Hopper Help

billormac

Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Lake Arrowhead, CA
I am thinking of going with a new Hopper because of losing Our Distant Network. We need to be able to record more than one program at a time and record while viewing live TV. Will Hopper do that for us? We have a home and an RV Can I move it back and forth or do I need 2 Hoppers? What dish would I need for my RV tripod. Is there anything coming down the line to get both East and West cost networks? I have lots of questions and appreciate the help.

I am thinking of going with a new Hopper because of losing Our Distant Network. We need to be able to record more than one program at a time and record while viewing live TV. Will Hopper do that for us? We have a home and an RV Can I move it back and forth or do I need 2 Hoppers? What dish would I need for my RV tripod. Is there anything coming down the line to get both East and West cost networks? I have lots of questions and appreciate the help.

Depends on where you are traveling but a 1k.2 would be for Western Arc and a 1k.4 would be for Eastern Arc. I would recommend a 1k.2 since your tag says you are in California. The Hopper has 3 tuners so you could record 2 things at once and watch another, record 3 things at once or record 6 things at once using Primetime Anytime. DISH is unaware of other distant network providers at this time.

Note: Primetime Anytime will only work if you have the locals for your current location. You may contact DISH to change this address as necessary while traveling in order to receive the local networks associated with the designated market area you are in.

You can use a one dish solution now for both EA and WA by using a 1000.2 dish with the corresponding LNBF. I would recommend two Hoppers, one to keep at your house and one to take with you unless you don't mind unplugging and plugging it back in when you travel. Instead of dealing with the headache of calling and switching your address where ever you are or changing out the LNBF and adjusting the skew and elevation constantly I would buy a OTA USB for the Hopper and when you get into an area with different locals you would just have to scan for them. The reason I say that is because you can use and eastern or western arc dish anywhere in the US. The only issue is if you're using a WA in an EA market you will not receive locals. The OTA USB will resolve that. In my opinion you should get 2 hoppers. Say you live in an eastern market. You leave that Hopper at home recording the eastern market locals from your city. Your second hopper you take with you and while your other hopper is recording EA locals say you drive into a WA market. Plus in the OTA USB into your other hopper, scan for locals, and record those. If you get a hopper with sling that you leave at home that's connected to high speed broadband and you have good signal at home you can stream stuff from your home Hopper to wherever you are.

Audit team might not be too happy. -IF- they call, you'd better have both available to answer questions. Better to have a single Hopper and carry it back and forth. Not really that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It'll be fine. You could be what they call a "snow bird" account. Just remember, if you get a single hopper system that you take back and forth you will need two solo nodes. A two hopper system will need two duo nodes. That's assuming you wouldn't want to keep screwing and unscrewing your node from your house. The hopper system works a lot different than any of the systems before it. If you just need to record one show while watching another I would just get a 722 if I were you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)