Hopper OTA Module - not as good as direct to TV - why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bellevuecoug

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Earth
Hello, we recently bought an OTA USB module for the HWS.

We are within 20 miles of broadcast towers ('strong' per FCC) and we were surprised to find that our nice new roof antenna does not get clean performance on a number of channels. The signal bar hops between 60 and 74 on these channels and they pixel up w/lines every 15 seconds or so. Yet the same antenna signal, plugged in to the back of our HDTV via coax, is squeaky clean on all the same channels.

So, is the Hopper OTA module really picky on signal? Did I get a bad one? Anyone else find a difference in performance levels on OTA for their TV direct versus the use of the module? We really don't want to run a separate antenna cable to four TVs all over the house.

I'd say you got a bad module, too. I found that the Dish OTA module through my HWS has the best reception of all my receivers. It pulls in signals from some channels that some of my other receivers say "No Signal" on.

Larry

Hello, we recently bought an OTA USB module for the HWS.

We are within 20 miles of broadcast towers ('strong' per FCC) and we were surprised to find that our nice new roof antenna does not get clean performance on a number of channels. The signal bar hops between 60 and 74 on these channels and they pixel up w/lines every 15 seconds or so. Yet the same antenna signal, plugged in to the back of our HDTV via coax, is squeaky clean on all the same channels.

So, is the Hopper OTA module really picky on signal? Did I get a bad one? Anyone else find a difference in performance levels on OTA for their TV direct versus the use of the module? We really don't want to run a separate antenna cable to four TVs all over the house.

How are you splitting the antenna cable to get to your Hopper OTA module? If it's off a splitter, try just temp MOVING the coax from the back of your tv set, to the Hopper module. Just to make sure you are using the same coax and side of splitter, if you weren't already doing so as part of the test. There could be something wrong on the Hopper side of the splitter, but the other side going to your tv set is ok.

So, is the Hopper OTA module really picky on signal? Did I get a bad one? Anyone else find a difference in performance levels on OTA for their TV direct versus the use of the module?
Most people report that the module does really well - for some, it's better than their TV's tuner, others get better performance from the TV's tuner. At your distance and performance as bad as you describe, like others have said, try another first at least.

Last edited:
There are days I get a message saying "No Signal" from OTA and without changing anything and an hour or so later the same channel is crystal clear.

From personal experience like yours, this can be due to the superior OTA demod in your HDTV. Many of them seem to handle multi-path much better, for one thing (it's not ALL about the antenna when it comes to such problems). While I hope things clear up with a replacement Dish OTA dongle, be aware that most often the OTA deomd in most HDTV's is superior to either TiVo or Dish OTA demods (I believe TiVo and Dish still use the same OTA demods). Sometimes the difference is slight to even being unwatchable via TiVo OTA tuner or Dish OTA tuner, but perfectly stable on my HDTV's.

If you are in a good position, your experience should be adequate with Dish's OTA USB module. However, if you still experience problems getting the channels you want via Dish OTA tuner, please consider a better OTA antenna. This can make all the difference in the world, and seems more vital for the performance of either TiVo or Dish OTA tuners. In other words, you just might need more gain to get the Dish OTA to provide stable signal, and this can be achieved with even your current antenna if it is mounted OUTSIDE on the ROOF. If you are using an indoor antenna and getting such results, it really is you because the HDTV OTA tuners are just better. But do tell us how this turns out.

You nailed it, DishSubLA. It seems I have a superior OTA demod in the TV. The replacement OTA module gave me the same result - despite the close range, we are still not getting a few. We can just live without the 1-2 channels we can't get with the antenna in its current position - it is outside on the roof, but can only be turned so far and I suspect a directional issue is at play here.

So I bothered Dish for a replacement module and I didn't need to - sorry, Dish!

For those who use OTA through the Hopper, what is the typical signal strength to get a noise free picture? It looks like >75?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you have to ship the defective OTA module back?

I offered - they said don't bother. I offered again after I figured out the first one was working as designed. They still didn't want it. When margins are supposedly as tight as they claim, not taking back functional equipment kinda makes me wonder.

Reactions: mrhogansr
In their system, they've already recorded it as defective or a warranty replacement. It's just simpler on their end... That module probably costs Dish a few dollars so it's not worth their time to even "process" the return if it was sent back when all they'll do is throw it in the trash.

In their system, they've already recorded it as defective or a warranty replacement. It's just simpler on their end... That module probably costs Dish a few dollars so it's not worth their time to even "process" the return if it was sent back when all they'll do is throw it in the trash.
Exactly.

Can you imagine whats in their dumpster in the back alley? :)

Think about the cost of shipping. If it costs $15 to ship, and more to process it coming in, and it only costs $30 to purchase, there is not much reason to have it come back. Same reason remotes do not get shipped back to Dish. And why customers have to pay S&H on buyers remorse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts