Record to a Replay from 211k

waylew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
northern WEST new york
How can I,or is it even possible,to get an anamorphic output,from an HD channel of course, thru the composite out.I want to be able to record and playback with proper aspect ratio on a REPLAY dvr.Seems the only thing I can get from the composite is letterboxed.This is with a VIP211K.I've tried the format button and looked thru the menus,but can't find anything to do what I want.
My AZBox Ultra and Hughes HTLD (used for OTA) output this way and recordings look fine.And before you say pay the 40 bucks and get a hard drive for the 211k,it's just not in the toy budget at this time.Toy budget doesn't exist at the moment :(.

Hmmmm,didn't think I had component IN on my Replays,guess I'll have to look again,and put my glasses on.:D
edit
Okay just looked,as I thought,no component in just out.5040 and 5504

Last edited:
Component inputs are quite rare.

I don't think you can do what you want. I believe TheKrell tried this some time back. You might ask him.

Yes I did and I do. The default output mode on the TV1 composite outputs of my 722 is anamorphic widescreen. Actually I haven't tried this recently. But I used to record HD/widescreen programs all the time via my Hava Platinum, and got DVD quality mpeg2 unencrypted recordings which I can play anywhere. ;)

I have a Toshiba dvd recorder. It has compositeand s-video only. In a discussion a few years ago, it was said that no dvdr has component ins in the US. When I had a 722 it had s-video out. The Hopper does not.

Yes I did and I do. The default output mode on the TV1 composite outputs of my 722 is anamorphic widescreen. Actually I haven't tried this recently. But I used to record HD/widescreen programs all the time via my Hava Platinum, and got DVD quality mpeg2 unencrypted recordings which I can play anywhere. ;)
I connected the composite out of TV1 on my 722K to my Panasonic DVD recorder and came up with decent enough recordings. The 211 series though don't output widescreen via composite. What is needed is a component to composite/s-video convertor box. You can find them anywhere online. Although, the really cheap boxes have some problems with colors (greyish blacks, faded/washed out colors). Read the reviews on them at monoprice, Amazon and AVS Forum.

I've looked at the converters but by the time you get a decent one of those,might as well pay the $40 and put an EHD on the 211k.Like I said earlier,toy budget is nonexistent so I guess I'll just have to live with it.:(

I keep in the back of my mind the Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2. Note it has component in as well as HDMI. If I were to ever leave Dish, I think I'd spend some months dumping EHDs thru this to BDs and DVDs.

It's something to think about if pennies (LOTS of pennies) fall from Heaven and the toy budget opens up (wide).

vip211k,didn't really expect the S vid to be different from the composite,but I tried it anyway.Guess I'll just have to wait til I can afford a component to composite converter or the $40+hard drive route.And as far as I can see it's gonna be a long wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)