Hopper only outputs 2-channel stereo when powered on

I have an Onkyo HT-RC160. On mine I use the remote to select the audio properties. Usually I have it set to Cable/Dolby B. There are multiple buttons on the remote for different audio properties.

I have been noticing this problem for quite a while. It happens on the Hopper and both Joeys using 3 different sound systems. I've just gotten used to changing channels to get DD 5.1 back. I will try turning on the Dish receiver first to see if the problem goes away.

I'm seeing this issue as well. On my Hopper connected to my AVR it always boots in 2.0 until changing channels.

On my Joey, connected to a Panasonic TV, it will boot with no audio at all. To get audio back, I have to either re-connect the HDMI cable, or change to a channel that is 2.0 (usually an SD channel), then change back to a 5.1 channel. I have a powered HDMI splitter in-line for the Joey (the other TV has no issues), and I've always kind of assumed the audio issue was related to the splitter and not the Joey, but the Hopper is a direct connection to the AVR.

I am not experiencing this. I wonder if it has to do with the order things are turned on. I have a cheapo harmony 300. The watch tv activity turns on the TV, Onkyo AVR, and finally the hopper in that order. Like many of you all my devices connect through HDMI to the AVR with a single HDMI out from the AVR to the TV.

I double checked after seeing this thread. When my system boots up to a 5.1 broadcast my system is correctly outputting 5.1 sound. If I was last watching a SD channel or an HD channel that doesn't broadcast 5.1 sound like MLB Network it outputs Dolby PLII.

I have done some playing around and found that if I power up the TV and AV receiver first, let them boot up and then turn on the Hopper I get 5.1 right away. Now to tweak the Harmony to do this.

Is there any chance everyone having the problem is using a short (Less than 6ft) HDMI cable? That is a known general issue with an HDMI cable. And if it's just 6 feet, try a longer one.
I disagree a problem with the cable would show up just with sparkles or other video problems. Timing is an issue with HDMI and that includes how audio is transmitted. When I connected my tablet to the TV the sound would not work unless I exited then entered whatever program I was using. Then I realized it was the short length of HDMI cable, got a longer one and no problems. Note that the video did work.
If it isn't the length of the HDMI cable with the Hopper, it then sounds like the Hopper itself does have the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)