Hopper issues since software update S419 NACB

rvtechnician

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Since our last software upgrade (S419 NACB) we have been having a number of problems. Our Hopper installed 3/12 has been extremely slow and freezes often. Intermittently, it can take 10 seconds to change channels. Pressing the apps button freezes the unit completely. Downloading on demand programming freezes the unit completely. Restarts, of course mean DVR recordings are lost. This has been ongoing daily. It started immediately with the update. I have contacted Dish more than 10 times. After speaking with multiple techs, going through troubleshooting steps many times with no issues found, a replacement Hopper was authorized. While waiting for the replacement, we connected up an external hard drive to transfer our DVR'd programs. Once the new Hopper arrived, we installed it and connected the external hard drive and sling. Neither we're recognized. The new Hopper still freezes and is extremely slow. We are seeing no real improvement. Neither the external hard drive or sling work as the Hopper doesn't recognize them. Multiple calls to Dish have proven frustrating. They now admit there is a known issue with the external hard drive since this software upgrade. (What's the point of purchasing an external hard drive and transferring programs that cannot be transferred back or viewed?). After another series of calls to support, they decided to replace the Sling. We received the new Sling yesterday only to find that it won't work either. There is no red light just as my original Sling had no red light ever since the software upgrade. I asked the tech directly why I am expected to pay for services that will not work and they cannot fix. His response is that that's just the way it is. We're left with a Hopper system that functions slowly and has functions that will not work at all. There have been numerous trouble tickets submitted with no response, no update, no return calls or email. We are several months from a contract expiration. I don't feel we should have to pay a contract termination fee. Dish service is unacceptable. The fact that they force a software update that renders their antiquated equipment useless is ridiculous. Software updates should be a choice, not a requirement. Dish should be sending us a newer Hopper with the faster processor at no charge since they've made our original Hopper inoperable. They've refused to do this unless I sign a new 2 year extension. I will not sign an extension since they cannot demonstrate that the system will work. Yesterday, I asked the tech to transfer me to a supervisor. I was placed on hold for more than 20 minutes on a call that lasted well over an hour. The call was then terminated by them without ever connecting to a supervisor. I'm looking for suggestions. Please advise

My Hopper has also slowed down noticeably when changing channels lately, especially if switching from a non-local channel to a local. I don't have an OTA module. It also is slow to respond to the remote for a few key pushes when I turn it on in the morning.

My Hopper has also slowed down noticeably when changing channels lately, especially if switching from a non-local channel to a local. I don't have an OTA module. It also is slow to respond to the remote for a few key pushes when I turn it on in the morning.
Reminds me of a computer that has outlived the software updates, (the hardware is too slow for the software)?

Yup...recent "updates" have killed the Hopper, IMO. Mine went from reliable and stable to a box that has seemingly constant issues. I'm at a point now where I'm having to reset mine almost daily to keep it running (and that's when it doesn't just up and decide to reset itself while I'm using it). My brother has a Hopper and has had an endless string of issues with his as well...all since the "update". Joeys have become so slow its a pain to try to watch TV in those locations unless you turn it on, put in on a channel and leave it there.

I hope the grand HDMI-CEC addition was worth all of this. I know there is another update "fix" on the way, but I wonder if we've ventured past the point of no return, at least for the original Hopper, if not for the HWS too. :(

Last edited:
Two places to try. Contact DIRT here or call and ask for executive resolution department.
If anything can be done they will provide the solution. If you don't like the answers you get call back and talk to another in the exec dept, some of them are more creative than others. Upgrading to the Hopper with sling will solve one of your problems, the EHD problem may be fixed with the 1/10/14 update I hope. There are many of us here waiting for the miracle.

same problem here. Hopper keeps freezing up and needs to be reset. These problems did not exist before the last update. Replaced the Hopper, still didn't work. Had the tech out who replace the node. worked fine for 5 hours, then frozes. Tech coming out again today, but I don't expect this problem to be resolved until they fix the software issue. May have to seriously look at Direct TV.

Yeah, upgrades to an old pc are often not good. The difference is.....I decide not to upgrade my old pc's and have also declined an upgrade on my Apple AirPort Extreme which doesn't work. It was simple. Just roll back the update and go on with your day. The Hopper is different. You get the update whether you want it or not. No choice, just live with something that doesn't work and pay for it by signing a one way contract that makes them provide absolutely nothing for a fee you cannot get out of.
My OTA module works fine by the way. The Sling and external hard drive do not.

Mine has been OK most of the time but I too get drastic slowdowns, freezes, and spontaneous reboots since the last software update. I have been tempted to call Dish but then it will be OK for a week or more.

Sounds like a typical software update at DISH to me: One step forward and three steps back. They always used to break something useful in an attempt to add some new feature and it looks like they have continued the tradition.

The only good thing I can say about recent updates is that my custom favorites lists are now stable and I can add and remove 1 channel at a time. The other stuff like different icons, lack of an "S" on icons, the stupid new search feature that saves every keystroke you enter into history, etc can be backed out IMO.

The only good thing I can say about recent updates is that my custom favorites lists are now stable and I can add and remove 1 channel at a time.

Ironic you should mention favorites lists...my brother called me a few nights ago upset that his Hopper had just, out of the blue, spontaneously lost all of his custom favorites lists. He had to rebuild them from scratch.

On a separate note, last night, I was trying to listen to some of the Sirius channels on my bedroom Joey. In a ~15 minute span, the Joey rebooted itself twice, then came back, worked for a few minutes before tossing an error that it had lost its connection to the hopper and I had to disconnect and reconnect to continue. Said the heck with it and went to sleep. Woke up this morning and its working again. Such is the new life of the Hopper system, I suppose. :(

Ironic you should mention favorites lists...my brother called me a few nights ago upset that his Hopper had just, out of the blue, spontaneously lost all of his custom favorites lists. He had to rebuild them from scratch.

On a separate note, last night, I was trying to listen to some of the Sirius channels on my bedroom Joey. In a ~15 minute span, the Joey rebooted itself twice, then came back, worked for a few minutes before tossing an error that it had lost its connection to the hopper and I had to disconnect and reconnect to continue. Said the heck with it and went to sleep. Woke up this morning and its working again. Such is the new life of the Hopper system, I suppose. :(

Too bad your brother didn't think to restore his favorites from his remote. They are all there, just waiting to be used... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)