Hopper only outputs 2-channel stereo when powered on

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Im using a Denon, and what I get is 2.0 channel until I change the channel usually on startup. Even if the current channel on start is outputting DD 5.1, I have to change channels to get the DD 5.1 coming in on the Denon.

My settings in the Hopper are correct, been this way for me for a long time.

I would try connecting the TV digital audio output to the AVR, to see if the problem goes away.

I connect my hopper to my Onkyo 609 via HDMI and don't have this issue. You shouldn't have to connect to the digital audio output on your TV. Many TVs don't even pass 5.1 sound out of their output. Either way the sound is coming from the HDMI cable in his case so it shouldn't work better going through the TV first than directly into the Onkyo. This isn't the same situation as the hopper's optical problem because he isn't using an optical cable. Those of us getting 5.1 sound to our AVRs through HDMI haven't been reporting the same problem.

Im using a Denon, and what I get is 2.0 channel until I change the channel usually on startup. Even if the current channel on start is outputting DD 5.1, I have to change channels to get the DD 5.1 coming in on the Denon.

My settings in the Hopper are correct, been this way for me for a long time.

Yep, this is exactly what I am experiencing.

For the record, I use a Harmony One to cut the display and AVR on. It does not matter if I cut the Hopper on before or after those two power up, I still get 2 channel until I change the channel.

I use a harmony that turns my TV, Onkyo, and Hopper at the same time too and strangely I am not having this problem. I have in the past but not for a long time.

No telling. I havent complained because it isnt a big deal. I rarely ever watch the channel it turns on to, so it doesn't affect me. Plus the fact the Denon is set to output 2.0 as PLII Cinema, so most would not even notice anyways.

Agree, not a huge deal but should be fixed. I posted about my OTA dropouts in another thread. 2 problems got me to look/post for answers I guess. :)

If people would report these problems and request a $10 a month credit for the hopper audio problems, you would be surprised how quickly they would fix it.

I personally dont' use a surroud sound but based off of the fact that on this thread and the others DIRT has been asking for AVR models and other specific information they are problably still investigating it or working on fixing it.

I guess I'm glad other people have experienced this so hopefully Dish will look into it.

Paging DIRT!

I'll shoot them a PM asking for help on this issue and linking to the thread as mentioned.

As with all things HDMI, this appears to be a timing thing. I experience the same issue if I let my universal remote turn on the system.

Changing channels on Hopper, selecting a different source on the AVR then returning to Hopper or turning Hopper off then on again restores 5.1 audio.

However, if I turn on the TV and AVR, then wait 4-5 seconds to turn on the satellite, I get 5.1 audio initially.

My setup is a Pioneer VSX-92THX AVR and a Pioneer PDP-6020FD plasma TV. HDMI connections from the Hopper to the AVR then HDMI to the TV.

No kidding... here I thought it was my AVR. I experienced this last night. I thought I wasn't getting the proper sound so I switched my AVR thru a few different surround mods and 5.1 Dolby Digital kicked in. I think my system has been in 2.0 for some time now. I have my AVR Yamaha RX-A700 set to "Direct" so whatever comes into the AVR goes direct out to speakers and TV no extra processing. Sounded low volume and no 5.1. I switched to Dolby Digital processing and BIG difference in both sound (now 5.1) and volume. I was actually thinking about upgrading my AVR....

My system has been like this ever since I swapped in the Hopper! My brain got used to no 5.1 which now it sounds the way it should - wow big difference.

Cheers,
?Bob

I guess I'm glad other people have experienced this so hopefully Dish will look into it.

Paging DIRT!

I'll shoot them a PM asking for help on this issue and linking to the thread as mentioned.

Have you tried another HDMI cable? It sounds like this may be a software issue and will need to be reported to our engineers. I will forward this over to them to have them resolve it! Thank you!

Have you tried another HDMI cable? It sounds like this may be a software issue and will need to be reported to our engineers. I will forward this over to them to have them resolve it! Thank you!
It's very unlikely this would be an HDMI cable problem. Cable problems would result in picture sparkles or loss of video, or failure to negotiate a connection at all. It's just when all equipment is turned on at the same time (I assume while HDMI handshake is occurring) that Hopper fails to recognize the AVR's ability to accept 5.1 audio and reverts to 2-channel audio.

If Hopper comes out of stand-by BEFORE the HDMI equipment down stream of it are on, it appears Hopper will output 5.1 audio when the connection is eventually established. Likewise, if the down-stream equipment is on and stable before Hopper is "turned on", all is well. I have verified this with my universal remote by adjusting the power-on sequence: Turning Hopper ON before the AVR and TV works fine. No delays are necessary so there is only a fraction of a second between Hopper ON and AVR ON. Turning the AVR and TV on before Hopper causes issues UNLESS a delay is inserted before Hopper ON. 5 seconds is required for reliable behavior. Shorter delays work intermittently.

It's very unlikely this would be an HDMI cable problem. Cable problems would result in picture sparkles or loss of video, or failure to negotiate a connection at all. It's just when all equipment is turned on at the same time (I assume while HDMI handshake is occurring) that Hopper fails to recognize the AVR's ability to accept 5.1 audio and reverts to 2-channel audio. If Hopper comes out of stand-by BEFORE the HDMI equipment down stream of it are on, it appears Hopper will output 5.1 audio when the connection is eventually established. Likewise, if the down-stream equipment is on and stable before Hopper is "turned on", all is well. I have verified this with my universal remote by adjusting the power-on sequence: Turning Hopper ON before the AVR and TV works fine. No delays are necessary so there is only a fraction of a second between Hopper ON and AVR ON. Turning the AVR and TV on before Hopper causes issues UNLESS a delay is inserted before Hopper ON. 5 seconds is required for reliable behavior. Shorter delays work intermittently.
+1 on the HDMI cable - I do power on my TV and AVR which turns on the Hopper all at the same time. The hopper powers on after the AVR which it's plugged into via HDMI automatically. I actually have to press enter to start the Hopper. So I power on the TV/AVR then hit enter for the hopper to come out of sleep mode. I'll have to see if it works properly tonight as I just figured out the issue last night so I haven't tried it again to see if the AVR will give me 5.1 Dolby. I'll report back .... Cheers, Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts