Hopper Install Complete - Random Observations

DustoMan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 9, 2010
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
The installer has just left and I'm digging through every menu on this thing. I couple of things I noticed:

EHD Transfer appears to be enabled. Initially we were told it was going to be read only. This is good because I wanted to dump all my recordings from a 500GB drive to a new 1.5TB drive. I didn't have enough time to do that. On the Joey's when you select Recordings Transfer, it says the feature is Coming SOON. ;)

Got the Hopper in the living room passing though the Logitech Revue... no problems there. And the device can be controller just like a 922 without integration.

The network setting screen now has a drop down that lists the four methods you can use to get the Internet into your Hopper:
Ethernet Top
Ethernet Bottom
MoCA
Wireless

I'm currently set to MoCA and it must only let you select the methods it shows as being active because when I hit the red button I can't move the cursor. Also under the MoCA method, there's an option that says "Frequency Scan". What's this for? The options are "Restricted" or "Full". The default is "Restricted". When the tech was setting up the Joey's I noticed a lot of picture breakup kinda like what happens when you use Wifi and the signal isn't strong enough. Perhaps setting it to "Full" will fix that?

Also under the Network Sub-Menu is a "Whole Home" menu option. This is where you go to change your device name and look to see what MoCA devices are seen including all the Joey's and HIC. On that screen there's a setting called "Display Setting" and under that you can select to have a MoCA quality icon displayed on screen. Might come in handy for the DIY'ers with troubleshooting their coax quality.

I'm going to mess around some more from my two Joeys and see how they work. So far, I'm really impressed with this box. It's super fast. The install was pretty easy.. at least from my perspective. The HIC just worked... No fiddling necessary. And the Joey's linked up instantly... no issues there either.

Oh and one more thing... it is with great pleasure and relief that I can tell you...

:clapTHE YELLOW AND BLUE BUTTONS WORK IN IR MODE!!!!!! :cheer2:

:cue chorus of angels singing HALLELUJAH!!! :angel: (Now don't break it again, dish...)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have timers and Harmony remotes to program. :D

I noticed that once the Joey get 172 degrees it shuts down. This just happened to me. I forgot I had my router sitting in top of it.

So I did some troubleshooting last night to try and fix the unstable joey connection in my office. There must have been a loose connection at the node or something because all I did was unscrew the cable and screwed it back in and it was fixed. :up And looking at the HIC it's not blinking anymore. I thought at first that the Ethernet and Video Network lights blinked when there was activity... now maybe I think it means there's an unstable connection?
Another thing I noticed which didn't occur to me at first, but was a real "No DUH" moment, was that each joey and hopper is getting an IP address from my router. I thought maybe just the hopper would and then it was handing out it's own addresses to the joeys. So just to be on the safe side since, to be frank, I have a sh*t ton of IP connected devices in my home. I increased the number of IP addresses my router was handing out.
Oh when I ordered my Sling Adapter just now, I poked around on the programming page and saw that the Superstation Pack was back. (!!!) When I turned on HBO, it wasn't there so I had to subscribe to each channel individually. So I knocked $3 off my bill! :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)