. Comcast never compared, the 922 I couldn't get rid of fast enough, and I think this even tops my 722k that I first got.

One thing I miss with Directv's whole home was being able to see all recordings in the list from all HD-DVR's at once. With the Hopper you have to toggle which one you want to see. Small minor annoyance but nothing to dampen my thoughts of this amazing receiver! My wife thought High Crimes was deleted so she watched it on our laptop. I showed her how to toggle to the other Hopper quickly after that. Gotta keep her happy.

The only problem with the Hopper is its essentially a 3 tuner system if it was a 4 tuner system I think it would be without question the beat system available today. For example if you have 2 bedrooms and a living room and all are watching live TV no tuner for dvr recording which in my case is a no go so I have all 722s or 612s

The only problem with the Hopper is its essentially a 3 tuner system if it was a 4 tuner system I think it would be without question the beat system available today. For example if you have 2 bedrooms and a living room and all are watching live TV no tuner for dvr recording which in my case is a no go so I have all 722s or 612s
I had the same issue needing at least 4 tuners. I ended up getting two hoppers and now we usually have 1 or 2 spare tuners most days. It would have been more aggravating dealing with conflicts, so it was worth it.

The promotions seem to be getting better too, so 2 hoppers may be less of a cost issue going forward as well.

Funny you posted that, because that was the story that I read when I created this thread. I'm completely happy with the hopper - until I decide to cancel and move on to something else (more of a different technology/solution vs just getting a new box and extending my contract)

With recordings now being shared, works out great if you want to watch a movie in a different room! I think it's a great system

sparc said:
I had the same issue needing at least 4 tuners. I ended up getting two hoppers and now we usually have 1 or 2 spare tuners most days. It would have been more aggravating dealing with conflicts, so it was worth it.

The promotions seem to be getting better too, so 2 hoppers may be less of a cost issue going forward as well.

Two hoppers is awesome when I had my install done they were just coming out the hoppers would not link with each other yet

I think it has great potential.. 3 tuners per Hopper was a bad idea.. But I got 2 Hoppers so that problem isn't an issue for me.. Seamless integration would be nice. And with the new Dish Sling App for my Android today, my Sling actually seems to work like it should.. So all in all, I am very Happy with my Hoppers..

Got two hoppers and two joeys. Love the ability to share shows between both hoppers. Don't know if I will keep the second joey ,since I could use my hdmi splitter to mirror the hopper in the living room to the computer room. But for now it's cool to be able to watch something different in any of the 4 rooms. All I need now is OTA support and Manual timers and the hopper will be the Best DISH receiver I've ever had.:happyd2:

With recordings now being shared, works out great if you want to watch a movie in a different room! I think it's a great system

I agree, Even without a few features I might enjoy, it is the best DVR system I have had.

losing tuner

you think I could get a free 211k due to abc being missing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)