Hopper not connecting, Joey will

elmc

Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Mi
We upgraded to the hopper earlier this week. The day the tech was here was the only day the hopper would connect to our internet connection.

I've tried disconnecting our router and connecting directly to the modem and it still won't connect.
The bottom Ethernet connection is ghosted out sometimes, sometimes it's there.
It will show packets being transfered even though it says failed connection. No features that use the internet will work.

We have no other problems with any devices connecting to the internet. We had no problems with our 922.

If I run a Ethernet line to the room where a joey is, that individual joey will connect just fine.

What is going on here? Any suggestions?

It worked on day one, and everything else he has works, so the provider probably makes no difference. Ditto the router/modem other than to reset it.

If you are familiar with going to the Router menu, check to see that it actually lists the Hopper as being seen. If it does see the Hopper, you can start with that. If you can or can not do that, I would do the following it has many times fixed a connection problem with devices for me.

Unplug the Hopper from power.
Turn off the Router.
Reset the modem simply by unplugging it from power, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in. (To be extra thorough unplug the cable going to the modem when you unplug the modem, then after turning on the modem plug in the cable again. (even though everything else works)
Then turn on the Router, letting it complete it's start-up.
Now plug in the Hopper to power again. If needed set up the internet connection again.

Since it worked on day one, unless something changed like a connection somewhere it should work with the same equipment now. While it could be by going to the Router menu would reveal something like a DHCP conflict, if you are not familiar with doing that, don't, and since it worked on day one, it's less likely a setting in the Router would help.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping

Here in pic 1 you can see my hopper broadband setting page.
1.JPG

Here in pics 2 and 3 you can see my DHCP settings in my router
2.JPG3.JPG
Here in pics 4 and 5 you can see my general status of my router
4.JPG5.JPG
Here in pics 6 and 7 you can see the updated general status after connecting to joey and the broadband setting page from that joey.
6.JPG7.JPG

I followed your steps and nothing has changed.
I also tried different ouputs of the router and changing to different ethernet cables.
The joey does not let me use any internet enabled functions even though it shows up on my router status.

I am using for the hopper:
D-Link DIR-625 router
Motorola sb-5100 modem

Something seems to be wrong with the Hopper. My installer set up my Hopper with a built in wifi adapter but he also wrongly added an external wifi adapter in the USB slot. I am not saying that is in your case, but I had the same problem as you.

You may have to have him come back and swap out the Hopper.

I ended up calling and reporting my problem.

They had me do a few things (including calling Comcast to verify no problems) and then agreed to send me a new hopper. It will be here tomorrow, hopefully that's it.

Solved

It was a bad hopper.

Got a refurbished hopper today, broadband worked immediately. Backed up recordings on EHD, backed up timers in remote, restored most everything.

Primetime Anytime recordings did not transfer to the EHD, is that normal?

It was a bad hopper.

Got a refurbished hopper today, broadband worked immediately. Backed up recordings on EHD, backed up timers in remote, restored most everything.

Primetime Anytime recordings did not transfer to the EHD, is that normal?

I believe you need to wait till they clip from the internal hard drive before they will appear as an option to transfer to an ehd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)