Hopper not outputting 5.1 Dolby Digital

choclate

Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
illinois
Hi, just got my Hopper setup. Hopper is putting out only Dolby Digital 2.0 Channels and not the 5.1 channels expected per my also brand new Sony BDVN780W Home Theatre Receiver system. The HT perfectally plays even streamed content from my DLNA that is 5.1 and lables it 5.1.
All Hopper/Dish channels that are in Dolby Digital are just coming with 2.0 Channels though from what I can see. Others (Stereo) channels are in LPCM as expected but I would expect HBO and other Premium movie channels to be in 5.1. I have tried all possible settings
Current setup is

HDMI From Hopper goes to my Sony Home Theatre Receiver HDMI Input
HDMI from Sony goes to my TV

So ensuring that Sony is getting unbobstructed signal but still getting the Dolby Digital as 2.0 channels only. Already tried the audio digital cable as well in parallel from Hopper to Sony Home Theatre just to check that would make the signal go up to 5.1 but still not there per my receiver.

So basically my receiver is telling me that Hopper is only outputing 2.0 channels and not 5.1

Any help or suggestions are appreciated

go into your receiver and set the output for Dolby Digital / PCM and retest it.

if you don't set audio output it to both, you'll only get stereo exactly as you described.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Already set it up to Dolby Digital/PCM since i set it up, checked again it is still there, so that is not the issue.
I don't think it is Stereo sound for HD channel, it is indeed Dolby Digital but Dolby Digital 2 channels and not Dolby Digital 5.1 like I am getting from other sources if i connect to the audio receiver. For shows that have (Stereo) in the info. or the non HD channels it is stating LPCM (which is stereo as expected). So my problem is with the shows /premium Movie channels that are supposed to be outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 are not giving me 5.1.

I had my hopper system installed on Saturday and before the installer left he indicated that I should use the optical connection on the hopper to get better sound, I thought HDMI does DD so why would it matter. I too only got DD 2.0 on HDMI so I tried hooking up the optical cable and with the optical connection I get DD 5.1.

Have either of you tried a different or newer HDMI cable? Maybe an older-spec cable is causing the issue? (Just a thought...not sure if that would have any effect on the audio or not)

I know on mine that was installed just before Thanksgiving, I haven't had any issues getting DD 5.1 over HDMI through my Yamaha Receiver.

Let me try the optical cable alone and by not passing my HDMI through the receiver input. Also am thinking of maybe investing in a better HDMI cable on the side to make sure. Any reocmmendaitons (not planning to go Monster though as reviews state it is just the brand name premium of 500%)

Have either of you tried a different or newer HDMI cable? Maybe an older-spec cable is causing the issue? (Just a thought...not sure if that would have any effect on the audio or not)

I know on mine that was installed just before Thanksgiving, I haven't had any issues getting DD 5.1 over HDMI through my Yamaha Receiver.

HDMI has supported DD and PCM Audio since consumer release.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I have not had any problems getting DD 5.1 with a HDMI cable from either a Hopper or Joey. I use the low cost cables from Monoprice.com. Are there any settings on your AV receiver that would affect the audio input?

Let me try the optical cable alone and by not passing my HDMI through the receiver input. Also am thinking of maybe investing in a better HDMI cable on the side to make sure. Any reocmmendaitons (not planning to go Monster though as reviews state it is just the brand name premium of 500%)

In the world of premium cables, Monster is inexpensive.

Assuming it's a short run from hopper to your AV receiver there's no value in a more expensive cable. Even on longer runs, its wire gauge that trumps $$$. The longer the run the larger the signal cables need to be. That's where you go from AWG28/24 to 22.

The TVs I have with hoppers aren't connected to AV Receivers to check the HDMI output. It's possible they still haven't figured out how to transmit multi-channel via HDMI but you think they would have with the number of years their HDMI equipped receivers have been out.

I am sure it is not a receiver issue as it is one of the newer models Sony (HDVN790W) system and it perfectally plays and detects 5.1 from my laptop or even network files it plays off DLNA. It is just the hopper- there are just a few settings under Hopper in Audio section so that also i have tried to play around with without success.
I was also thinking HDMI cable is probably not the issue

I just had my hopper installed this morning, my previous 722k had to be connected via component and optical (because of HDMI issues). I'm trying HDMI with the Hopper. I haven't had that chance to see if I'm getting 5.1 or not yet. I'll check tonight. I'm using a $9.00 10' 28awg HDMI cable from monoprice.

I just had my hopper installed this morning, my previous 722k had to be connected via component and optical (because of HDMI issues). I'm trying HDMI with the Hopper. I haven't had that chance to see if I'm getting 5.1 or not yet. I'll check tonight. I'm using a $9.00 10' 28awg HDMI cable from monoprice.

I would love to know the results so it can help me troubleshoot, please do share your connection settings

Are you certain that the content you are watching is presented as 5.1? HBO usually has the information just prior to starting the presentation.

I'd start with something you're certain is broadcasting 5.1 as a test just to be sure that the source is broadcasting 5.1.

Tried channel 349 as well, still shwoign Dolby Digital 2.0ch 48khz 384kbps in the display window of the audio signal :(.
I am really waiting for the fellow who got his Hopper setup today and is going to confirm back on his connections. Maybe some one here also has a Sony Home Theatre receiver that can help me out. I am certain it is not the reciever though as all other connections are giving me 5.1 except Hopper. Maybe I should try bringing in my Joey from the other room and see if that outputs 5.1. The other room just has a SD tv currently with Joey

I checked it last night, and on the shows that have 5.1 I was getting it over HDMI. There were quite a few that only had 2.0, but I was definitely getting 5.1 when it was available. My hopper is set for both DD and PCM. I really don't know what could be causing your issue. There are only a couple options in the Hopper audio menu. My gut feeling is that there is some setting in your AVR that is re-processing the signal to 2.0. I don't know anything about your AVR, but you could try AVS Forum, maybe someone over there has had the same issue. My AVR is an Emotiva UMC-1.

*Edit, Have you tried swapping HDMI inputs/cables?

Last edited:
I checked it last night, and on the shows that have 5.1 I was getting it over HDMI. There were quite a few that only had 2.0, but I was definitely getting 5.1 when it was available. My hopper is set for both DD and PCM. I really don't know what could be causing your issue. There are only a couple options in the Hopper audio menu. My gut feeling is that there is some setting in your AVR that is re-processing the signal to 2.0. I don't know anything about your AVR, but you could try AVS Forum, maybe someone over there has had the same issue. My AVR is an Emotiva UMC-1.

*Edit, Have you tried swapping HDMI inputs/cables?

Thanks for the confirmation, I guess that is the next step to see if it is indeed my new AVR. I did plug in my laptop to the same input as I had the Hopper on the reciever yesterday to play a 5.1 encoded file and it was being detected as LPCM 5.1 channels. Have orderd some new HDMI 1.4 cables as current were old 1.3 version (I did also check under Hopper diagnostic Tests option where it detected the HDMI cable as 1.3)

Btw can you also please lay out your connections ICBM99, are you using straight HDMI out of Hopper to your receiver and then receiver into your TV. No digital audio cables etc?

Btw can you also please lay out your connections ICBM99, are you using straight HDMI out of Hopper to your receiver and then receiver into your TV. No digital audio cables etc?

Thats correct, HDMI only from Hopper to AVR, then HDMI to TV. No other digital or analog connections.

*Edit, I assume you're not using some sort of Audio return channel. My guess would be that if you were, any connection would have the same affect, but you say its working on other sources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts