Dual Tuner OTA adapter (AirTV)

man00

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Is the tuner in those about as good as in TV..or better, worse?
I have DB8e antenna with rotor, anyone know of forum that still around
with tv antenna talk
thanks

I have two AirTV tuners for my Wally. Neither is as good as my Sony TV tuner or my Tivo Premiere tuner.

My Dish VIP211K locked 86 channels, the AirTV tuner installed on my new Wally receiver only locked 57. Every TV in the house locks more than the AirTV.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I have DB8e antenna with rotor,
My AirTV dual tuner adapter picks up 67 channels and my Roku TV also picks up 67. Of course, I didn't spring for a fancy DB8E 8-element bowtie.
Instead I recently went all in to the tune of $14.72 including tax and shipping on the famous Leadzm TA-001. antennasdirect says my towers are 61 miles away, so not too bad.
1605910674522.png

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
Since you guys are so knowledgeable, Peoria local channels are within <20 miles of any antennas and I pick those up with no issues with my Televes that Dish still sells. It's about 20' in the air, pointing slightly East North East at about 110 °.

1605969151438.png

Over >50 - 75 miles away to the southeast if I could reach that far, are the Champaign/Springfield/Decatur locals. I'd like to hit both using, if needed 2 Antennas combined, but trying to find that longer-range Antenna is daunting with so many out there. And how to combine 2 into one feed?

1605969221027.png

I have DB8e antenna with rotor, anyone know of forum that still around
with tv antenna talk
thanks
My DB8e isn't all that great, I pick up two more channels with it than I do with $6.00 indoor from ebay

• Wow
Reactions: Altitudinous
Since you guys are so knowledgeable, Peoria local channels are within <20 miles of any antennas and I pick those up with no issues with my Televes that Dish still sells. It's about 20' in the air, pointing slightly East North East at about 110 °.

View attachment 148959
Over >50 - 75 miles away to the southeast if I could reach that far, are the Champaign/Springfield/Decatur locals. I'd like to hit both using, if needed 2 Antennas combined, but trying to find that longer-range Antenna is daunting with so many out there. And how to combine 2 into one feed?

View attachment 148960
You could try this: Amazon product ASIN B01KW8LAG2
No guarantees that it will work, look at the comments, but it's $20 and might be worth a try.

My Airtv dual tuner adapter doesn't work very well for long range either..We are camping 68 miles SE of Columbus Ohio this week..My Wally with the adapter and a Televes DAT BOSS Mix LR antenna wouldn't pickup a signal.. Since I also have Orby I switched over to it and now I'm pulling in Columbus with a signal watching Buckeyes football

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_132423651.jpg
    IMG_20201121_132423651.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 155
Wouldn't a two way coax spliter work to combine two antenna inputs?
Technically YES, in actual real life, rarely. It all depends on where you live, and what directions the two antennas are aimed in, and if they have fairly tight beams. If they both receive the same station(s) it can wipe out the signal completely on that one channel at least.

Better to use two antennas and at the TV/tuner connect them with a switch, not a combiner. The uvsj combiner us to join VHF channels with UHF channels and that is not your case.The splitter reversed as a combiner is ok for strong signals but it radiates 1/2 of each signal out the other antenna so for fringe reception it is not practical.

This presents another problem since the Dish USB tuner is not capable of adding channels with a scan with present software. Might have to play with the switch as the scan proceeds so the proper anteena is selected as the tuner scans frequencies (lots a luck).

Reactions: charlesrshell
Better to use two antennas and at the TV/tuner connect them with a switch, not a combiner. The uvsj combiner us to join VHF channels with UHF channels and that is not your case.The splitter reversed as a combiner is ok for strong signals but it radiates 1/2 of each signal out the other antenna so for fringe reception it is not practical.

This presents another problem since the Dish USB tuner is not capable of adding channels with a scan with present software. Might have to play with the switch as the scan proceeds so the proper anteena is selected as the tuner scans frequencies (lots a luck).
I'm running to the TV and using the TV Tuner, but good to know!

Technically YES, in actual real life, rarely. It all depends on where you live, and what directions the two antennas are aimed in, and if they have fairly tight beams. If they both receive the same station(s) it can wipe out the signal completely on that one channel at least.
I haven't personally tried it yet, but I read that you also need to have the same length of coax from the antennas to the combiner. There was an explanation for this requirement but I forgot it.

I did a test with same OTA same location..My results were airtv tuner got 21 channels, I used 42" Emerson from bedroom took it in living room and got 28 channels. Guess the tuner in emerson is a good bit better...Not trying to crap on the airtv tuner, just my results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)