Hopper freezes during playback of recorded events

vulcanccit

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
So if I do an On Demand recording, or a Watch Later On Demand recording, randomly during playback the movie just freezes, as if you hit pause...then the only thing that works is the guide... you cant watch any other dvd event, nor can you go back to any live channels. If you select something from the guide it just brings up the frozen video. I have to restart the dish. If you go back to whatever you watched before it is as if it was never watched, meaning it wont have a resume.... Also if it is On Demand watch now and it happened, then usually it will show that it was completely watched and if you play it back, it will freeze at the same spot.

It does not seem to happen, that I know of, on events that have been recorded via a timer.

I have called dish several times and they always say they show no errors,... they say to call them when it happens... but I explain that it is so random and it may work during the entire movie and do they really want to stay on the line that long? they always ask if I rebooted, etc, its been going on for a few years. Not sure what to do...

Had the same thing happen over the w/e exactly as you described while wife was streaming Outlander (on demand). Did the same with a couple of other on demand shows). Did a couple of resets and unplugs with same result. Removed the "plus' from the system and works fine now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Had the same thing happen over the w/e exactly as you described while wife was streaming Outlander (on demand). Did the same with a couple of other on demand shows). Did a couple of resets and unplugs with same result. Removed the "plus' from the system and works fine now.
What do you mean about removing the 'plus" ? is that a setting? I am not familiar with that. Thank you in advance :D

so you are saying, if I called Dish and said I want to BUY a NEW Hopper, then life would go on? Meaning they wont come out and fix or replace as it is leased and they really have not incentive to fix it? but if I just buy one then chances are the new one will perform as designed?

so you are saying, if I called Dish and said I want to BUY a NEW Hopper, then life would go on? Meaning they wont come out and fix or replace as it is leased and they really have not incentive to fix it? but if I just buy one then chances are the new one will perform as designed?
Leased or purchased perform the same. They should send someone to fix it regardless.

I guess I will have to escalate or something. I have called about 3-4 times but over the course of a few years. I have not had a lot of time to stay on the phone with them and jump thru hoops... I kind of gave up, but maybe I just need to demand it somehow.

What do you mean about removing the 'plus" ? is that a setting? I am not familiar with that. Thank you in advance :D
Sorry, was going on the assumption you had a Hopper Plus system (new(ish) android small companion box) that accompanies the Hopper.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

No this is the traditional hopper 3. Did I post in the wrong area? I might call them this weekend. If any of the Dish tech have any "lingo" I can use to convince them, that would be great lol. Short of me say it is all &#^#ed up lol

So I finally convinced Dish to send me a new Hopper. Guess what, it still does the freezing!!! I replaced the ethernet cord from the dish to my network switch in the room with the hopper. Still freezes at random. That switch goes to another switch, then to the switch that connects to the router. So I thought lets just run a cable direct to the switch connected to the router... STILL freezes (always random after an On Demand recording). I replaced my cable modem to a newer version DOCSIS 3.1 instead of 3.0. STILL Freezes. My speed tests are getting about 800 megs down and 37 up. Xfinity is the network ISP. I am at a complete loss here. Any ideas before I get with support again? A note on the freezes...after the reboot, I can play the movie again and fast forward past the freeze part of the movie and it will continue to play. However, in that scenario, it may or may not freeze later. In ALL cases, the movie shows the full length that it should show. Download speeds during the download show anywhere from 88 to 120megs. I have been testing not he same movie ... I have tried a second movie and it froze at the very end...

Any ideas?

• Wow
I had it check for the latest software and it did an update. I tried another on demand, from the guide, told it to watch now, and it froze after about 3 minutes. This time I was able to recover from the freeze, by going to TV Viewing Options, TV Activity, then DVR, and chose another DVR'ed movie, then stopped the movie then went to live TV. In the TV Activity Screen I also tried to select an inactive tuner, and I also tried to join a tuner that was in use in another room...none of that worked... only clicking on DVR and choosing another movie (the one that froze earlier before the update).

Also I will add that I have Apple TV, Prime Video, Peacock, Paramount Plus and I can watch all of them daily, nightly, stream movies with out a hitch. So I am at a loss why Dish cant seem to perform the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)