Hopper/Joey network connection

hointz

Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Upstate NY
I currently have a setup with 1 Hopper and 2 Joey's. Currently everything is connected via a Hopper Internet Connector but I have ethernet cables to all the different locations and would prefer to get rid of the HIC and just go with a direct connect. Question is there any benefit or problem with connecting the Joey's as well as the Hopper? I've read previously that everything will work with just the Hopper connected but that I need to direct-connect the Joey's if I want to use DLNA features. I've also read that if I direct connect the Joey's it can cause problems. Not sure what the right answer is.

Thanks

Just test it with one direct connection to a Hopper. If all OK ,you are set. 213 software enabled bridging in the Hopper. It looks like 215 starts with Hopper bridging off, but if it was working under 213, you can turn it back on.

There are no benefits gained from direct connecting every receiver vs a HIC (hopper internet connector). And bridging from hopper seems to be in beta stages as far as I'm concerned, causing too many issues. I would personally stick with the HIC until bridging is more stable.

Yes. I dunno. I might try to get a free one (if I feel like I really need one,) not going to get my hopes up though.

The tech just hooked my 2 Hoppers (at the time) to Ethernet. Now with Hopper bridging I just have 1 Hopper connected to Ethernet and the other 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey gets Internet thru MoCA, then I have another Joey hooked up wirelessly so it gets Internet anyway.

Last edited:
Got S216/S268 on the H's/J's. Had to re enable bridging on the Ethernet-connected Hopper and now all devices have Internet access. So far everything's great. Don't think I will be needing the HIC if things keep going this smoothly.

I just called Dish and complained that my upgrade, which was on 3/19 right after release of the H/J system did not include a HIC. I have 1 Hopper connected to the internet and most features work fine but I can't run any DLNA apps. They're sending a tech out today to install the HIC and supposedly waiving the $15 service charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)