Hopper on Older HDTV

djw88

Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Maine
Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a situation that I know nothing about. I'm hoping someone here can walk me through what to do. I have an older HDTV (LG DU-42PX12XD) and am looking to hook up my hopper. It only has DVI (no HDMI unfortunately for the Hopper and my Xbox360) and I am in need of a fix. What would be the easiest way to set up both of these HDMI devices?

Thank you in advance!

Get a new tv with hdmi. But if all you have is is dvi ,you might use the component red,blue,green, connections and rca white and red audio cables for sound. IF you can find a dvi to hdmi adapter cable and the red and white audio cables , that would work too.

The component Red/Blue/Green are HD, right? Would there be a substantial difference in picture quality at 720P/1080i between the three? (HDMI/DVI/RedBlueGreen)

The component Red/Blue/Green are HD, right? Would there be a substantial difference in picture quality at 720P/1080i between the three? (HDMI/DVI/RedBlueGreen)
Yes, it is HD. Picture quality wouldn't be much different between Component and DVI.

Keep in mind that the Component RGB cables only carry the video signal. You would still need to connect Red/White composite audio cables as well.

Awesome! Where do you guys typically buy your wires? WalMart/Radio Shack? Or is online always the way to go?

Usually Amazon here. Doesn't really matter, just don't overspend. There is no reason to spend more than $10 on a cable.

Many folks, including myself, get cables at monoprice.com. Best and cheapest.

PQ between HDMI and component is mostly the same.

Reactions: jbernardi
Believe it or not, I've seen great bargains on cables at Menards, including component cables. Many times I've stocked up on HDMI cables that were actually FREE after in-store rebate, & are of great quality.

Many folks, including myself, get cables at monoprice.com. Best and cheapest.

PQ between HDMI and component is mostly the same.
I've spent a lot of money at monoprice, but usually find Amazon usually works out less with shipping. Usually check both.

With a TV that old you are gonna suffer and waste that hopper if you go this route. I suggest also getting a new TV since they are so cheap now it isn't even funny.

I don't think this TV is a waste. It does 720p for video and had optical inputs for digital audio. The only thing the OP would miss is the few 1080p PPV movies.
You can go a few routes:
  • HDMI to DVI cable for video and Optical cable for audio. HDMI is really DVI with sound. The only issue this option might pose is whether or not your TV's DVI port has a compatible version of HDCP copy protection. Newer HDMI devices do not always like older DVI devices and you will get errors on your screen about incompatible HDMI devices. I have an older HDTV too and I can't go the HDMI to DVI route
  • Component for video and Optical for Audio. This is the simplest and will certainly work without issue. The only risk there (minimal) is if the content providers (HBO, AMC, etc) decide to enforce copy protection any device not connected via HDMI will be down-rezzed to SD. This has long been talked about but nothing has happened. Considering component output is slowly disappearing from electronic devices (I think TV set-top boxes might be the only thing left with component output) I think the content providers will let it die through attrition.
I highly recommend monoprice.com for any and all cables.

Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a situation that I know nothing about. I'm hoping someone here can walk me through what to do. I have an older HDTV (LG DU-42PX12XD) and am looking to hook up my hopper. It only has DVI (no HDMI unfortunately for the Hopper and my Xbox360) and I am in need of a fix. What would be the easiest way to set up both of these HDMI devices?

Thank you in advance!

Monoprice has a DVI to HDMI cable which might help: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?se...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CIfxgfacicECFRIS7AodBG8AFQ

There are more found by Google: https://www.google.com/search?as_q=...mages&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl

Most of Dish's programming is in 720P and 1080I, which is HD. 1080P is only available on Pay Per View. Bottom line, Component or DVI is all you need for 99% or your viewing. All this talk about the new 4K format and 1080P still ain't the norm. A HDMI equipped TV is required for 1080P.

Your Hopper will need a HDMI to DVI Cable for the picture. Or you can use the Component Out for the picture. Either way, you still have to use the Red and White Outputs for sound.

As far as your X Box, I think they use their own in house cable. Am I correct?

I have a old Sony 34" Wide Screen CRT,720P/1081I used with a Joey with a HDMI to DVI cable. The picture on this 208 pound beast is better than my new LCD's.

Hell, that heavy and I wouldn't be moving my tv. Ever. That thing better last a lifetime. And if I ever moved again, the new homeiwner is getting a free tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts