hopper/joey and VOD (bb@home and such)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tdhutton

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Atlanta
hey, I currently have a 722 & 612 that I am upgrading to a hopper and 2 joeys. I like the new VOD through Dish. The thing I don't like is HD content takes a long time to download before it will play (40 minutes or longer). I assume the delay is due to the compression / codex that dish uses for VOD.

I have used Netflix in the past and really liked it as it was instant VOD in HD. I know Netflix is highly optimized with its compression.

Do the new hopper/joey boxes have faster access to VOD? I am hoping that the new units support different encoding for the VOD making things quicker and are more similar to how Netflix does it.

I was able to start watching a couple different HD movies within about 20 seconds of starting download... word around the shop is that the new processor is way better for streaming.

have you used VOD with the old VIP equipment before? I am curious about before and after experience with speeds.

Never did the Dish Cinema VOD, just the Blockbuster (Formerly Dish Platinum)... On a 10Mbps connection, receiver direct-connected to router, hopper took 20 secs to start streaming. I never had the patience for the 722k to stream... it took far longer to start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts