An RV can I

visch1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Cape Cod
In less than a week I am going to have my first Dish experience with the installation of ONLY 2 Hoppers. Right now the den tv is the main one used, with the LR and BR very lightly used. The RV is parked about 50 feet from the den. For the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] installation I want a Hopper in the den and the other one in the LR. Can the Hopper be EASILY used in the RV by just connecting a cable to it or is it more complicated? Next I’ll inquire about portable dishes. TIA

Assuming you want to take one of the Hoppers when you travel with the RV.

You need to get a Solo for the RV. If you are only going to use a tripod, the Solo could be mounted outside the RV so only one cable needs to enter the RV. But I would recommend putting the Solo inside the RV and using two input cables from the dish. Someday you might want to use a Joey in the RV bedroom.

Do not use the "Cable" coax input for satellite. It is connected to the roof batwing antenna amplifier and distorts the satellite signal. Add coax inputs for the satellite dish.

While the portable domes dishes looks easy, to be able to use your Hopper well, you will need a dish on a tripod. For most RVers, the WA and a DPP 1000.2 or 1000.4 with a WA head. If you are going to spend all your time in the East, then a regular 1000.4.

For the tripod, I recommend TV4RV.com, the HD model. It is an adjustable length leg tripod that makes getting a vertical mast on rough terrain a whole lot easier. Invest is a good meter.

If you RV is areas with lots of trees where you would have to position the dish a distance out, invest in solid copper core dual coax RG6 cable.

Thanks for the response. I use the RV during hot weather parked next to the house instead of cooling the whole house seeing the living area is only about 150 square feet along with total yard privacy. What I have now is a splitter off the cable co. cable across about 15 feet into the cab window and into the cable box. Can I replace the cable box with the Hopper without a lot of setup each time I do the hookup? Naturally after the Hoppers are installed. also I will be looking into a dish for road RV use.

In that mode, there should be no problem of extending the Hopper connection to the Dual like with the cable you are using now. This is assuming that the cable is RG6.

If it wasn't for the extra fee, this would be an ideal use for a Joey.

You probably want to add a Joey for each TV that does not have a Hopper.
When you travel you will need a dish as described above and a solo node or a duo node.
I have two Hoppers in my RV one in the LR one in the BR.
I am currently using a tripod mounted 1000.2 WA dish. You need to get quality barrel connectors if you use them to get from the portable dish into the node inside the RV. I have three barrel connectors in the RV wall, one end wired to the dual node inside, the other end available to connect the dish outside the RV. The first time I moved the RV I disconnected the outside cables and one of the barrel connectors came apart internally. I did not notice the problem until I reconnected and could not get any signal on the onscreen signal meter. After a $100 service call and tracking down the signal loss with a meter we identified the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)