This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Hopper Harddrive failure/ looking for DiRT

My hard drive died too. WTF? Just did a chat to get a replacement.

The rep told me it would be a new unit, not refurbished. (I have my doubts.)

Coming from a previous rep...Reps don't know Sh*t... We really were the low man on EVERY Totem pole. The folks here seriously know more than ANY CSR. Thats not insulting, it honestly is just not part of their job. They are there to field calls, and try and make as many people happy as quickly as possible.

IIRC, the new ones are covered with the traditional styrofoam-y bag, and the refurbs are plactic shrink wrapped.

Yep, that is exactly how mine came. Shrink wrapped two Styrofoam end caps, a foldout insert with setup/activation instructions and nothing else (no cables, remote, etc.).

IIRC, the new ones are covered with the traditional styrofoam-y bag, and the refurbs are plactic shrink wrapped.
That sounds very plausible. No real reason that refurbished models can't be put in "bags" either. I've had both and the replacements (due to a failure) were shrink-wrapped. The Hopper w/Sling I just had installed (by a tech) was in a bag.
Yep, that is exactly how mine came. Shrink wrapped two Styrofoam end caps, a foldout insert with setup/activation instructions and nothing else (no cables, remote, etc.).
The lack of accessories are a good indicator. Someone moving from one model of receiver to a different model would (likely) need a new remote, but if you're just swapping like models, it's not necessary.

Well it has finally happened. Second HDD failure message, and this time it was the real deal. Power plug reboot did not fix it. I lost everything. Oh well. Time to get with DIRT.

My replacement was packaged as described. Shrink wrapped with styrofoam end caps. Also came with remote and HDMI cable.

My hopper hard drive died this morning no warning at all everything is gone RIP. The unit is less than 2 years old seems like an early failure rate for a hard drive .I have a 622 and a 522 and a dish player laying around that will still spin up .I own all my receivers what is the best route to get it fixed a new hard drive are new receiver ?

Reactions: stimpson
If you have not tried it yet, unplug for 20 seconds and plug it back in. You may get some more use out of it and enable you to transfer to to an EHD.

Mine was leased so I didn't bother, but if I owned I would first have run Spinrite on the drive to try to correct the failures (I used to do this all of the time with my Series 2 Tivos when I was on Directv), then make a plan to transfer my content and install a new drive.

I'm sure it would be easy to change the HDD.

turned on this morning and message on screen said hard drive failure and was reformatting all timers would be saved during ( upgrade ) I don't think formatting is a upgrade but all data was gone and box is like new .it seems to be working but it must be on hospice now . what make and type of hard drive is in the hopper ?