Hopper/Netflix suggestions, bugs, etc

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Here's a UI improvement idea courtesy of our 5-year old:

After finishing a show on Netflix, she was at the screen with a small video window in the upper-left, a 'back' arrow, with the word "Back", below that, three suggested programs, etc. The arrow kinda looks like this:

a.png
BACK​

Since this is new to all of us (in our house - just upgrade to the HWS today), she tried pushing the 10-second-back arrow on the remote. They look pretty close! That didn't work, of course - you have to hit the "CANCEL" button to go back.

Why not map the 10-second-back arrow to the 'back' command ? Longer-term would be to add a "back" button to the remote. It's pretty standard/normal on a ton of devices (smartphones/tablets, smart TVs, other set-tops, etc) nowadays.

Last edited:
At the moment the Netflix app is the default on that Netflix sent them. They haven't tweaked anything yet.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not tried to replicate this yet but accessing Netflix from Menu while a show is paused may cause the Hopper to lock up. Anybody else try this and have this happen?

Reactions: Skytrooper
Here's a UI improvement idea courtesy of our 5-year old:

After finishing a show on Netflix, she was at the screen with a small video window in the upper-left, a 'back' arrow, with the word "Back", below that, three suggested programs, etc. The arrow kinda looks like this:

Since this is new to all of us (in our house - just upgrade to the HWS today), she tried pushing the 10-second-back arrow on the remote. They look pretty close! That didn't work, of course - you have to hit the "CANCEL" button to go back.

Why not map the 10-second-back arrow to the 'back' command ? Longer-term would be to add a "back" button to the remote. It's pretty standard/normal on a ton of devices (smartphones/tablets, smart TVs, other set-tops, etc) nowadays.
These same type of confusing buttons that often don't make sense is also the case with TiVo. As Scott said, a lot of this stuff is on NETFLIX's end and NOT Dish (nor TiVo). I can't tell you how many times I've pressed the skip back button on the TiVo only to realize that the skip back button does NOT skip back in Netflix: I have to use the REW and FFW buttons, and YES, I have trouble intuitively backing out. BTW, these sorts of updates to the apps can take YEARS before we see Netflix do anything to change it. That has been the case with TiVo. These apps on DVR boxes are more complicated than we might think while a Roku is all about apps and streaming.

1. 3D Support when connected to a 3D compatible device.
2. Joey Support. It doesn't do me much good to have it on my Hopper when that TV already has Netflix built in.

I noticed the Hopper Netflix picture was a lot softer than Netflix on my Blu-ray player hooked up to the same TV as the Hopper.

Got it. Super Joeys too right?
And I think the Hopper looks a bit better than my Roku.

I've seen something that I haven't narrowed down, so I'll throw out what I know....

If you use Netflix and then stop viewing stuff, but leave the app running, when the receiver (or the app ?) goes to sleep, it can be very slow/unresponsive to wake up. Anyone seen anything like this ?

Netflix has locked my Hopper up a few times. For the most part it doesn't. There are certain things that lock it up that I can't remember what I did to cause it to do so. It was certain buttons trying to get out of Netflix or something like that.

I haven't had it lock up but it rebuffers and stops at 25% and I have to back out and start again. I've pretty much gone back to using my roku, much less hassle.

Dan

I only have two complaints with the Hopper:

1) Prime Time Anytime combined with sports (mostly football). When setting up a timer for a Non-PTA game (Sunday afternoon for example) the end time is automatically set to 60 minutes past the guides end time (which is great for games that are longer than scheduled or for overtime). However, Sunday night football usually goes past 10pm (CST). So, all of the Sunday Night Football game recordings get cut off some time in the 4th quarter. I can't tell you how many games I have watched that get to the 4th quarter in a good close game and it gets cut off. You might say, "Just set up a timer to record the game and set the end recording time to 60 minutes." My answer: It's really difficult to set up a separate recording for a show that's in PTA. And, even if you can maneuver around it, I am pretty sure that the separate timer does not create a separate recording (with the additional 60 minutes) :(

2) I wish Favorites Lists would be whole-home and not just receiver specific. I have created a Favorite List on the guide of the Hopper, but I have to do it all over again on each of the three Joeys. Ugh. It should be sharable to the Joeys.

Here's a feature request: I wish I could select my favorite sports teams and their games would automatically be recordered. I can't tell you how many football games I have missed because I forgot to set a timer. And ball games always have a different title. So, it's not like setting up a timer for a sitcom that automatically gets recorded each week.

Reactions: Stargazer
I only have two complaints with the Hopper:

1) Prime Time Anytime combined with sports (mostly football). When setting up a timer for a Non-PTA game (Sunday afternoon for example) the end time is automatically set to 60 minutes past the guides end time (which is great for games that are longer than scheduled or for overtime). However, Sunday night football usually goes past 10pm (CST). So, all of the Sunday Night Football game recordings get cut off some time in the 4th quarter. I can't tell you how many games I have watched that get to the 4th quarter in a good close game and it gets cut off. You might say, "Just set up a timer to record the game and set the end recording time to 60 minutes." My answer: It's really difficult to set up a separate recording for a show that's in PTA. And, even if you can maneuver around it, I am pretty sure that the separate timer does not create a separate recording (with the additional 60 minutes) :(

2) I wish Favorites Lists would be whole-home and not just receiver specific. I have created a Favorite List on the guide of the Hopper, but I have to do it all over again on each of the three Joeys. Ugh. It should be sharable to the Joeys.

Here's a feature request: I wish I could select my favorite sports teams and their games would automatically be recordered. I can't tell you how many football games I have missed because I forgot to set a timer. And ball games always have a different title. So, it's not like setting up a timer for a sitcom that automatically gets recorded each week.
Why is it so difficult to set up a timer for a show that is PTA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)