Hopper / Joey question

Sponge14

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I would like to know if the Hopper has a TV 2 out like the 722k does, where it will output a watchable signal over Coax? Right now I have my TV2 backfed into the rest of my house where everyone else watches the same channel. Can I still do this on the Hopper with no Joeys? Can I do this if I have Hopper and 1 Joey?

Also, is there any way to avoid the $7 a month lease fee if you buy your Joey's outright? Seems like there's really no benefit to Joeys other than making the wiring easier for their installers if this is the way it is....

The Hopper is an HD only system, with one TV output without a Joey. You can watch on an SD TV however. Just as now, it would not matter if you bought the Joey or leased it, the cost for a second TV is $7.

You can mirror other TV's, from the Hopper, but they all would be watching whatever the Hopper is watching. Also at this time you can not get just the Hopper, you have to get a Joey also. I have seen a couple of posts where someone said they were able to get just the Hopper, but most can not.

Thanks for the quick replies... I just threw away 2 RF modulators because I figured I would never need that again, damn... It also sucks about having to pay the $7 a month for hardware I would own. So other than a really big hard drive the Hopper seems like a big waste for me and a huge money maker for Dish. Might as well keep the 722 and add external hard drive to it.

Thanks for the quick replies... I just threw away 2 RF modulators because I figured I would never need that again, damn... It also sucks about having to pay the $7 a month for hardware I would own. So other than a really big hard drive the Hopper seems like a big waste for me and a huge money maker for Dish. Might as well keep the 722 and add external hard drive to it.

It's a pretty sweet system, but like you, many other folks feel the same way. It's for sure not for everyone.;)

It's a pretty sweet system, but like you, many other folks feel the same way. It's for sure not for everyone.;)

Yeah it sucks because I didn't follow this site's coverage of the system until after it's official release, so I was under the assumption that the Joeys would be purchased but not paid for monthly. I could have lived without the TV2 out if this was the case, but with the Hopper I would need 4 Joey's (if that's even possible) with 2 of them seeing extremely rare use.... Oh well.... Wonder if they will still activate the external hard drive for free?

I would like to know if the Hopper has a TV 2 out like the 722k does, where it will output a watchable signal over Coax? Right now I have my TV2 backfed into the rest of my house where everyone else watches the same channel. Can I still do this on the Hopper with no Joeys? Can I do this if I have Hopper and 1 Joey?

Also, is there any way to avoid the $7 a month lease fee if you buy your Joey's outright? Seems like there's really no benefit to Joeys other than making the wiring easier for their installers if this is the way it is....

Seriously, you really think Dish sunk a ton of money into developing the Joey just to make the wiring easier for installers??

The main advantage of the Joey is that it gives you both HD and DVR on its TV as oppose to the "TV2" with a 722k/722/622 in which you do get DVR but only receive a Standard Definition picture, which on a HD tv looks like total crap.

Seriously, you really think Dish sunk a ton of money into developing the Joey just to make the wiring easier for installers??

The main advantage of the Joey is that it gives you both HD and DVR on its TV as oppose to the "TV2" with a 722k/722/622 in which you do get DVR but only receive a Standard Definition picture, which on a HD tv looks like total crap.

What I meant was, the advantages are far fewer with having to pay for the boxes on a monthly basis, over having a receiver in each room.

Basically you get a reciever in each room that can watch recorded shows in the whole house, kinda like AT&T U-Verse has been doing for a while now.

What I meant was, the advantages are far fewer with having to pay for the boxes on a monthly basis, over having a receiver in each room.

Basically you get a reciever in each room that can watch recorded shows in the whole house, kinda like AT&T U-Verse has been doing for a while now.

the joey is not a reciever, its a terminal
the only reciever is the hopper

Well, in my house the Joeys are a huge advantage. I use to have a 922 with TV2 split between the kitchen, bedroom and bar. Then had a 211k in the basement. Now I have HD on every TV and they all share the same DVR recordings, other than the 2 Hoppers. I never have any conflicts in the house and can record more shows.

With VIP equipment you still have to pay $7/mo. to get HD on more than one TV so there is no benefit there.

Well, in my house the Joeys are a huge advantage. I use to have a 922 with TV2 split between the kitchen, bedroom and bar. Then had a 211k in the basement. Now I have HD on every TV and they all share the same DVR recordings, other than the 2 Hoppers. I never have any conflicts in the house and can record more shows.

With VIP equipment you still have to pay $7/mo. to get HD on more than one TV so there is no benefit there.

$10 a month for a true DVR, which the Hopper/Joey provides.

Sponge14 said:

The terminology needs to adjusted, its not "lease fee" its programming access fee. And no you cannot avoid the 7/month.

The hopper/joey system is differrent than the Vip series of recievers. It does not have a modulated tv 2 port. You must have a joey to access the other tuners at other locations, if you want to have atleast 2 seperate feeds.

The benefit to a joey, HD at that lication instead of SD only.

The terminology needs to adjusted, its not "lease fee" its programming access fee. And no you cannot avoid the 7/month.

The hopper/joey system is differrent than the Vip series of recievers. It does not have a modulated tv 2 port. You must have a joey to access the other tuners at other locations, if you want to have atleast 2 seperate feeds.

The benefit to a joey, HD at that lication instead of SD only.

For me, the HD is not important on any TV other than the TV1. The other TV's are extra living room, bedrooms, etc, where the TV's are too small to benefit from HD. It's a cool concept for some people, just not for me. My only benefit would be the massive hard drive, which I still may bite the bullet for as I always find myself having to delete things to stay over 5hrs available recording times...

Does the Joey have an RF remote control? I could maybe distribute the Joey to the rest of the house through an RF modulator and have the same setup as I have now with all the benefits.

For me, the HD is not important on any TV other than the TV1. The other TV's are extra living room, bedrooms, etc, where the TV's are too small to benefit from HD. It's a cool concept for some people, just not for me. My only benefit would be the massive hard drive, which I still may bite the bullet for as I always find myself having to delete things to stay over 5hrs available recording times...

Does the Joey have an RF remote control? I could maybe distribute the Joey to the rest of the house through an RF modulator and have the same setup as I have now with all the benefits.

Yes the remote is an RF remote. You could use an RF modulator with the Joey, but you have to make sure you keeps those lines separated from the MoCa lines that the Receivers utilize.

dustinw82 said:
Yes the remote is an RF remote. You could use an RF modulator with the Joey, but you have to make sure you keeps those lines separated from the MoCa lines that the Receivers utilize.

Our regional manager has a joey mirrored and sent back thru the moca lines and split out to another tv. 1 hopper/3 joeys/5 tvs. And works just fine.

sponge,

the monthly costs on h/j are constant whether you own or lease.

owning just means you don't/didn't have to extend your contract.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Owning a Joey also allows you to turn off that outlet when not needed so you save a few bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts