Hopper has been nothing but a big hot mess

Thanks! Wondering though if there's any advantage/disadvantage between the two choices? Either plug everything back into ethernet and disable bridging or have a single hopper with ethernet and bridging enabled... ? Either way isn't a problem, just would like to know what the "best" way is....

Just looking for some help...

it seems you are knowledgeable about the Hopper. So if I could I would like to throw out a hypothetical situation for you and hopefully you could tell me the true answer. I know that the Hopper is advertised to record prime time of your local big three or four. for a scheduled time each night. I know I can remove that feature as well.

So, What I want to know is. IF I have a Hopper and three joeys. How many channels can I record on AT THE SAME TIME. On each joey and the hopper.

For instance my daughter wanted to record a show at 9pm and we wanted to record 3 other(all on other Joeys) channels at 9pm on the same day(all of them being outside of the big three or four primetime) What will the system do and what will the system not do ? I have been calling DN and calling DN and none of the sales team has a straight answer. I just want the facts. Before I sign away my first born for back charges and regret for not having all the answers beforehand. Is there a table that would explain the DVR abilities and inabilities ? I.E. you can watch X while you record Z and you can record on X while watching Z that was recorded previously.

I just hope that this all makes some sort of since to you. These are real questions from someone that just wants to be well informed beforehand.

Thank You.

Just looking for some help...

it seems you are knowledgeable about the Hopper. So if I could I would like to throw out a hypothetical situation for you and hopefully you could tell me the true answer. I know that the Hopper is advertised to record prime time of your local big three or four. for a scheduled time each night. I know I can remove that feature as well.

So, What I want to know is. IF I have a Hopper and three joeys. How many channels can I record on AT THE SAME TIME. On each joey and the hopper.

For instance my daughter wanted to record a show at 9pm and we wanted to record 3 other(all on other Joeys) channels at 9pm on the same day(all of them being outside of the big three or four primetime) What will the system do and what will the system not do ? I have been calling DN and calling DN and none of the sales team has a straight answer. I just want the facts. Before I sign away my first born for back charges and regret for not having all the answers beforehand. Is there a table that would explain the DVR abilities and inabilities ? I.E. you can watch X while you record Z and you can record on X while watching Z that was recorded previously.

I just hope that this all makes some sort of since to you. These are real questions from someone that just wants to be well informed beforehand.

Thank You.
Joeys dont record. Just the hopper and its three tuners.

h8en said:
Scherrman it seems you are knowledgeable about the Hopper. So if I could I would like to throw out a hypothetical situation for you and hopefully you could tell me the true answer. I know that the Hopper is advertised to record prime time of your local big three or four. for a scheduled time each night. I know I can remove that feature as well.

Thank You.

This wasn't directed at me, but I can answer it. The hopper has three tuners. You can watch/record three different things at any one time. If you enable PTAT you can use one tuner to record the bug four networks each night during prime time and use the additional two tuners to watch/record other things.

Joeys have no tuners of their own. They are wholly dependent on Hoppers for programming. So adding joeys to a setup will not allow you to view or record additional live programming.

So if you imagine that you will ever need/want to view or record more than three live programs at once (excluding PTAT) you'll want to go with two hoppers and two joeys rather than one hopper and three joeys. That will give you six tuners to cover your live tv and recording needs.

As for viewing pre-recorded content. That is independent of tuner usage. All tuners could be in use, but Hoppers and Joey could each watch content from the Hoppers' DVRs.

Hope that helps clear it up. Given your hypothetical, I'd recommend two Hoppers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

These are real questions from someone that just wants to be well informed beforehand.
2H/2J for your household instead of the 1H/3J you were originally considering. That should keep the conflicts to a minimum.

Hopper has had some bugs, but I still see it as a great product. Even when we had the bad code, I knew it would be fixed. Maybe you would be better off with a 'dumb' cable box, for your 'dumb' mind... Not so complicated. There is a price to pay for being on the bleeding edge. If you don't want to take it, don't. You are acting like a Jack A**

h8en said:
Scherrman it seems you are knowledgeable about the Hopper. So if I could I would like to throw out a hypothetical situation for you and hopefully you could tell me the true answer. I know that the Hopper is advertised to record prime time of your local big three or four. for a scheduled time each night. I know I can remove that feature as well.

Thank You.

Sounds like you need 2 Hoppers and 2 Joey so you can record 6 different thing at a time or 5 and primetime anytime.

Sorry for the delay. What the others have stated is true. One hopper can only handle 3 things. It can use 3 tuners to record shows. If PTAT is on 1 of those tuners can record all the programs from the big 4 networks. If you have multiple people with multiple recording habbits then you should go with 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. I have this set up and love it. By far the happiest I've been with my TV set up ever.

Just to beat it to death, the Joeys can direct the Hopper to record, even though they have no tuner of their own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)